more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A weak starting line up?

Started by General, August 08, 2021, 12:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

No anguissa

Hector not on bench, neither kongolo, Reed or knockaert. Starting with quite a weak team in my opinion especially with academy players in Carvalho and Francois. Is a lot to expect from them to dominate this league to the standard where we can win.

Kamara oddly on bench despite a rumoured move.

I think this doesn't bode well compared to what people were expecting with players like Frank staying. We look a completely different side without that security in midfield.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: General on August 08, 2021, 12:38:13 PM

No anguissa

Hector not on bench, neither kongolo, Reed or knockaert. Starting with quite a weak team in my opinion especially with academy players in Carvalho and Francois. Is a lot to expect from them to dominate this league to the standard where we can win.

I think this doesn't bode well compared to what people were expecting with players like Frank staying. We look a completely different side without that security in midfield.

Surely you're pleased to see our academy players playing?

General

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 08, 2021, 12:39:51 PM

No anguissa

Honestly it depends. I want to get promoted, if they have the quality to see that happen and be key players for us then great. If we're doing it because we don't have the squad or players available to play and they don't meet the quality then no, I won't be pleased. I enjoyed watching the goal against Charlton but this is where the competitive football starts and we've had ages to get in the right players if anguissa is to leave.

I don't currently, until I see more, feel as confident that this starting 11 is good enough, particularly in midfield.  Hardly anyone has been speaking of onomah given the options we thought we had, yet he's starting our opening game.

With a fully fit and available squad he doesn't get into the team.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: General on August 08, 2021, 12:44:40 PM

No anguissa

Honestly it depends. I want to get promoted, if they have the quality to see that happen and be key players for us then great. If we're doing it because we don't have the squad or players available to play and they don't meet the quality then no, I won't be pleased. I enjoyed watching the goal against Charlton but this is where the competitive football starts and we've had ages to get in the right players if anguissa is to leave.

I don't currently, until I see more, feel as confident that this starting 11 is good enough, particularly in midfield.  Hardly anyone has been speaking of onomah given the options we thought we had, yet he's starting our opening game.

I agree about Onomah and I don't know how good the academy players are, but I'm just pleased to get a chance to see them play.

RaySmith

No anguissa

I think the youngsters have deserved their place and am glad to see them starting.
Reed is injured i think, and Kongolo too?

General

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 08, 2021, 12:48:03 PM

No anguissa

I agree about Onomah and I don't know how good the academy players are, but I'm just pleased to get a chance to see them play.

I appreciate that, but forgive me when I say that's a very "cutsie" and soft attitude to have. We need to win, compete at the top of the league and get out of it. You can see academy players earn their stripes through merit and ease them in through substitute appearances and have them compete for those positions against established pros. Right now it looks like they're in those positions because we don't have better available.

Reed and cairney are injured,  anguissa looks off. We had a team that could've competed for automatics with maybe one or two additions. Don't forget we have mitro as an unknown after his lack of playing time under Parker, I get the sense he and others seem a bit jaded after going up and down regularly and hardly getting game time after putting in all the effort. We may have built a relatively toxic environment and bad reputation through all that and its hard to salvage that reputation.

Right now there are three players in that team that have obvious weaknesses that at this level will be exposed and targeted and the championship has players and managers who, if they smell blood, go for it and take advantage of it.

I'm just disappointed that that's our starting lineup coming into the new season, it feels like we've really not evolved as a club much or learned much despite all the promotions and relegations and that for me suggests there could be something seriously wrong and disjointed behind the scenes which could start to show in a bad way if that is the case.

Barrett487

I presume that Onomah is covering DM. Creativity provided by Francois..... Kebano & Wilson manning the flanks and Carvalho linking to Mitro.

The thing that concerns me is, have we got the bite we need for the Championship? We could be out-scrapped.

General

Quote from: Barrett487 on August 08, 2021, 01:00:42 PM
I presume that Onomah is covering DM. Creativity provided by Francois..... Kebano & Wilson manning the flanks and Carvalho linking to Mitro.

The thing that concerns me is, have we got the bite we need for the Championship? We could be out-scrapped.

Agreed. Does strike me as a particularly offensive but perhaps soft team.. very attacking but as you say, doesn't seem to have much bite.

