watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How did MH organise his Blackburn side?

Started by Whiteroom, December 20, 2010, 12:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiteroom

I am struggling to remember how Hughes got his successful Blackburn side to play? I have got a feeling that it is not the smooth, along the ground, football that we have been getting used to over the past few seasons. Would we be happy to play like his old Blackburn?

epsomraver

MH " you clunk the no 9, You crock the goalie, and you two sandwich the little skilful winger"  :003:

ImperialWhite

We shall not, we shall not be moved*;
We shall not, we shall not be moved*;
We shall not be moved*.

*From the bottom of the disciplinary table, every single season Mark Hughes was in charge.

MJG

I posted yesterday that some people seem to have this revisionist view of Blackburn and how they played great football. I don't recall one person saying it was great playing them and I wish Hughes was manager. 4 seasons on the trot bottom of the fair play lge...badluck, bad reffs...i don't think so.

Whiteroom

Is this not a new angle on the whole Hughes debate? I know its not exactly a revelation, but thats not very Fulham.

Scrumpy

I don't remember them being particularly 'long ball', but they were certainly physical and relied on a couple of centre forwards who could bully their opposite numbers.

What I do remember is them whooping us about 4-1 on our own turf, (2 years running, although my memory may be playing ticks) and thinking how great it would be to see Fulham do that away from home occasionally. And I remember being pretty impressed that a team like Blackburn could qualify for europe 2 years on the trot.

I just don't believe that  Mark Hughes has suddenly lost all of this managerial talent that he obviously had.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

RidgeRider

One thing I remember from the era was watching Pedersen body slam our right back at the time, the player we got on loan from the Spuds, in the box on a set piece that I believe led to a goal. At the time I just thought the player or players were a dirty bunch but I never laid that on the back of Hughes and I guess I still haven't but bottom for 4 years is pretty telling. That is hardly the kind of football I associate with this club but I assume it was due to the funds made available and thus the find of player who could bring in.

HatterDon

Conversely, City are much more defensive and physical under Scarfy than they were under Sparky, so ... .
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ImperialWhite

Quote from: HatterDon on December 20, 2010, 06:35:38 PM
Conversely, City are much more defensive and physical under Scarfy than they were under Sparky, so ... . 

Think I quite like Scarfy. And I get the impression that being firmly in the top four spots has won over the City fans who might have had misgivings about the manner of Hughes' departure.

Probably not very fashionable to say so, but I'd rather City were in the Champions League than Spurs.

And I know we aided them to a large-ish degree, but weren't they spectacular to watch against us? I thought so, at least in the brief moments I forget I was in the Johnny Haynes watching the Whites get thrashed and focused instead on the football. David Silva is a fine player.

I even enjoyed City v Chelsea, in a weird way (the fact they were inflicting first defeat on Chelsea and I had some money on it probably helped, mind).

HatterDon

Quote from: ImperialWhite on December 20, 2010, 06:45:21 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on December 20, 2010, 06:35:38 PM

Think I quite like Scarfy. And I get the impression that being firmly in the top four spots has won over the City fans who might have had misgivings about the manner of Hughes' departure.

Probably not very fashionable to say so, but I'd rather City were in the Champions League than Spurs.  
And I know we aided them to a large-ish degree, but weren't they spectacular to watch against us? I thought so, at least in the brief moments I forget I was in the Johnny Haynes watching the Whites get thrashed and focused instead on the football. David Silva is a fine player.

I even enjoyed City v Chelsea, in a weird way (the fact they were inflicting first defeat on Chelsea and I had some money on it probably helped, mind).

I'd rather have WOLVES in the Champions League rather than Spurs.  :014:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel