watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Brand new squad

Started by Ss12white, May 16, 2021, 11:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ss12white

Potentially looking at a whole new squad next year, every club needs a reshuffle at times but I think it couldn't of come at a worse time. Losing all 7 loanees, as well as Betts, fabri,odoi, kmac and  Andre-frank. All the players we sent out on loan come become squad players but that ain't going go move as forward.
We could be in the championship for a few years whilst the crop of youngsters we have brewing make it into the first.
Tough times ahead.

Lozzer

I think we've got a decent spine to the team (For the Championship).
We need a right back, striker, defensive midfielder.
It doesn't need us to rip it up and start again does it?

Ss12white

Left and right wing aswell I think, BDR and IC are decent but if we aiming off for being decent we won't come straight back up.

shepperton white

I am actually looking forward to next season.  Hopefully we will tie some of our emerging youngsters to contracts so bigger clubs do not do a "harvey elliot" on us. Watching the U18's yesterday gave me hope for the future.  They played with style and without fear and were worthy of their win. With the 'permanent' players and a few additions I think we3'll have a good 21/22 season

blingo

We won't come straight back up as long as Parker and TK are here.

SP

Like you SW, I'm focussing on next season & hopefully a return to the normal match day routine.  I also intend doing more away games, so much more attractive away days.  I'm not looking forward to the midweek winter games after a days work.

I'm interested in seeing where our loans end up next season & what offers we receive for our players.

WindyCity

Yup, this is my fear.  Wallowing away in the Champ and quite possibly even lower tiers.  Just hope the lads can keep their noses above next season and at least stay in the Champ.  Will be a big challenge.  Lots of players leaving this squad and undoubtedly new additions.  It does not look good moving forward......

Mullers OG

Once the dead wood has been shipped out (MLM, Fabri, Kamara, Ream etc), the loans have been returned and a few sold (Anguissa, Seri, Mitrovic (?), Odoi, SJ, Knockhaert) we still have the makings of a decent squad at championship level.   I am assuming McDonald either retires, goes into coaching or plays at a lower level following his operation.

GK  Rodak and possibly Betts, if his contract option is taken up, with a number of young keepers in the background.

RB.  Tete, Sessegnon, Fossey

LB    Robinson, Bryan

CB    Tosin, Kongolo, Hector, Bowat, Mawson

MF     Reed, Carvalho, DR, Cavaleiro, Cairney, Onomah

FW     Where the real weakness lies with some good youngsters but limited experience.  The under 18 strikers look the part but good though they may be it is too much to expect them to carry the burden without experienced support.

The major squad weakness is different this time in the championship from last time.  Then we had clear problems at CB which were overlooked for far too long with Hector unavailable until January.  This time it is up front where we are clearly lacking.  Let's hope the DOF and the manager make this an urgent priority and don't wait until the very end of the window by which time it may be too late.

For creativity much will depend upon Cairney.  Whether he will ever be fully fit and back to his best must be in doubt but I for one hopes he returns fit and well as soon as possible. 

All in all after this miserable season I am looking forward to being back at the Cottage and fairly optimistic for next season.

SP

Generally agree Mullers but I think we're light at CB given 2 of the five named have injury problems.  I don't know who Bowat is but guessing a youngster?

Ss12white

I think we struggled the last year we was in the championship, in the end played a cup final in beating Brentford. From that squad we only have 3 new players in tete, Robinson and tosin. I don't see how we push for promotion with this squad. I happy to rebuild if it makes us more competitive once we reach the promise land.

Whitestone

Quote from: Ss12white on May 17, 2021, 07:19:21 AM
I think we struggled the last year we was in the championship, in the end played a cup final in beating Brentford. From that squad we only have 3 new players in tete, Robinson and tosin. I don't see how we push for promotion with this squad. I happy to rebuild if it makes us more competitive once we reach the promise land.

It certainly wasn't pretty in the Championship last year. So many games were a struggle. We didn't put any team to the sword apart from Milwall very early on.

The problem at Fulham is two fold. The recruitment policy and the fact that we have become a yo yo team which means the squad has to be rebuilt every summer. We will need a minimum of seven new players this summer. What's left of this seasons squad is regularly described as a decent Championship squad. That may be the case but more like a decent mid table squad, nothing more. If we are going to finish top two next season, which surely must be the target, once again the squad will need a major overhaul.

Sting of the North

So we have the same squad that actually got promoted last time around, and you mention that we 'only' have 3 new players (which happen to be defenders of which at least 2 have already proven that they can hold their own in the PL, which as you know is a level above the Championship). And then your conclusion is that you can't see how we push for promotion with this squad. Would you care to elaborate on the though process here? Why wouldn't a team that has already showed that they can get promoted from the division, with a few quality additions be able to even push for promotion this time around?

As an aside, I do understand that we may lose some players, but the ball is firmly in our court with most players contracted (or under club option). The loans that we have had this year may not stay (some of them will definitely not), but we didn't have them last time around either. Also, Reed, Knock, Ivan and BDR are under contract now and won't take up loan spots, which means that we can beef up the squad with additional loans if needed.

It may all fall apart for one reason or another, but as far as building a squad capable of promotion we are many miles ahead of last time (and that ended with success).

Sting of the North

Quote from: Whitestone on May 17, 2021, 08:10:05 AM

It certainly wasn't pretty in the Championship last year. So many games were a struggle. We didn't put any team to the sword apart from Milwall very early on.

The problem at Fulham is two fold. The recruitment policy and the fact that we have become a yo yo team which means the squad has to be rebuilt every summer. We will need a minimum of seven new players this summer. What's left of this seasons squad is regularly described as a decent Championship squad. That may be the case but more like a decent mid table squad, nothing more. If we are going to finish top two next season, which surely must be the target, once again the squad will need a major overhaul.

What's left of this season's squad after all loans have been returned (in and out) is a squad of 15-20 players (not counting Kmac) that has shown (in many cases twice) that they are indeed (as a fact) good enough to get promoted from the Championship. Plus also Anguissa, Tete, Robinson, Tosin, Kongolo and Seri.

We will not keep all of them, but we are in a strong bargaining position.

Whitestone

Quote from: Sting of the North on May 17, 2021, 08:49:51 AM

What's left of this season's squad after all loans have been returned (in and out) is a squad of 15-20 players (not counting Kmac) that has shown (in many cases twice) that they are indeed (as a fact) good enough to get promoted from the Championship. Plus also Anguissa, Tete, Robinson, Tosin, Kongolo and Seri.

The previous squads WERE good enough to get promoted but they WEREN'T good enough to stay up so something has to change as far as recruitment goes.

Many of those players staying will be squad players who rarely get regular starts. We need to recruit some quality to support our best players if we are looking to bounce back.

Unfortunately out of those likely to remain we have three players in Kongolo, Cairney and Mawson who have repeated recurring injuries and cannot be relied on for next season. This must be taken into consideration by the club.

A major overhaul is most definitely inevitable again which is far from an ideal scenario.

bill taylors apprentice

Many of these players being quoted as good enough for next season amaze me.

Top 6 was achieved reasonably well albeit in a very dower and hard won way.
Promotion was achieved in the Play offs against a brentford who froze on the night.
All the issues that winning the P/O brings should be avoided if possible.

Too many players listed here will give us a chance of top 6 only and that's really not good enough considering our financial status.

Maidstone Lee

Best I can come up with with what we will have left after the loans go back and the likes of Mitro and Anguissa are gone (quite likely)                   

Rodak

Tete Tosin Hector/Kongolo Bryan

Reed

Carvalho Cairney/Onomah ???

???

We are desperately short up front, need at least 1 new CF and a winger. Need a starter better then the likes of Cav and Knockaert.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Sting of the North

Quote from: Whitestone on May 17, 2021, 09:04:08 AM

The previous squads WERE good enough to get promoted but they WEREN'T good enough to stay up so something has to change as far as recruitment goes.

Many of those players staying will be squad players who rarely get regular starts. We need to recruit some quality to support our best players if we are looking to bounce back.

Unfortunately out of those likely to remain we have three players in Kongolo, Cairney and Mawson who have repeated recurring injuries and cannot be relied on for next season. This must be taken into consideration by the club.

A major overhaul is most definitely inevitable again which is far from an ideal scenario.

We don't need to have a squad good enough for the PL next year, but the year after (assuming we do get promoted). As compared to last time, we will then have Reed, Tosin and Tete who have already (in my opinion) proved that they can play in the PL. We may very well also have Mitro and/or Anguissa that are good enough. If Cairney stays injury free he is also good enough, the same goes for Kongolo. I believe Rodak is good enough. Then we have a lot of players that are good enough to fill out the squad even at PL level. Of course we have to recruit a fair few players if we do get promoted, but this time we already have at least half a defence which is a huge difference to the last two times.