Woolly Mammoth

An interesting starting line up, let us relax and wait to see the outcome as the match unfolds.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

jayffc

Quote from: General on August 08, 2021, 01:03:21 PM
Quote from: Barrett487 on August 08, 2021, 01:00:42 PM

Agreed. Does strike me as a particularly offensive but perhaps soft team.. very attacking but as you say, doesn't seem to have much bite.

Without Harrison we don't really have any players on the midfield roster that are ball winners so that needs addressing ASAP. That would have been stefjo as backup but he's gone now.

Excited that Silva is clearly focused on attacking but in this league we ignore the DM role at our risk

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: General on August 08, 2021, 12:57:43 PM

No anguissa

I appreciate that, but forgive me when I say that's a very "cutsie" and soft attitude to have. We need to win, compete at the top of the league and get out of it. You can see academy players earn their stripes through merit and ease them in through substitute appearances and have them compete for those positions against established pros. Right now it looks like they're in those positions because we don't have better available.

Reed and cairney are injured,  anguissa looks off. We had a team that could've competed for automatics with maybe one or two additions. Don't forget we have mitro as an unknown after his lack of playing time under Parker, I get the sense he and others seem a bit jaded after going up and down regularly and hardly getting game time after putting in all the effort. We may have built a relatively toxic environment and bad reputation through all that and its hard to salvage that reputation.

Right now there are three players in that team that have obvious weaknesses that at this level will be exposed and targeted and the championship has players and managers who, if they smell blood, go for it and take advantage of it.

I'm just disappointed that that's our starting lineup coming into the new season, it feels like we've really not evolved as a club much or learned much despite all the promotions and relegations and that for me suggests there could be something seriously wrong and disjointed behind the scenes which could start to show in a bad way if that is the case.

Both have done well in pre-season, so earned their chance. Now it's up to them to make the most of it and I will enjoy seeing what they can bring.

Skatzoffc

No anguissa

Agreed General

Looks a weak midfield to me
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

General

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 08, 2021, 01:11:39 PM
Quote from: General on August 08, 2021, 12:57:43 PM

No anguissa

Both have done well in pre-season, so earned their chance. Now it's up to them to make the most of it and I will enjoy seeing what they can bring.

Not sure you can earn it in pre season these days as so much of it is about trying out new tactics and building up fitness so it's not near the same level as competitive championship games.

Essentially it feels and looks like we're going through a transition and there are too many unknowns as things stand and this is hammering this home today and none of us really know what we can expect.

Silva is as unknown, both with his Knowledge of the championship and ability to get promoted..

This could be great but also could go horribly wrong and has an air of magaths first season in the championship where we played a lot of youth players and it didn't work out and we had to restart.

Silva has a win record across his three premier league jobs of 33%. That includes finishing one season in 8th with Everton. Translate that into the championship and we could be mid table quite easily if things are off behind the scenes etc.

We will have to just wait and see.

blingo

Let's review this after we've won the game

perry geyton

Anguissa's a traitor
Zero loyalty, always has been always will be

The exact reason why he'll never turn out to be a great player
Good riddance,,,,,,,,

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

This is the Championship, a marathon not a sprint
A team which is a work in progress & being re built - with a new manager & his support team.
The transfer window still open with more set to leave & hopefully some to join.
Lets give them all a chance, changes (as results) will come very quickly.
Staring with another long unbeaten run would be great but unlikely to happen, just yet

So COYW!! 

Jeroen

Statement of Silva to say: get me my midfielders!?!

cmg

Quote from: blingo on August 08, 2021, 01:21:00 PM
Let's review this after we've won the game

Revolutionary idea.
But a non-starter. We might win (another revolutionary notion). Then there'd be nothing to compain about.

I'm thinking of changing my name to 'Soft 'n' Cutesy'.
Better than 'White Flag General'.

General

It's going to be quite the test. Warnock teams are good at set pieces and scoring from them whilst silva has a record of being poor defensively. We also don't have the tallest squad now too.

Fingers crossed we smash it.

Twig

So now with TC out and Reed out we have neither a creative CM nor a defensive CM.  That looks a worryingly weak midfield to me.  Happy for two youngsters to get a start though.