News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How long do you have to support fulham before you can be considered a "Real" fan

Started by KingofCheese, August 02, 2021, 01:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

Quote from: ianthailand on August 02, 2021, 03:47:53 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on August 02, 2021, 02:57:42 PM
A real fan?
One that stays with the team when the going gets tough and stays tough.
Spends too much time thinking about the club and pointless things such as whether a goal was offside in a meaningless mid table end of season 0 0 draw.
A real fan stretches the patience of there family when the holiday/day out etc is re-arranged to accomodate a cup replay

A real fan speaks up when things are wrong and doesn't let the WUMs stop them.

a real fan knows we should be in the prem, it our rightful place and not say I prefer the championship just because we might be a bit more competitive, real fans aim for the sky and not accpept as a matter of course the poor management we have had these last few years.

Real fands think ian brnfoot dealt rory hammil a very bad hand and messed up a promising career.
real fans think kenny achampong was one of the greatest wastes of talent we ever had. natural ability but no sustained application.

Real fans write pointless messages like tis one.
Thinking about wasted talent, does anyone remember Michael Mison? We put him in a struggling team at too young an age and destroyed him. He had everything, built like Yaya Toure and as athletic, such a shame.

I think you are right. But in the end you can have all the talent you want but without the proper application it will not happen. I remeber alec stock saying that bobby Moore, evemn at the end of his career would stay after to training to prefect any new little technique/skill they had been practising.. that is how you get to the top.

SuffolkWhite

There is no time limit.....I spoke with a feller a few seasons back at a game and he had a season ticket but then also confessed he was an Arsenal season ticket holder and that was his team but he enjoyed watching football at the Cottage.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Ludlow Richard

Personally I think the debate about a true fan is a bit daft. I've been following FFC since 1989 and have had a season ticket for 20. I didn't go to Carlisle, or Ashford, bizarrely I was unable to get to the home game v Juventus though I made it to Hamburg for the final. Although I have seen FFC at over 70 away grounds, for over 10 years I haven't done much by way of away games. I know there are supporters who go to pretty much every game, home and away, and I tip my hat to them. But I am afraid you cannot say the only "true fans" are those who attend all the games, home and away. There will be those who have followed the club for years and now, for whatever reason, do not get to games but who still have a special place for FFC in their hearts. Some day I (as will most of the people who post on this forum) will be one of those people that health and decrepitude prevents me from getting to games. I don't see these as any less "true" than those who attended the Autoglass Trophy preliminary round second leg at Torquay on a wet Tuesday in February.

And at the other end of the spectrum there are those just starting out on their love affair with FFC. Why should they not be seen as "true fans"? It's a curious debate which only ends up dividing us.

filham

Quote from: Fernhurst on August 02, 2021, 01:55:48 PM
Well I'm on 70 years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that'll do
I am on a similar time but have considered myself a fan since day one.

bobbo

I'm on 63 years and I totally agree with OP if you're stung by it first game then that's it .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

71 years and although for nine of those years I played on Saturdays I was thinking about Fulham the whole time.
Brought up in Fulham in a mostly Chelsea supporting family our team have been in my blood from the first moment.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: cmg on August 02, 2021, 02:08:45 PM
No time factor.

I'd say you were a real fan if the idea of supporting someone else would seem impossible.

I could say I was no longer a Fulham fan, I could say I supported someone else, I could even buy a Crystal Palace season ticket (if I could afford it) but I would still, in reality, remain a Fulham fan.

This is the correct answer, perfectly capturing the essence of what it means to be a fan. It's like being a hostage at times with Fulham, mind!

Deeping_white

I think once you make a conscious decision to support the club and it becomes ingrained in you to the point where a result will affect your mood for the next 24 hours or so, that's when you're really hooked. Doesn't matter if it takes 1 game or 100, football seems to be that sport where you make your bed and lie in it when it comes to supporting a team irrespective of good or bad things happening to them, something the plastics will never understand

Stevieboy

Postponed my marriage for the 1975 Cup Final, and my love for  Fulham has lasted longer than my marriage !!

blingo

When you would never wear another teams shirt, national team excluded.

colinwhite

Fulham are my team ,its not a matter of choice. Once you support a team,theres no going back and if you do your not a` true fan` , because for the `true fan` thats not an option.

HV71

Luka

Quote from: Ludlow Richard on August 02, 2021, 05:04:29 PM
Personally I think the debate about a true fan is a bit daft. I've been following FFC since 1989 and have had a season ticket for 20. I didn't go to Carlisle, or Ashford, bizarrely I was unable to get to the home game v Juventus though I made it to Hamburg for the final. Although I have seen FFC at over 70 away grounds, for over 10 years I haven't done much by way of away games. I know there are supporters who go to pretty much every game, home and away, and I tip my hat to them. But I am afraid you cannot say the only "true fans" are those who attend all the games, home and away. There will be those who have followed the club for years and now, for whatever reason, do not get to games but who still have a special place for FFC in their hearts. Some day I (as will most of the people who post on this forum) will be one of those people that health and decrepitude prevents me from getting to games. I don't see these as any less "true" than those who attended the Autoglass Trophy preliminary round second leg at Torquay on a wet Tuesday in February.

And at the other end of the spectrum there are those just starting out on their love affair with FFC. Why should they not be seen as "true fans"? It's a curious debate which only ends up dividing us.

I agree with this.
Its not time sensitive, its not about where you were on what day and its not that you go watch them play every week home and away.
That just turns it into a pissing contest that some could never win.

Peabody

F(f)CUK

Attending the club's lowest attended league match against Rotherham must be up there. I also attended the lowest ever home gate, which was a Freight Rover Equivalent game from the same period. Cannot remember the game or the gate, but have a recollection that it was at least half the gate of the Rotherham game. In my head I have the gate at under a 1000 but I could be barking.

Been going to games since I was 7 in 1974. Family-based insanity that started with my grandfather who lived in Fulham and saw his first game in 1915.