watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Classic Cars

Started by bog, April 29, 2021, 01:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I just saw on Quest a fully restored X reg Ford Fiesta with alloys sell for....£24,250.   :dft011:

092.gif

bobbo

god i had an x reg fiesta super sport . ybh 999x . i also had a 1973 alfa romeo spider , both cars bright red . thats retirement money eh?
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Cambridge Pete

It's quite a surprise the value of certain older cars. Can't wait for the classic car shows to start up again. Most the exhibitors are very friendly and there is very little snobbery.

Holders

In  the late 70s I sold a 1955 split-screen Morris Minor for £20, then in the early 80s saw the reg. nr. alone (86 BPD) advertised for £2000. That's sickening.

In the 60s, my dad knew some people who lived at the end of a long track, under the downs. The bloke had an Austin 7 parked up on the verge and was going to do it up. He never did and the rusting shell is still within the hedge that's grown over it. What would that be worth now?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

LittleErn

In 1964 I had a half share in an MG PB - cost £70! We rebuilt the steering and had new piston rings fitted. It had a solid chrome gear lever and no synchromesh (I never did fully master double de-clutching). Late in that year it failed its MOT because the rear sub-frame needed welding and that was outside our budget, so we sold it for ......£70! It gave us a lot of pleasure while we owned it. How much would it be worth now, I wonder.

blingo

I had a ford Poplar in sky blue, and a Zephyr 6 that the drivers seat had gone (what do you want for £60?), I had to look through the steering wheel to see where I was going lol

I Ronic

As a kid I used to pass the Bristol Cars Showroom on High St Ken on my way to my Saturday Job. I still have a hankering after one of those. Spare wheel hidden between the nearside front wheel and passenger door. The battery tucked away on the opposite side. Loads of leather and walnut inside.

sunburywhite

In 1972 i dragged an Isseta out of a pon in Staines so I could fix a broken con rod in 903 JNK that I owned

In the end I sold both for £25
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Ronnief

Of all the cars I've owned I think the Morris Minor traveller with the wooden frame would be worth a bit now.  When I sold it I could have done so 20 times over and should have asked more for it.  All my other cars none were earners namely austin 1100 and Austin Montegro. None of which I would call classics. Other cars that I drove but didn't own were Jaguars, Rover 2000 and Triumph 2000 may now be worth a bit in top condition. 092.gif

ScalleysDad

I have a 1972 series 3 landrover. I have only mentioned selling it a couple of times in passing conversation and the response has been bonkers. She will have to go one day when the elbows finally give in, no power steering, but for now she does the job.
Now if we do a thread on motor bikes it could be a record breaker.

blingo

Quote from: I Ronic on April 29, 2021, 07:26:20 PM
As a kid I used to pass the Bristol Cars Showroom on High St Ken on my way to my Saturday Job. I still have a hankering after one of those. Spare wheel hidden between the nearside front wheel and passenger door. The battery tucked away on the opposite side. Loads of leather and walnut inside.

The times I stood at that showroom window in awe as a kid lol

filham

I often wonder how many  old cars have been standing idle in people's garages for 50 years or so awaiting restoration.

bobbo

Fella 6 doors round the corner from me has a 1972 triumph dolomite in his garage been there 30 odd years. That would be a few bob
1975 just leaving home full of hope

H4usuallysitting

I've always liked the old Saab's....had a 900 for a while....great quirky car....with terrifying turbo lag

Southdowns White

Fiesta 1.1L  x reg my first car sometime in the late 1980s, got in cheap off my dad. Despite it being small I could still fit a road bike in the back with the seat down.

bog

In a former life I was a motor mechanic and have had a few old cars. A 1949 Triumph Roadster,(The only one I made any money out of!) a 1947 Rover 16, a 1948 Rover 75 but the one I miss the most is a 1936 Austin Hertford saloon. One of of the many stupid things I have done and one that has haunted me ever since was to sell this for £65 in 1975. Not for what it is worth now but for the car it is.  :doh: :doh: I am fortunate in that I now have a 1936 Austin Eton. I like this as it is older than me, but in a better condition.

092.gif

Abbotsbury White

I had a MG magnet that was lovely bought it off the 2nd hand car dealer in Acton Vale had it for a year everyone buzzing around in their 20's with XR3 me in my Magnet, one of the rear wheels came off in Turnham Green and Actually overtook the car.. Also went through a stage of having about 8 VW campers not split screen but all from the 70's, could pick them up 500-£800 done a bit of body work and tweaking used for a while then sold on the cheapest of these now would be about 10k. Like Scalleys Dad if we spoke Motorbikes then I'm sure there are some classics in amongst the 70 odd I've owned and ridden again not at teh same time
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

Abbotsbury White

Quote from: bog on April 30, 2021, 10:35:05 AM
In a former life I was a motor mechanic and have a few old cars. A 1949 Triumph Roadster,(The only one I made any money out of!) a 1947 Rover 16, a 1948 Rover 75 but the one I miss the most is a 1936 Austin Hertford saloon. One of of the many stupid things I have done and one that has haunted me ever since was to sell this for £65 in 1975. Not for what it is worth now but for the car it is.  :doh: :doh: I am fortunate in that I now have a 1936 Austin Eton. I like this as it is older than me, but in a better condition.

092.gif
Bog was the Triumph Roadster the one with seats in the boot lid?
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

Steven Ageroad

I think all you guy's would love the TV program "Bangers and Cash" on the Yesterday channel, channel 26 on Freeview, on a Thursday night at 8.00. It's about an auction house in Yorkshire that sells lots of older cars, you'd be surprised at the prices they make.

bog

Quote from: Abbotsbury White on April 30, 2021, 10:39:11 AM
Quote from: bog on April 30, 2021, 10:35:05 AM
In a former life I was a motor mechanic and have a few old cars. A 1949 Triumph Roadster,(The only one I made any money out of!) a 1947 Rover 16, a 1948 Rover 75 but the one I miss the most is a 1936 Austin Hertford saloon. One of of the many stupid things I have done and one that has haunted me ever since was to sell this for £65 in 1975. Not for what it is worth now but for the car it is.  :doh: :doh: I am fortunate in that I now have a 1936 Austin Eton. I like this as it is older than me, but in a better condition.

092.gif
Bog was the Triumph Roadster the one with seats in the boot lid?

Yes it was. Then part of the boot lid folded up as a windscreen for those sat there. If you recall Bergerac he drove one in that series.  If you didn't know car seats set in boots are called Dicky seats. There must be some innuendo somewhere there.... :022: