News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is it better for England to lose tonight?

Started by res, June 22, 2021, 04:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

res

As far as I can work it out, the winner of Group D will play the second team in Group F (either France/ Germany/ Portugal) ; the second team in Group D will play the second team in Group E (Sweden/Slovakia/Spain) which looks easier.

So will England and Czech spend tonight trying to score own goals in an effort to be second in Group D rather than the winner?

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

It doesn't matter where we finish, the better nations will batter us.
How we were 3rd favourites, with Southgate in charge, is anyone's guess.
Hasn't ever done anything good in management, yet gets the biggest job in the country. Pathetic.

perry geyton

I agree the minute we come up against better opposition we will lose

We will struggle against Czech tonight either ways

Personally I'm rooting for the Jocks instead

MartyFFC

Whether we finish first or second, I can't see us getting any further than the quarters......

Jules

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on June 22, 2021, 04:57:48 PM
It doesn't matter where we finish, the better nations will batter us.
How we were 3rd favourites, with Southgate in charge, is anyone's guess.
Hasn't ever done anything good in management, yet gets the biggest job in the country. Pathetic.
+1 it doesn't matter, unfortunately I cannot see england beating many of the teams left and we will go out in the next round or two anyway

Blawarmy

Our new manager (allegedly) won the  U17s World Cup with England.  Maybe Steve Wigley had some influence re his appointment.

Plodder

Although we may have benefitted from getting to the "easier" half of the draw in the World Cup in 2018, the same can't be said of Euro 2016, when people thought drawing against Slovakia in the final game and thereby finishing second in the group had given us the "easiest" tie in the last 16 against Iceland - and that didn't work out well  Besides, even if we were to get an "easier" last 16 draw by coming second in the group this time, that could set us up for a quarter-final against France.  Best thing is to try to win every game, see where it takes us and enjoy the ride.

rebel

I'm watching Scotland v Croatia, hopefully 'fire and fury'. Would be good to see home nations all qualify for the last 16.

Twig

Clearly we want a win and preferably a more convincing one at that.

RoyTund

It's a bit weird to me that when this has come up it doesn't seem anyone has bothered to look at that side of the draw after the round of 16? Already got Belgium and Italy and likely France ( who would then probably be our QF opponents). So whilst you could argue our round of 16 would be an easier game if we finished second, it's the much much harder side after that.

filham

Tonight's result is of no importance, Southgate has to use the match to get the team playing better and capable of scoring goals. In particular an alternative has to be tried for the tired out of form Harry Kane.

SP

Even though Grealish is playing for my team, I'm still thoroughly enjoying watching the Czech's kick lumps out of him.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Quote from: filham on June 22, 2021, 07:19:46 PM
Tonight's result is of no importance, Southgate has to use the match to get the team playing better and capable of scoring goals. In particular an alternative has to be tried for the tired out of form Harry Kane.

If spurs get £100 million plus for him, Levy has to be seen as the greatest robber of all time.

ex-Pat

Quote from: rebel on June 22, 2021, 07:11:28 PM
I'm watching Scotland v Croatia, hopefully 'fire and fury'. Would be good to see home nations all qualify for the last 16.9

Not interested in this mob going anywhere ,,can't stand the miserable drunks.....

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Quote from: ex-Pat on June 22, 2021, 08:51:56 PM
I'm watching Scotland v Croatia, hopefully 'fire and fury'. Would be good to see home nations all qualify for the last 16.9

Not interested in this mob going anywhere ,,can't stand the miserable drunks.....

Croatians are miserable...

SP

Must say I enjoyed listening to Craig Brown's Scotland prediction of going all the way.  Finishing bottom of the group more likely.

Wingnut

Quote from: filham on June 22, 2021, 07:19:46 PM
Tonight's result is of no importance, Southgate has to use the match to get the team playing better and capable of scoring goals.

Hasn't achieved that. Decent performance but nothing convincing about it. First half was better than the second.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Dodgin

Saka the highlight of the game, second half awful

SP

Quote from: Dodgin on June 22, 2021, 09:54:33 PM
Saka the highlight of the game, second half awful

A lot of these games are so tedious, time to reduce the number of players on the pitch or increase the size of the goals I reckon.

blingo

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on June 22, 2021, 09:00:41 PM
Quote from: ex-Pat on June 22, 2021, 08:51:56 PM

Croatians are miserable...

So would you be if you had to live there