more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - New Car Ideas

Started by WestSussexWhite, July 17, 2021, 06:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WestSussexWhite

Hi All,

Just want to pick your brains really. I currently have a Hyundai i20 and it's due for trade in very soon. I have got a quote from Hyundai for a new car buts more than I want to pay. We only use this car for short commutes to work and picking the baby up from nirsery. Don't really want anything bigger than an i20. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,

WSW

Southcoastffc

If only a small runabout, look at a new Kia Picanto. 7 years or 100,000 mile warranty, Kia Washington on the A24 (aka Birchwood motors) offer multi year fixed service plans which are financially attractive.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: Southcoastffc on July 17, 2021, 07:32:36 PM
If only a small runabout, look at a new Kia Picanto. 7 years or 100,000 mile warranty, Kia Washington on the A24 (aka Birchwood motors) offer multi year fixed service plans which are financially attractive.

Thank you, I will look into that

Southcoastffc

Forgot to say that they may be offering a 'scrappage' scheme which basically is shorthand for very attractive trade ins. We did that 8 years ago and got my wife a then new Picanto. Very successful,  only a couple of very minor issues resolved without fuss under warranty (a seat cover faded - my wife is VERY particular- and a windscreen washer became blocked)
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

junior white

Just today ordered a discovery sport, can highly recommend those

HV71

Fiat panda 4x4 -very cheap to run ,cheap insurance , incredibly reliable in all weathers,  got 46000 miles out of my first set of tyres. The car we always choose for everyday trips - we are lucky to have 3  - the Panda , a T8 Hybrid Volvo XC90 m and a Porsche 911 Carerra 4 cabriolet . The Fiat wins every time.

H4usuallysitting

Dacia Sandero....does what it says on the tin & they've just launched a facelift model, so the previous model will be attractively priced...... unless you're looking to go for an electric car

H4usuallysitting

I'm hearing through the Taxi grapevine, that the mayor is looking to offer a £2k scrappage scheme....

Andy S

I think these scrapage schemes are wrong and do nothing to help the planet. It is all about selling new cars. The bodies on cars no longer rust as they did twenty years ago. I cannot imagine taking a car to the garage to un block the screen washer!!. And really what is wrong with keeping a car until it is beyond economic repair. This is what we should be doing to save the planet not installing thousands of battery charging units and creating a problem of what happens when you only get 200 miles instead of 300 as is inevitable in the good old British climate

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Andy S on July 18, 2021, 10:40:36 AM
I think these scrapage schemes are wrong and do nothing to help the planet. It is all about selling new cars. The bodies on cars no longer rust as they did twenty years ago. I cannot imagine taking a car to the garage to un block the screen washer!!. And really what is wrong with keeping a car until it is beyond economic repair. This is what we should be doing to save the planet not installing thousands of battery charging units and creating a problem of what happens when you only get 200 miles instead of 300 as is inevitable in the good old British climate
If you tried that on a 2013 plate Picanto, you'd know why!  :005:(and under warranty)

Bill2

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on July 18, 2021, 12:44:39 AM
I'm hearing through the Taxi grapevine, that the mayor is looking to offer a £2k scrappage scheme....
Not sure that it applies to trade in vehicles but more for those driving old vehicle who live in the new ULEZ area, but don't hold your breath as what sounds generous has a few restrictions and people may not be eligible.

Bill2

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on July 17, 2021, 06:49:27 PM
Hi All,

Just want to pick your brains really. I currently have a Hyundai i20 and it's due for trade in very soon. I have got a quote from Hyundai for a new car buts more than I want to pay. We only use this car for short commutes to work and picking the baby up from nirsery. Don't really want anything bigger than an i20. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,

WSW
If money no object go for the smallest electric car you can get especially as you are only doing short journeys.

H4usuallysitting

If your screen washer is blocked - definitely throw the car away

Enfield

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on July 18, 2021, 01:29:02 PM

If your screen washer is blocked - definitely throw the car away
[
Exactly, also get rid if the ashtrays are full

filham

So many good cars available these das from all around the world, you are spoilt for choice.
That little Fiat 500 that has been around for a while is attractive and always worth considering.

west kowloon white

Hydrogen fuelled or an Aston Martin.

grandad

I have just bought a new Toyota C-HR self charging Hybrid. What a stunning, fantastic car. List price on the road was €31,500 but got it for €25,500.
Where there's a will there's a wife

west kowloon white

With Andy S on this-far from convinced that electric is the long term future.

grandad

Quote from: west kowloon white on July 19, 2021, 11:11:50 AM
With Andy S on this-far from convinced that electric is the long term future.

Maybe the very long term solution but at present battery technology is not advanced enough. The miles per charge has to be near that of a full tank of fuel for it to be viable for all types of driving. My house is not able to have a charging point in a convenient place & I don´t want to sit in a supermarket charging point for ages. Then there is the cost factor which is not any real saving. This is why I have gone for a dual Hybrid self charging option.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Lordedmundo

I own a SEAT Ibiza (2017-2021 model). Very roomy inside and practical for a small car. You can probably get some good deals at the moment, as the facelifted model (which is almost the same!) is out soon. Buying new - about £16-20K, used with low mileage £13-16K. Only a 1.0 litre engine, so very economical and ULEZ compliant. The performance is great for a small car - provided you get the 110/115bhp variant.