watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

SP staying confirmed

Started by Blawarmy, May 11, 2021, 05:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jules

I agree with others on here. Nowhere in the article does it state Parker has been confirmed as our manager next season by anyone at the club. In fact, Parker's refusal to answer questions about his future may be pointing to uncertainty over whether indeed he is staying. Also the reference to 'big decisions' needing to be made is also cryptic in the same way.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: The Rock on May 12, 2021, 05:37:00 PM
Parker is a fine manager. If he went to Spurs I bet he could keep them up.

Raneiri was a fine manager. He won something called the Premier League with Leicester.

SJ was a fine manager etc. etc. etc.

Sure they could all do better and have their faults, but their portion of deserved blame for results should be pretty minimal. Amazing so many people put all the blame on Parker.

Well said!

FFC In Oz

Quote from: Craven Mad on May 12, 2021, 09:44:15 AM
Quote from: rebel on May 12, 2021, 08:46:38 AM
Quote from: I Ronic on May 12, 2021, 08:25:11 AM
All this talk of sideways play. I remember a lot of sideways play with Roy. Lots of possession in the first two thirds.

Yep, that got us to the Europa League Final 2010. Parker's 'Parkerball' is passing without purpose. 

Exactly! Under Roy we played with 2 strikers (AJ/Zamora) and inverted winders who knew how to shoot (eg Duff/Davies), fullbacks who'd provide a crossing option for the inverted wingers (Konch/Reither)as well as a pivoting CM pairing comprised of one CM who was creative (Murphy) and the other an enforcer (Etuhu).

Roy knew how to create a well-balanced and dynamic team.

Under Scott, we have wingers AND, for some reason, overlapping fullbacks that  all hug the line but can't shoot/cross, a single striker who's miles away from anyone else, and a deep central midfield 3 all of whom are DMs. It's a mess and clearly won't result in goals.

Sums up the situation in a nutshell.

Midfielders stick too close to the defence and leave the striker isolated.   There's no cohesion in transition, no dynamic patterns of play.

The Rational Fan

Under Scott, we have wingers AND, overlapping fullbacks that all hug the line but can't cross, a single striker who's miles away from anyone else, and a deep central midfield 3 all of whom are DMs. It clearly won't result in goals.

A good summary of the problems, but it fails to realize that Parker had a plan and due to fine margins failed. This year's plan depended on Mitrovic being in fine form and finishing his chances, plus RLC adding a little bit of quality. No one would have thought Fulham would have gone this close if Mitrovic, RLC, and Cairney contributed very little. 

Even so, if FFC had scored all their penalties, then we would have been at 32 points now. Plus, if Lookman and Maja and took their chances against Brighton and Palace, then FFC would be 36 points (with Southampton, ManU, and Newcastle to play) and Brighton at 35 points (with West Ham, Man City and Arsenal to play). 

Last season the goal was 93 points and winning the championship. This season the goal was 38 points and staying up. It looks like we missed by less points this season that last season (12 points compared to 5-11 points).

RaySmith

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 13, 2021, 04:10:49 AM
Under Scott, we have wingers AND, overlapping fullbacks that all hug the line but can't cross, a single striker who's miles away from anyone else, and a deep central midfield 3 all of whom are DMs. It clearly won't result in goals.

A good summary of the problems, but it fails to realize that Parker had a plan and due to fine margins failed. This year's plan depended on Mitrovic being in fine form and finishing his chances, plus RLC adding a little bit of quality. No one would have thought Fulham would have gone this close if Mitrovic, RLC, and Cairney contributed very little. 

Even so, if FFC had scored all their penalties, then we would have been at 32 points now. Plus, if Lookman and Maja and took their chances against Brighton and Palace, then FFC would be 36 points (with Southampton, ManU, and Newcastle to play) and Brighton at 35 points (with West Ham, Man City and Arsenal to play). 

Last season the goal was 93 points and winning the championship. This season the goal was 38 points and staying up. It looks like we missed by less points this season that last season (12 points compared to 5-11 points).

0001.jpeg

And then you can add on all the terrible ref decisions that have cost us at least 5 points.

MJG

and if at times our keeper had flapped and missed a save, or a defender a last minute block on the goal line some of those points would have gone.
Over a season with all the ups and downs we are where we deserve to be.
Just the views of a long term fan

The Rational Fan

Quote from: MJG on May 13, 2021, 05:54:29 AM

and if at times our keeper had flapped and missed a save, or a defender a last minute block on the goal line some of those points would have gone. Over a season with all the ups and downs we are where we deserve to be.

Scott Parker's plan nearly worked, 32 points is where we would be hitting penalties alone. Now, fans want to "throw the baby out with the bathwater", when perhaps all we needed was i) a more cohesive team, ii) better penalty taker and iii) a better right-winger. If FFC can get promoted again, then those three issues are easy to fix upon the next promotion. Every team promoted from the championship has a few holes to fill look a Aston Villa.

Asotosyios

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 13, 2021, 06:22:11 AM
Quote from: MJG on May 13, 2021, 05:54:29 AM

and if at times our keeper had flapped and missed a save, or a defender a last minute block on the goal line some of those points would have gone. Over a season with all the ups and downs we are where we deserve to be.

Scott Parker's plan nearly worked, 32 points is where we would be hitting penalties alone. Now, fans want to "throw the baby out with the bathwater", when perhaps all we needed was i) a more cohesive team, ii) better penalty taker and iii) a better right-winger. If FFC can get promoted again, then those three issues are easy to fix upon the next promotion. Every team promoted from the championship has a few holes to fill look a Aston Villa.

Apologies if I missed it during the season, but can you please describe/explain Parker's plan and how it nearly worked?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Asotosyios on May 13, 2021, 07:01:51 AM
Can you please explain Parker's plan?

Parker's plan was to get a point per game i) by defending, ii) keeping clean sheets, iii) score our easy chances such as penalties, iv) to RLC/Lookman provide some quality chances and v) for Mitro to score 8-10 goals.

Quote from: Asotosyios on May 13, 2021, 07:01:51 AM
Can you please explain how it nearly worked?

Defense and clean sheets worked as planned. If we scored our penalities, then 32 points in 35 games.
Both Brighton Games were 0-0 draws, we could have scored in both games, making it a different season.

Our best five attacking players all have reasons for a poor season. 1,2,3) Lookman, Anguissa, and Mitro caught covid came back playing poorly; 4) RLC never really recovered from injury, and 5) Cairney was mostly injured. Most teams in the bottom half would get relegated if their best five attacking players were injured for half a season each.

Nothing wrong with the plan, we didn't get the few extra points required. Let's get promoted and do better.

If you rip up the current plan, then try another plan there is no guarantee it's better. Repeat this plan a little better and  FFC will end up 17th in the EPL within two to three seasons. We are well positioned to get promoted again, and that is really all FFC need to do in the next year.

clarkey

We would not be throwing the baby out with the bath water. The water is dirty because of the baby who can't select an attacking team to save his life.

Because of the FP rules, let's not spend on players but on a really good , tried and tested manager OR get in Roy as Dof F and have a brilliant young coach under him.There are many many options out there. We might have missed Ediie Howe and Lampard but there are loads of good coaches available.Roy would steady the ship, provide great influence in the transfer market and show the sort of tactical ability we have missed.

Someone earlier pointed out how we break so slowly out of defence, it is one of the key reasons we have failed to score.Parker inhibited his players.

Parker's tactics and selection has been woeful. I really hope he goes to Spurs. But most of asll he is not a Fulham style of manager, his season in the Championship was really bad.I watched every single game at home and he never varied things, never changed a game, his subbing was slow and bad (like Monday at half time 2-0 down in amust win game NO Changes !!!) come on he has been terrible.

bobby01

Sorry rational but for someone who researches well the above does not really make sense to me. The overriding point is if we scored our penalties we would be okay, that is presuming the other team would not react differently and play differently.
I do not believe Parker's intention was a point a game, I believe, rightly or wrongly, we play in his image, keep the ball even if we go nowhere, and his major fear of losing means he cannot adjust to the many, must win games, we have played where we still set up not to lose.
He has stated quite often we are good in the middle third, because keeping the ball there with sideways and backward passing is his style.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Asotosyios

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 13, 2021, 07:37:23 AM
Parker's plan was to get a point per game i) by defending, ii) keeping clean sheets, iii) score our easy chances such as penalties, iv) to RLC/Lookman provide some quality chances and v) for Mitro to score 8-10 goals.
Thanks for this, but it doesn't sound much of a plan - more like "let's defend and then pray we score a goal somehow.

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 13, 2021, 07:37:23 AM
Defense and clean sheets worked as planned. If we scored our penalities, then 32 points in 35 games.
Both Brighton Games were 0-0 draws, we could have scored in both games, making it a different season.

If you rip up the current plan, then try another plan there is no guarantee it's better. Repeat this plan a little better and  FFC will end up 17th in the EPL within two to three seasons. We are well positioned to get promoted again, and that is really all FFC need to do in the next year.

Even if we had 32 points now, we would probably still go down as we would need 7-9 points from the final 3 games.
Brighton was better than us in both games and could have easily won both, making it an even worse season for us.

There might not be any guaranteee that a different "plan" would work better, but I doubt things could go a lot worse - what might have happened? Get relegated? Oh wait...
Also, if that was the "plan" masterminded by Parker for our survival, then in all honestly we need a new one straigt away because it sounds absolutely clueless.

hovewhite

Spurs could well make a move for him and if so think he will go.If he starts the season he will need some wins early otherwise he will be gone.

Friendsoffulham

Parker says he has yet to speak to Fulham hierarchy

Scott Parker says he is yet to talk with Fulham co-owner Tony Khan about his or the club's future.

The Whites suffered relegation for the second time in three seasons on Monday, and are left with three games with nothing to play for but pride.

Not only will Parker's own fate be decided when he finally sits down with man who runs the club on a day-to-day basis, but also the collection of loan players and others in the squad.

"I've not spoken to Tony or the ownership," Parker said. "Not had that conversation yet."

When he does, the head coach will no doubt want to discuss the factors which led to Fulham's downfall.

"We need consistency. Every year a different team – that will hinder long-term success and we need to look at that, and we need to work out whether what we've done over the last four years has been right," he added.

"We always knew this year was going to be a challenge; the youngest team in terms of Premier League experience and the money we spent – around £10m.

"You only have to look at what at what the teams that have gone down have spent.

"The performances have been disappointing, and although we've got points out of 17 games this season, it's been the fine margins that have cost us."

Fulham are away to Southampton on Saturday.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-says-he-has-yet-to-speak-to-fulham-hierarchy?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

Riversider

Just to clarify, the Sky article was complete fabrication,  Parker has confirmed today that he has had no conversation yet with Tony Khan regarding his future,
These last three games, though of little importance to us supporters I suggest they are of huge importance to Scott Parker, if we fold like a deck chair, which is entirely possible, and we concede 10 , then his position will be even more under threat,
I'm on the fence as far as Parker is concerned,  if he stays, he stays,  if he goes he goes, I don't really care either way, but these last three games could well make up my mind and probably the mind of the Fulham hierarchy.

Matt10

If you failed miserably at your job, I wouldn't expect the bosses to come knocking so soon unless to fire you. The fact that it's taken a bit of time is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm curious to see how things go. Where's the popcorn?

FulhamStu

Frankly I am astounded that TONY Khan or both TONY and Shahid have not spoken to Parker.   At least for Parker's morale, they should have called him and said something.  This frankly is more worrying than many things I have heard.  It's a possible insite into whether they are weighing up whether to sack him or not.  Maybe they are waiting for Spurs to make an offer as it would be financially much better than sacking him.   If they are truely behind him for the long haul, I would expect a call to say,  bad luck Scott, we will back you and come back stronger next time.