watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Sky Brown (Olympics)

Started by Stoneleigh Loyalist, August 04, 2021, 09:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Britain's youngest competitor and Olympic Bronze medalist. I cheered her until I read that she has a Japanese mother and a British father and was raised in Japan. She spends most of her time in America and I wonder when she has been to this country. This really disappointed me.

FFCFOREVER

I concur. I mean I suppose it's good she's representing team GB but even though she's doing so, it seems really watered down due to the reasons you have said. But she is a talent nonetheless and well done to her.

H4usuallysitting

The girl that got silver was 12 years old.... absolutely brilliant

Lighthouse

Last year she was in hospital with fractured skull and lung injuries and a broken hand and wrist.

Personally many of the sports in the Olympics are not sports that I would ever follow or consider sports. But you have to admire the bravery of the kids. Many of the places people represent are not where they are living. So I really don't see what difference it makes..

An accident of birth is supposed to tie you that Country forever? Why?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Somerset Fulham

It's within the rules, so whats the problem?

What a brilliant young lady she is, I don't really care where she is supposed to be from.

Holders

She's representing the UK even though she could have represented Japan through her mother. That's fine by me. I don't know why she trains in America, perhaps it's for the facilities or coaches or perhaps her parents work there. She's got a bit of a yank accent but can't help that if she's spent time there. She's one hell of a talented and brave kid. Well done to her.

Rather her than that unsportsmanlike boxer who only has himself to blame for not doing better.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

She wins bronze for GB and yet people question her loyalties?

Blimey.

If she was Japanese or American, then she wouldn't have win it for us.
You do know Sor Mo Farah wasn't born here either and does most of his training abroad...

MaximusDecimus

They interviewed her and her father and it made me cringe. They most certainly  did not sound British . they sounded like they were from New York and her mothers Japanese. Skateboarding received massive funding here so she moved here.Same with Johanna Konta born - cant remember but not here . Funding became massive in Australia so she switched and then it stopped and Britain started massive funding so back to being British. Moh Farah is about as British as Osama bin laden and like lewis Hamilton is a tax dodger but credit where it is due - At least he sounds British. In the euros a player who had played for France played for Spain ? It is all a complete joke ( Greg Rusedski , Zola Budd , Rory Sabatinni ? If i moved to Somalia tomorrow and identified as Somalian I would be lynched.

Lighthouse

Quote from: MaximusDecimus on August 05, 2021, 10:15:58 AM
They interviewed her and her father and it made me cringe. They most certainly  did not sound British . they sounded like they were from New York and her mothers Japanese. Skateboarding received massive funding here so she moved here.Same with Johanna Konta born - cant remember but not here . Funding became massive in Australia so she switched and then it stopped and Britain started massive funding so back to being British. Moh Farah is about as British as Osama bin laden and like lewis Hamilton is a tax dodger but credit where it is due - At least he sounds British. In the euros a player who had played for France played for Spain ? It is all a complete joke ( Greg Rusedski , Zola Budd , Rory Sabatinni ? If i moved to Somalia tomorrow and identified as Somalian I would be lynched.

Although most of the names you mention all manage to be the best in this Country because people born here are not as good. So would you prefer only born and bred sportspeople representing this country who are born here and yet are never close to ever winning anything. Or would you prefer the system we have. It is up to you? People born here who never win much or the people you mention who represent this Country and did and do win things.

AnotherOldgit

Quote from: Holders on August 04, 2021, 11:12:19 PM

Rather her than that unsportsmanlike boxer who only has himself to blame for not doing better.

To be fair, he does only blame himself and he has a point. It annoys me when we talk about winning silver or bronze - you've won nothing. Do we talk about winning the runners up spot in the Europa League?

Lighthouse

Quote from: AnotherOldgit on August 05, 2021, 10:40:28 AM

To be fair, he does only blame himself and he has a point. It annoys me when we talk about winning silver or bronze - you've won nothing. Do we talk about winning the runners up spot in the Europa League?

There are three medals to be won in the Olympic events. So coming third means 'winning' a bronze medal. We don't want to be so superior as to consider failure as anything but winning. America and Nazi Germany did that and it didn't and doesn't look good.

HamsterWheel

Is nothing sacred? We'll be having Johnny Foreigner football players at Fulham next....

KingofCheese

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 05, 2021, 10:45:51 AM
Quote from: AnotherOldgit on August 05, 2021, 10:40:28 AM

There are three medals to be won in the Olympic events. So coming third means 'winning' a bronze medal. We don't want to be so superior as to consider failure as anything but winning. America and Nazi Germany did that and it didn't and doesn't look good.

Totally agree.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Holders

Quote from: MaximusDecimus on August 05, 2021, 10:15:58 AM

If you live or work in a foreign country, it's difficult not to pick up the accent especially the younger you are. Sometimes it's a subconscious attempt to fit in and not sound different, of which the person may not be aware.

I vehemently oppose those who live overseas to dodge tax but if the facilities aren't here then (a) they might have to go away to develop or (b) then they should be. 

I knew someone who emigrated to NZ as a child and came back after only a year or so saying things like "tiddy beer". She soon lost it again.  Another person was a HK Chinese who went to Uni in Glasgow and had a strong Glasgow accent. One day, he said that he'd better adopt a London accent as that's where he was working.

Many kids adopt aspects of, in particular, American from the TV without going away at all.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ALG01

Am I the only one that thinks these ages are way too young for this level of competiton.
Children should be children and not training for sport on a world stage woith all that that goes with it.

It was brilliant what she did but I find it all very unsettling and think there should a minimum age limit...

grandad

Quote from: ALG01 on August 05, 2021, 12:08:25 PM
Am I the only one that thinks these ages are way too young for this level of competiton.
Children should be children and not training for sport on a world stage woith all that that goes with it.

It was brilliant what she did but I find it all very unsettling and think there should a minimum age limit...

Totally agree. The under 16´s should not take part in adult competitions. Why do you think there are no 12 year old shot putters, boxers, pole vaulters etc. Their bodies are not developed enough. Pushy parents & coaches don´t help either.
Where there's a will there's a wife

rebel

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on August 04, 2021, 09:09:40 PM
Britain's youngest competitor and Olympic Bronze medalist. I cheered her until I read that she has a Japanese mother and a British father and was raised in Japan. She spends most of her time in America and I wonder when she has been to this country. This really disappointed me.

I think that becomes irrelevant, simply because people can choose which countries they represent within reason. In theory you could represent different countries at different times.

The only annoying thing is there was too much of the 'Disney Club' atmosphere. I want to see a mean competitive spirit. 

South Coast White

If my memory serves me correctly, many years ago half our national cricket team had mostly south African and Aussie players in it. So nothing has changed.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Quote from: grandad on August 05, 2021, 12:39:23 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on August 05, 2021, 12:08:25 PM

Totally agree. The under 16´s should not take part in adult competitions. Why do you think there are no 12 year old shot putters, boxers, pole vaulters etc. Their bodies are not developed enough. Pushy parents & coaches don´t help either.

I'm opened minded about things, but I agree with this. I also don't think the Transgender weightlifter should have been allowed to compete with the women. Not against transgender people whatsoever, but the fact she had started her transition at the age of 33 or whatever, meant she still has the muscle strength of a man. Justice was done when she failed all her lifts to be honest.

Dr Quinzel

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on August 04, 2021, 09:09:40 PM

She's 13. I have friends with mixed heritage, and even in their 30s they still have these conversations with their parents about what nationality they feel or who they support if one plays the other. It's not that big a deal if at 13 she's chosen us but may not 'appear' British. We don't know her or the family, do we?