News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A question for older supporters re Parker?

Started by Steven Ageroad, June 29, 2021, 08:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

I hope not . It. really doesnt matter now anyway as he has gone and we all move on and support the new guy .
Parker was a couple of frorwards away fro keeping us up in my opinion, and some of the criticism of him is unwarranted. But i must say although I always backed him as our manager ,he never seemed to fit our club as player ,person or manager. Not sure why ,but lots of our of fanbase never liked him ,maybe they felt the same that he never felt like being a Fulham man.

colinwhite

Quote from: colinwhite on June 30, 2021, 07:18:07 AM
I hope not . It. really doesnt matter now anyway as he has gone and we all move on and support the new guy .
Parker was a couple of forwards away fro keeping us up in my opinion, and some of the criticism of him is unwarranted. But i must say although I always backed him as our manager ,he never seemed to fit our club as player ,person or manager. Not sure why ,but lots of our of fanbase never liked him ,maybe they felt the same that it never felt like he was a Fulham man.

bog

hovewhite

Steeeeeeeeeed

Yes I can see Parker going on to big things.

Very few managers achieve anything much at their first jobs, (even Alex Ferguson, Brian Clough, etc) but then use what they have learnt in their subsequent jobs.

I think Scott will go on to be probably one of the top rated English managers (so probably a mid table Premier League manager like a Moyes) over the next 20 years...which obviously gives him a shout of the England job down the line too.

So we may have just lost the future World Cup Winning manager

FulhamStu

If he did really well he would leave if he he messed it up he would leave.  I never understood why we hired a trainee manager and still don't.

SG

Quote from: BestOfBrede on June 29, 2021, 09:43:55 PM
Quote from: Dodgin on June 29, 2021, 09:39:43 PM
I would like Jokanovicball
:plus one:
Or Tiganaball any day!

Absolutely right. I am bored rigid with Parkerball and similar versions of his football. I go to be entertained, excited and hoping my team win. Not to sit in my seat and grind out 0-0 draws and spend most of the time chatting to the family in the middle of a match because nothing much is happening on the pitch. Pleased to see the back of him.

MartyFFC

Southgate has a very good squad, and could be succeeding without sending us all into a coma. Very fine margins last night, could easily have lost the game in which case Southgate gets absolutely hammered by the press for his negativity. However, if we win the thing then I don't think too many people will be bothered about us stinking games out 1-0......

LittleErn

He might well be successful if he learns from his mistakes and has better players, but he'll never be a Robson because he doesn't have Robson's verbal ability, or enthusiasm. He has a dour attitude and approach which doesn't lift the fans or the players. He dwells on negatives rather than bigging up the positives, which does nothing for confidence.

filham

Yes, Spurs already have an eye on him and as long as he keeps up to date with pullover fashion he will continue to be a TV favourite.
Looking back if he had a couple of quality strikers last season we would still be in the premier league.

Jem

Sorry, not in the same league as Bobby Robson.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

sussexwhite

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on June 29, 2021, 08:46:31 PM
Parker has now left and now that most top teams are playing Parker Ball, including England, do you think that this might be a Bobby Robson moment and that he may go on to greater things?

No.

rebel

The big thing is that we had a 'purple patch' where we clawed our way back from a points deficit, we had three opportunities to overtake Newcastle, but for whatever reason he returned to 'Parkerball' and made bad management decisions. So no. Parkerball is pedestrian, so slow. 

Bill2

The problem with Parkerball is that he never got their field to turn and run at the opposition.like Grealish, we would give it to Frank or someone else and they would just return it back. By the time it got forward they had 10 players to try and pass through.

Nero

Quote from: rebel on June 30, 2021, 07:15:21 PM
The big thing is that we had a 'purple patch' where we clawed our way back from a points deficit, we had three opportunities to overtake Newcastle, but for whatever reason he returned to 'Parkerball' and made bad management decisions. So no. Parkerball is pedestrian, so slow. 

Same in the championship got within striking distance of WBA & Leeds and he choked, don't think he can handle the pressure that well, plus he doesn't know how to use attacking players. all possession with no purpose, think he will be in trouble at Bournemouth very quickly let a lot of the experienced coaches go and some of their top players want to go after not getting promoted

Wingnut

Quote from: F(f)CUK on June 29, 2021, 09:44:26 PM
I am fairly certain that he will be a good manager for someone.

Yep, I think he'll turn into a solid mid-table PL manager. Don't see him turning into the next Bobby Robson though. Bobby was a top class manager.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

filham

Quote from: Jem on June 30, 2021, 07:05:50 PM
Sorry, not in the same league as Bobby Robson.
Agree but then not many are.

ALG01

Disregarding some of the blinkered nastier comments.
My opinion is as follows.

I think parker was too cautious in his approach but through the promotion season and through most of last season he showed he could organise a team to defend exceptionally well and the performances proved that. in the promotion year we were able to defend a slender lead over and over and last time out we held the line brilliantly and stopped any team really over running us.

where he failed was to have the imagination to get us enough attacking options and seemed wedded to Cav and RLC who most of us (I think) thought were a bit useless.

In the end he played a pragmatic hand and hoped it might be enough. In reality he was doomed from day one.

There are no certainties but I think at the right club with a proper management he will do very well. whether he emulates robson heights, that is a big ask. but will he be the one that got away? I suspect so. If he was at brentford he would sparkle, if we had the brentford manager the german would fail miserably because of reasons that have previously been stated about our management.

RaySmith

Quote from: colinwhite on June 30, 2021, 07:18:07 AM
Parker was a couple of frorwards away fro keeping us up in my opinion, and some of the criticism of him is unwarranted. But i must say although I always backed him as our manager ,he never seemed to fit our club as player ,person or manager. Not sure why ,but lots of our of fanbase never liked him ,maybe they felt the same that he never felt like being a Fulham man.

Not sure what the common  characteristics of Fulham managers are - Roy, Stock, Coleman, Jezzard, Robson, Tigana, Jol, Symons, Jokanovich, Macdonald, Hughes.
Who of them  did you think were the 'right fit' for Fulham?

But a few on here have criticised Parker's  south-east London accent and poor grammar - a bit 'common' for Fulham?
Though personally I liked admired his seeming honesty and sincerity, though I'm sure people would say this was an act.

In life few are all good, or all bad, and this is probably true of football managers.

Being manager of Fulham is probably pretty tough compared with managing a top Prem side, especially with the current challenges.