News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A question for older supporters re Parker?

Started by Steven Ageroad, June 29, 2021, 08:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Ageroad

Parker has now left and now that most top teams are playing Parker Ball, including England, do you think that this might be a Bobby Robson moment and that he may go on to greater things?

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on June 29, 2021, 08:46:31 PM
Parker has now left and now that most top teams are playing Parker Ball, including England, do you think that this might be a Bobby Robson moment and that he may go on to greater things?

No

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

blingo

I can't see it, but as Mr Woolly says, you never know.

perry geyton

Southdowns White

I doubt it, he may have limited success but unless he is managing a team who are able to afford the best players he will not. It won't be long before some intelligent manager or coach comes up with a superior system to Parkerball and  then that manager will end up at a top club therefore repeating the whole process. I doubt Parker is the man to devise a system so good that a top club would seriously want him to manage their club.  I could be wrong though, and that is the beauty  of football.

BestOfBrede

Yes
Unfortunately it is modern football and I believe Parker will come good (in this 'modern' style).

England pass sideways and back more than we did!
But, it is not entertaining - gone are the days where a player had confidence and managerial backing to attack opposition players?
Players are now too scared to lose the ball and so no more Les Barrett's, Jimmy Conway's etc players for us!!

England are happy with 1 or 2 goals and boring the pants off fans, but so are most teams these days!
Such was the so called 'Parker ball'.

One of the reasons, along with officials/VAR, I now prefer Cricket over football any day!

SuffolkWhite

Time will tell, I was on the fence re SP but the run in and not playing the Strikers in must win games made me none plused whether he stayed or not.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Dodgin

BestOfBrede

F(f)CUK

I am fairly certain that he will be a good manager for someone.

Andy S

Football has evolved since day one Alf Ramsey 1966 played 4.3.3 for the first time before that everyone played 2.3.5 it is unlikely that Mr Parker will be overly successful with his style as you need exceptionally good players to make it work. Once you fall behind human nature means you have to revert to something a bit more attacking. Parker was probably a little unlucky to get relegated last season but he needed time to perfect it. Nobody minds a 1-0 win but not every week

Woodlawn

Should not be mentioned in the same breath as Sir Bobby,The hardest working manager I ever experienced at Fulham. Not given the time to succeed but proved himself elsewhere.

Lambo

Gezza

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on June 29, 2021, 08:46:31 PM

Yes I think he will. Sad to see him go.

Mickeyboro

Absolutely not. He is a Bracewell... who never amounted to anything.

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

Most teams play Parker ball and it is a tad tedious. But I am sure given the right players Parker will be successful. After all two promotions means he has something. What suddenly changed this year many have come to educated conclusions and some have guessed. But I wish him the best he has been a fine player and fine manager. Time for a change and he may well be successful.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bobby01

My interpretation of parkerball was not the keeping of possession but the inability to go forward with players running onto the ball not standing still to receive. Parkerball to me was keeping the ball at all costs with no end product.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.