watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Winter Solstice.

Started by ron, December 21, 2010, 09:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron

I always feel the need to mark the occasion of this shortest day of the year by celebrating the real values of life. At a time when we are furthest from the warmth of the sun, we are nearest the warmth of those who are dearest to us as we gather for Christmas.

I hope and wish for all of us and our families, as brothers and sisters of the wider Fulham family, a healthy, peaceful and prosperous 2011.

VicHalomsLovechild

Nothing in the Bank and a parking ticket, now I know why. Ron, thank you for your wishes. I hope you get back an equal amount of warmth and good luck.

mrska

Thanks Ron..  i always find this day as abit of a turning point...  the Solatice... Christmas..  New Year...  all moving in the right direction.  The Grand National usually marks the start of summer for me...  But im a strange bugger..

White Noise

Very nice sentiments Ron. Hope you and yours are enjoying the warmth.

sipwell

Uhm... my book says the shortest day is the 22nd :)

Nonetheless, spectacular message! I use a mirror to reflect your warmth back ;-)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

RidgeRider

Agreed. Thanks Ron.

One of my favorite Christmas quotes:

I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys.

-- Charles Dickens

Jimpav

Thanks Ron. I don't read much into the winter solstice but I do sympathise with anyone suffering from SAD. Its a harsh time of year and we are in a dark patch with regards to the club.

Things can only get brighter both on and off the pitch.

Cheers,

Jim

duffbeer

Quote from: ron on December 21, 2010, 09:10:15 PM
I always feel the need to mark the occasion of this shortest day of the year by celebrating the real values of life. At a time when we are furthest from the warmth of the sun, we are nearest the warmth of those who are dearest to us as we gather for Christmas.

I hope and wish for all of us and our families, as brothers and sisters of the wider Fulham family, a healthy, peaceful and prosperous 2011.

And a healthy, peaceful and prosperous 2011 to you and yours too, and to all of the Fulham faithful.  Thanks for the thoughtful post. 

Also, for the sake of a wiser 2011, may I remind everyone that in the dead of winter in the Northern hemisphere we actually are closer to the sun than at any other time.  Roughly 5 million km closer than we are in July.  My 10 year old reminded me of this the other day, begs the question are you smarter than a fifth grader.

Here's a New Year's sentiment for you all courtesy of one of my favorite songs for the holiday season"

May I get what I want, not what I deserve;
May the coming year not throw a single curve.
May I hurt nobody, may I tell no lies.
If I can't go on, give me strength to try.

Chorus:
Ring the old year out, ring the new year in!
Bring us all good luck, let the good guys win.

May the one you love be the one you get;
May you go some place you haven't been to yet.
May your friends surround you, never do you wrong;
May your eyes be clear and may your heart be strong.

Chorus:

May the times to come be the best you've had.
May peace rule the world - let it make us glad.
When you see something wrong, try and make it right.
Pull the shadow-world into the bright sunlight.

Chorus: