watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gazzagoalie

Started by LittleErn, August 09, 2021, 04:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleErn

Nobody else seems to have commented on here about his positioning for the Middlesboro goal, but when I watched the replay I thought that he had moved too far to his right. He looked, admittedly from a snatched viewing on Sky, that he was outside the right hand post. I know goalies hate getting beaten at their near post but I'm not sure he got his angle right. Any goalkeeping experts on here who have an informed opinion?

Lordedmundo

Areola would have saved it  :016:

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Lordedmundo on August 09, 2021, 04:58:50 PM
Areola would have saved it  :016:

Thought the same thing. 9/10 keepers wouldn't have saved it, though.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

A defender stuck his foot out and the ball went under it and so blocked any view the keeper would have had. But always easier to blame the keeper.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Tabby

Can't fault him for the goal. Was flailing a bit at times, but did alright. Hard to look good when you only have one shot on goal.

Riversider

The young lad Francois switched off for their goal, was asking a lot to have such an inexperienced midfield especially against a Warnock side.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 09, 2021, 06:22:05 PM
A defender stuck his foot out and the ball went under it and so blocked any view the keeper would have had. But always easier to blame the keeper.
Tosin

MartyFFC

I think we got spoiled last season with Areola; he really is a class act. Not sure this fella looks any better than Rodak to be honest, however time will tell.....

Milo

Agree with OP that keeper was so concerned by his near post he over compensated. I think he felt he could dive and cover anything coming across goal, he was even inviting it as if to make things easier for himself "I know I'll have to dive left and not worry about near post". However, misjudged how close to goal opposition were and hence how quickly the shot was hit. Past him before he had chance to stick a boot out.

LittleErn

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 09, 2021, 06:22:05 PM

I wasn't blaming him. Francois getting bullied started it, and there were other errors. I just wanted some informed views.

cookieg

The ball went through Tosin's legs, his view was blocked.

RaySmith

A bit unlucky, when we'd done so  well defensively up till then.

The keeper should have had it covered, but it sneaked past him.

Gaz didn't have a lot to do, and looked a bit understandably nervous  maybe. Areola always looked so confident.
We nearly gave away  an own goal in the first half from a back pass, was it Robinson who overhit it? and Gaz just got to it to put it behind for a corner.

filham

We really should have scored at least two goals which would have made this discussion irrelevant.

glenhodgso

:plus one:
Quote from: filham on August 09, 2021, 09:36:55 PM
We really should have scored at least two goals which would have made this discussion irrelevant.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

I dont get why we gave Rodak the No1 shirt and then benched him.

Tabby

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on August 09, 2021, 10:35:50 PM
I dont get why we gave Rodak the No1 shirt and then benched him.

Supposedly had a finger injury. Nothing major, but that is why Fabri has been in goal at pre-season.

Jimsbeerbelly

I'm sorry, but Gazzaniga isn't saving that, and all this talk about Areola saving it as well, is utter rubbish.

From a goalkeepers point view, he did everything right, had his front post covered, invited the striker to go across goal.

It was just one of those shots, low, hard, wet conditions and fast, and no keeper has the reactions to get down that quick.

Seeing it front the Hammy end, the ball nearly took the netting out when it hit the inside.

I get people want to see Rodak do well, but not sure why we have to slaughter every other keeper that comes in.

Surprised the striker isn't getting more credit for the goal, thought he took it very well.

RaySmith

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on August 09, 2021, 10:55:51 PM
I'm sorry, but Gazzaniga isn't saving that, and all this talk about Areola saving it as well, is utter rubbish.

From a goalkeepers point view, he did everything right, had his front post covered, invited the striker to go across goal.

It was just one of those shots, low, hard, wet conditions and fast, and no keeper has the reactions to get down that quick.

Seeing it front the Hammy end, the ball nearly took the netting out when it hit the inside.

I get people want to see Rodak do well, but not sure why we have to slaughter every other keeper that comes in.

Surprised the striker isn't getting more credit for the goal, thought he took it very well.

It was a very good shot, and i felt sorry for Gaz, who'd be bound to be criticised for his positioning.

Areola is a hard act to follow, and people will inevitably compare them.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on August 09, 2021, 10:55:51 PM

Agreed. Not a keeper in the world that saves that.