watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season Summer Transfer Thread 2021/22

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 21, 2021, 03:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookie6262

As much as I would love to keep Anguissa if we could sell Frank, Seri for £20 million and maybe even Hector for £25 million and add Gromes, Wilson and Muniz we would and keep Robinson/Reed we would be pretty well set

millsy

I'm puzzled by all the concern that we might lose Frank. I'd cash in in a heartbeat. I've watched him closely and can't see that he produces anything worthwhile and appears to have no football brain. I can only assume people are smitten by his physique and his undoubted fancy skills and overlook his too many shortcomings. Just one man's opinion.sell!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: millsy on July 24, 2021, 12:38:39 AM
I'm puzzled by all the concern that we might lose Frank. I'd cash in in a heartbeat. I've watched him closely and can't see that he produces anything worthwhile and appears to have no football brain. I can only assume people are smitten by his physique and his undoubted fancy skills and overlook his too many shortcomings. Just one man's opinion.sell!

Your not the only one, I agree and he does not play within the framework of the team. I have never ever seen him communicate with colleagues as you would normally expect in a team environment.
I cannot envisage him being a bundle of laughs in the dressing room either and for me he flatters to decieve on the field of play also.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

One thing he has shown is the ability to "drive forward and attack defenses" he has shown that capability a few times.
If that can be changed into creating chances around him and his ability in defensive midfield then I say he's a "keeper".
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on July 24, 2021, 04:11:52 AM
One thing he has shown is the ability to "drive forward and attack defenses" he has shown that capability a few times.
If that can be changed into creating chances around him and his ability in defensive midfield then I say he's a "keeper".

First and foremost he does not play in goal so how can he be a keeper, and secondly he scored one goal last season, so his driving forward does not end up with very much success as there is no end product.
What was his price £30 million, His previous club Marseilles must have been laughing all the way to the bank.

Never forget your Roots.

JEEVES

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 24, 2021, 04:26:18 AM

First and foremost he does not play in goal so how can he be a keeper, and secondly he scored one goal last season, so his driving forward does not end up with very much success as there is no end product.
What was his price £30 million, His previous club Marseilles must have been laughing all the way to the bank.

Did he really score a goal? Must have missed that. I like him but it's difficult to ever see him scoring.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: JEEVES on July 24, 2021, 04:57:42 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 24, 2021, 04:26:18 AM

Did he really score a goal? Must have missed that. I like him but it's difficult to ever see him scoring.

Now you mention it I am not sure myself, perhaps I dreamt it.

Never forget your Roots.

MickyAdamsFamily

OK, so I know that a lot of people turn up their noses at all the advanced statistics and metrics that are now available, but some of them can be useful tools to help evaluate a player's strengths and weaknesses, and how their play can impact a game in ways that might not be obvious. There is a stat called "successful dribbles", which is when a player beats his marker and drives forward with the ball such that another player must then cover him. I believe that to qualify as successful, they must travel a minimum distance forward, which I think is 10 metres. Although it sounds like this should happen all the time with players all over the pitch, it is actually rather rare in real game situations in the Premier League.
In the 2020-21 Premier League season, Adama Traore led the league in successful dribbles. There were 2 players tied for 2nd; Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Andre St. Maximin. there was a sizeable gap separating those 2 from the following players, Sadio Mane, and then Marcus Rashford. Raheem Sterling was 9th in the league, and Jack Grealish was 10th.
The great value that a successful dribble contributes is that it can destroy the defensive shape of the opposition. When 2 or 3 players converge to defend a player dribbling the ball, that inevitably leaves attacking players unmarked. and although it doesnt always lead directly to goals, it definitely leads to goal scoring opportunities for other players. If a player is surrounded by others who can take advantage of those opportunities, the goals will come.
For those who think that Anguissa has occasional flashes of eye-catching talent, but no end product, I think they may be missing what a lot of professional football people can see; that he can consistently produce those high level performances in the Premier League and La Liga, and if surrounded by the right players, he can contribute greatly to a team's overall possibility of success. That's why they value him so highly in the transfer market.

sunburywhite

Years   Team   Apps   (Gls)
2015–2018   Marseille   79   (0)
2018–   Fulham   58   (0)
2019–2020   → Villarreal (loan)   36   (2)
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Jules

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 24, 2021, 03:42:56 AM
Quote from: millsy on July 24, 2021, 12:38:39 AM

Your not the only one, I agree and he does not play within the framework of the team. I have never ever seen him communicate with colleagues as you would normally expect in a team environment.
I cannot envisage him being a bundle of laughs in the dressing room either and for me he flatters to decieve on the field of play also.
I agree, sell him. He is the only one I think we can sell for really good money who I don't think we'd miss. Invest the proceeds back into those coming in - Grimes, Wilson and the Brazilian striker on a loan fee.

Nero

Quote from: MickeyAdamsFamily on July 24, 2021, 06:23:01 AM
OK, so I know that a lot of people turn up their noses at all the advanced statistics and metrics that are now available, but some of them can be useful tools to help evaluate a player's strengths and weaknesses, and how their play can impact a game in ways that might not be obvious. There is a stat called "successful dribbles", which is when a player beats his marker and drives forward with the ball such that another player must then cover him. I believe that to qualify as successful, they must travel a minimum distance forward, which I think is 10 metres. Although it sounds like this should happen all the time with players all over the pitch, it is actually rather rare in real game situations in the Premier League.
In the 2020-21 Premier League season, Adama Traore led the league in successful dribbles. There were 2 players tied for 2nd; Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Andre St. Maximin. there was a sizeable gap separating those 2 from the following players, Sadio Mane, and then Marcus Rashford. Raheem Sterling was 9th in the league, and Jack Grealish was 10th.
The great value that a successful dribble contributes is that it can destroy the defensive shape of the opposition. When 2 or 3 players converge to defend a player dribbling the ball, that inevitably leaves attacking players unmarked. and although it doesnt always lead directly to goals, it definitely leads to goal scoring opportunities for other players. If a player is surrounded by others who can take advantage of those opportunities, the goals will come.
For those who think that Anguissa has occasional flashes of eye-catching talent, but no end product, I think they may be missing what a lot of professional football people can see; that he can consistently produce those high level performances in the Premier League and La Liga, and if surrounded by the right players, he can contribute greatly to a team's overall possibility of success. That's why they value him so highly in the transfer market.

But rarely scores or assists throughout his career. Think re runs into a lot of dead ends

Whitestone

Good post. Anguissa has always played in the top leagues. He would be one of the stand out players in the Championship and a player we should be looking to keep if the club are serious about promotion.

colinwhite

Quote from: Whitestone on July 24, 2021, 08:40:27 AM

Good post. Anguissa has always played in the top leagues. He would be one of the stand out players in the Championship and a player we should be looking to keep if the club are serious about promotion.

A lot of good points in both these posts.   Two players ,one is outstanding at lower level and can stamp his will on everything ,whilst the other player at the same level plays well but doesnt really stick out. They both go up a level and the first player is out of his depth whilst the second player continues to play his game and performs at a high level . He (the second player who is unspectacular) is the one who has the highest level in his play.
When it comes to Frank ,I think he does flatter to decieve and has too few  goals or assists. Not sure he will rip up the championship as many think but he definitely has the potential. I think a year at a lower level (in the championship ) could be what he needs to open up the flood gates of his potential.

Tooting legend

Thought this was a transfer thread not a discussion thread. Can we just keep it to transfer rumours otherwise it gets really boring.

millsy

If you playback any of his games for us and follow him not the ball and I think you'll see that he repeatedly loses his man, is weak in the tackle, careless with his passing further than 3 yards and can't shoot.

I do agree he has the ability to run with the ball and can create space for others but at least at PL level, his shortcomings are too much to carry. Will he get away with it in the Championship? Maybe but quite a gamble.

FulhamStu

StefJo is an 8, him being off to QPR makes Frank more likely to be staying.
Silva is an attacking manager and should hopefully get Frank to be more productive, he has the talent.

Woolly Mammoth

I disagree, Zambo does not punch his weight at all, disappears under a blade of grass as soon as the going gets tough. No character I would not want to be stuck with him in a bomb crater 20 miles behind enemy lines he would throw the towel in.
He showed flashes but overal an expensive flop due to relying on stats.

Never forget your Roots.

JEEVES

I also really can't see him staying personally. We were all going on about him being a beast in the championship last time we went down and then he was loaned out to villareal

Statto

Quote from: Tooting legend on July 24, 2021, 09:13:00 AM
Thought this was a transfer thread not a discussion thread. Can we just keep it to transfer rumours otherwise it gets really boring.

Whereas this sort of post isn't boring at all...