watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Silva's use of the English language

Started by Ludlow Richard, August 17, 2021, 10:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ludlow Richard

Just watched a four minute interview with Sky. His command of English is so much better than Parker's and what he says is so well structured and clear. His English is far far better than my Portugese.

gerrys

Quote from: Ludlow Richard on August 17, 2021, 10:38:30 PM
Just watched a four minute interview with Sky. His command of English is so much better than Parker's and what he says is so well structured and clear. His English is far far better than my Portugese.
Parker's English was very confusing......didn't know whether to say "them" or "those"......

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: gerrys on August 17, 2021, 10:47:52 PM
Parker's English was very confusing......didn't know whether to say "them" or "those"......

It was so annoying, I'm glad it wasn't just me.

Black, White and Fred

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 17, 2021, 11:01:56 PM
Quote from: gerrys on August 17, 2021, 10:47:52 PM

It was so annoying, I'm glad it wasn't just me.

It was his use of 'what' instead of 'that' which used to grate me
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

Twig

If I point out other posters' poor grammar, misspelling or misuse of words I get told I'm a boring pedant. Which is fine. But then how come it's ok to make the same criticisms of Parker? That's a little bit hypocritical isn't it?

General

Agreed. He was also the complete opposite of Parker in terms of how fast he spoke and passionately he did. Parker was always quite slow and seemingly laboured. Silva talks like he's off down a F1 track.

legana

Parker has moved on and so should we. These sort of comments feel a little childish and unnecessarily personal.

Kiwimike

Parker speaks like a typical Londoner, particularly from the Eastern side - where I grew up!  Grammar isn't his greatest attribute, Sleazy 'Arry is the same.  He can't help it -it's what he learned when growing up and nobody corrected him.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

News flash!!

Parker is gone from the club. These posts about him and the way he speaks etc are not important, nor are they necessary.

But also, not one person on this board will say the correct pronunciation of the correct word 100% of the time and having a needless dig at Parker for it, is petty.

Just forget about him and move on. 

Neil D

I can't say I noticed any particular issues with Parker's grammar but it was a relief to hear a London accent instead of all the Northern-speak we get on the media these days - particularly annoying when bona fide Southerners affect Northern vowels to enhance their career prospects.  O tempora, o mores!

filham

Haven't got around to studying Silva's english as I am still dumb struck by his football.

Kiwimike

my pot about Parker's accent was just a comment in response to others.  I liked the fact that he was a Londoner who spoke like one and was proud of where he came from.
As noted he has gone so no more on the subject from me.

AJW48361

We got to move on from Parker I would settle for both getting promoted.