A major overhaul is most definitely not inevitable, and is in my opinion also very, very unlikely. I see few (if any) good arguments to the contrary, unless we pretend that we will lose all loanees, all the loans coming back will refuse to play for us, Mitro and Anguissa (and maybe a few more) will also refuse to play for us and neither of Cairney, Mawson and Kongolo will never kick a ball consistently again. Even then we have a lot of good (several great) Championship players under contract.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on May 17, 2021, 09:08:51 AM
Best I can come up with with what we will have left after the loans go back and the likes of Mitro and Anguissa are gone (quite likely)                   

Rodak

Tete Tosin Hector/Kongolo Bryan

Reed

Carvalho Cairney/Onomah ???

???

We are desperately short up front, need at least 1 new CF and a winger. Need a starter better then the likes of Cav and Knockaert.

For the Championship, a selection of a few from BDR, Cavaleiro, Knockaert, Kebano and Kamara is not a horrible place to start a season. Far from ideal, but decent enough. In my opinion.

Whitestone

Quote from: Sting of the North on May 17, 2021, 09:30:41 AM
Quote from: Whitestone on May 17, 2021, 09:04:08 AM

We don't need to have a squad good enough for the PL next year, but the year after (assuming we do get promoted). As compared to last time, we will then have Reed, Tosin and Tete who have already (in my opinion) proved that they can play in the PL. We may very well also have Mitro and/or Anguissa that are good enough. If Cairney stays injury free he is also good enough, the same goes for Kongolo. I believe Rodak is good enough. Then we have a lot of players that are good enough to fill out the squad even at PL level. Of course we have to recruit a fair few players if we do get promoted, but this time we already have at least half a defence which is a huge difference to the last two times.

A major overhaul is most definitely not inevitable, and is in my opinion also very, very unlikely. I see few (if any) good arguments to the contrary, unless we pretend that we will lose all loanees, all the loans coming back will refuse to play for us, Mitro and Anguissa (and maybe a few more) will also refuse to play for us and neither of Cairney, Mawson and Kongolo will never kick a ball consistently again. Even then  we have a lot of good (several great) Championship players under contract.

Agree, we don't need a squad good enough for the Premier League next year. That would be nice but unrealistic. We do however need a nucleus of players that can step up in the event of promotion. A core group that we can  supplement in the event of promotion. We didn't have that this time and we won't have it once all of the loanees depart. There will undoubtedly be an influx of players signed during the summer. We can argue over whether that amounts to a major overhaul or not. IMO it does. Just watch the doors at Motspur Park open and close over the coming months with all of the ins and outs.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sting of the North on May 17, 2021, 09:30:41 AM

We don't need to have a squad good enough for the PL next year, but the year after (assuming we do get promoted). As compared to last time, we will then have Reed, Tosin and Tete who have already (in my opinion) proved that they can play in the PL.

We may very well also have Mitro and/or Anguissa that are good enough. If Cairney stays injury free he is also good enough, the same goes for Kongolo. I believe Rodak is good enough. Then we have a lot of players that are good enough to fill out the squad even at PL level. Of course we have to recruit a fair few players if we do get promoted, but this time we already have at least half a defence which is a huge difference to the last two times.

A major overhaul is most definitely not inevitable, and is in my opinion also very, very unlikely. I see few (if any) good arguments to the contrary, unless we pretend that we will lose all loanees, all the loans coming back will refuse to play for us, Mitro and Anguissa (and maybe a few more) will also refuse to play for us and neither of Cairney, Mawson and Kongolo will never kick a ball consistently again.

Even then we have a lot of good (several great) Championship players under contract.

Brilliant Post. You are spot-on, we don't need to build a good enough squad for the premier league next season, because we need to get promoted with the best squad we can and then see if we can avoid yo-yoing again.

Staying Up in the Premier League is normally as simple as finishing above two promoted teams and hoping at least one of the established Premier League teams have a bad season.

Despite the fact that finishing ahead of other established premier league teams is not in our control (as they will have more money than us even with Khans investments), the last two times in the premier league our problem has been finishing ahead of the other two promoted teams, which we can plan and control for.

Full Season for the battles of the promoted teams
In 2018/19, we got 4 out of 12 points , an extra 8 points on the table.
In 2020/21, we got 4 out of 12 points for the battles of the promoted teams, an extra 8 points on the table.

First Half of the Season for the battles of the promoted teams
In 2018/19, we got 1 out of 6 points, an extra 5 points on the table, and we are 15th when W. transfers begin.
In 2020/21, we got 1 out of 6 points, an extra 5 points on the table, and we are 16th when W. transfers begin.
In addition, a decent championship team should have beaten Huddersfield and Sheffield United respectively.

Lesson, we just have to concern ourselves with finishing ahead of everyone in the championship next year and everyone promoted the year after, the rest will take care of itself as one establish premier league team nearly always fails.