Press Conference: Scott Parker Pre-Burnley

Started by WhiteJC, May 08, 2021, 03:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

MartyFFC

As long as we show our quality, the result is inconsequential

Nero

Theyve been must-win since about 15 games to go but he choose to ignore that fact and play for draws

davew

Quote from: Nero on May 08, 2021, 05:21:39 PM
Theyve been must-win since about 15 games to go but he choose to ignore that fact and play for draws
I made it 34 games so far and how many did we manage?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Cumbrian White

Quote from: blingo on May 08, 2021, 04:35:56 PM
Dead man walking

We'd be mad to lose him. Take 9 games off Man City would they win the league? 9 games off Brighton, Burnley,  Newcastle, would  they stay up.

My view, keep him but back him - sadly the backing bit won't happen

AJW48361

We weren't really ready for going up last season were very ordinary in most games.! Another point was the turnaround after beating Brentford and playing Arsenal a big disadvantage.

Plodder

No, he didn't "play for draws". He set up the team in the formation he thought gave us the best chance of winning each game.  It is reasonable to criticise his choice of  team selections and formations, but not to misrepresent them as "playing for draws".

rebel

Quote from: Plodder on May 09, 2021, 11:16:14 AM

No, he didn't "play for draws". He set up the team in the formation he thought gave us the best chance of winning each game.  It is reasonable to criticise his choice of  team selections and formations, but not to misrepresent them as "playing for draws".

He set us up not to lose games, but the result has been us drawing a lot of matches. We are the only team on the planet to work the ball into the opposition half 20 times and 15 of those times, we are happy to work it back into our own half. All the other teams would have attempted to attack 20 times. But we go forward at 'snails pace'.   

SP

Quote from: AJW48361 on May 09, 2021, 12:42:22 AM
We weren't really ready for going up last season were very ordinary in most games.! Another point was the turnaround after beating Brentford and playing Arsenal a big disadvantage.

Yes, that was certainly the lowest key promotion season I can recollect.  Some of those defeats were painfull.

bobby01

Quote from: rebel on May 09, 2021, 11:23:51 AM
Quote from: Plodder on May 09, 2021, 11:16:14 AM

He set us up not to lose games, but the result has been us drawing a lot of matches. We are the only team on the planet to work the ball into the opposition half 20 times and 15 of those times, we are happy to work it back into our own half. All the other teams would have attempted to attack 20 times. But we go forward at 'snails pace'.

Sorry but I just do not see how he set the team up in the formation to win. I honestly believe we are set up not to lose, and that is the basis of our possession game.
Parker has been given great credit by many for tightening the defence, but in reality has he, we replaced the back line with 4/5 better players, we then played two defensive midfielders, ahead of the we did not for the majority of the season play a striker, two wide men who worked back more than going forward, rlc as the playmaker but I just don't know what to say about that failure and his continued participation, and cav as the front man because he would be mobile and close down and track back.
As has been said and seen by many, we play possession and do not look to get in behind, because mainly we do not pass to a running player in front of them they are usually stationary, lookman has driven me mad this season by his continued cutting back onto to his right foot to go inside, but to be fair to him most times he gets the ball eventually that is his only option.
We have persisted with inverted wingers when it does not work, so I really fail to see where at any time under Parker's stewardship we have been set up to win.
Just my opinion.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Tabby

Parker set us up not to lose most of the Championship season as well. That just seems to be his management style. A lot of it is the same in the Prem, get it up the pitch to an isolated winger who will have to dribble past two players and then possibly create a chance.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: Tabby on May 09, 2021, 11:48:18 AM
Parker set us up not to lose most of the Championship season as well. That just seems to be his management style. A lot of it is the same in the Prem, get it up the pitch to an isolated winger who will have to dribble past two players and then possibly create a chance.

Agreed.

He relies too much on an individual to create something.

Needs to be more focus on "team" attack and cohesion, including support runners from midfield. 

For the large part it's been very haphazard