watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Carvalho or R Sessegnon?

Started by General, August 18, 2021, 09:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Both have the same youthful exuberance and seeming ability to make their mark to a decent standard at this league.. so wondering how people think they compare?

One a CM/AM and the other a LB come LW so not like for like.

We got a few good years out of Ryan who by his own hard work earned a name for himself and went to Tottenham but has hardly played there since in going on 2-3 years of being there and didn't play all the time at hoffenheim and hasn't gone back on loan (yet).

Wondering why the cycle is so predictable with kids never learning that you've more time than you think before you need to consider jumping ship and actually building something at a club that know you and want the best for you  but isn't a "big club" can actually make a positive difference.

FulhamStu

Big clubs have so much talent it is doubly difficult to break into the team.  We need to get Carvalho on a decent contract, pay him what he is worth with a big buy out clause if necessary (£20)?   As to who is the better don't think you can answer that yet, what you can say is the Carvalho looks fantastic and Sess made an error leaving when he did.  He should have satayed for another 3 years or so, would still have been very well paid and then moved on if he wanted too.  It's difficult though, the idea of very big wages, the glammer of big club etc etc, but Roberts and Sess are examples that if you move for the money too early, you are likely to struggle.

bencher

I think one of the difficult things for the young players in these situations is that, to get as far as they have, they have had to back themselves as being good enough, so when a big team comes looking, they will think, I will back myself to get noticed in training and get picked for the first team. Obviously the money is a big pull as well, but for Sess especially, he had come off the back of a difficult season for both him as a player and the club in general. He may have thought it was now or never. What they probably don't factor in is that these teams will not give them any adjustment time. 

Who knows what will happen with Carvalho, but with him, we are a club who have been in the PL in 2 out of the last 3 seasons, and he might think, if things carry on as they have started, he could be playing PL football next season anyway. For Sess, probably for Elliot, and definitely for Roberts, we were essentially a Championship team.

In terms of comparing Sess and Carvalho, ignoring their different positions, I think Carvalho is much more technically gifted than Sessegnon. Early days of course, but I see a higher ceiling for him.

Hatch007

Both fantastic talents but remember Sess was playing regularly for us in the Championship from the age of 17 which is mightily impressive! 👏

Fabio will be 19 at the end of this month.

With Rodak, Francois and Stansfield on the bench last night it speaks volumes for the quality of our Academy

Craven Mad

Fabio should look at the career of Sess (who had achieved much more by the same age) as caution to him: leaving too soon can be damaging to your career. At his age he should focus on playtime, not money.

As for the question, Fabio's had a couple of good games whereas Sess was a beast for us across a few seasons. Fabio's a way of that level right now, but could get there if he continues like this.

filham

I always had doubts about Sess.'s defensive qualities and thought his main benefit to us was his goal poaching. It really is too early in Cavelho's first team life to draw comparison but having said that my favour would be with him.

b+w geezer

Just on the departure of Sess...without any inside knowledge I'd strongly imagine we needed him to go, for FFP reasons, and did not try to dissuade. He'd have known for his part that it was practically his duty to raise a large fee. Not suggesting he was unwilling, just that it was consensual both ways.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: filham on August 18, 2021, 09:47:52 AM
I always had doubts about Sess.'s defensive qualities and thought his main benefit to us was his goal poaching. It really is too early in Cavelho's first team life to draw comparison but having said that my favour would be with him.
I totally agree Fulham.
I would go further and say that Sess had started going backwards well before he left for Spurs.

davew

I wonder if Sess, Roberts and Elliott regret their moves from Fulham so early in their professional careers?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Somerset Fulham

People talk as though Eliott and Sess have failed, they really haven't yet.

bobby01

Sess starting for spuds tonight.  Hmm I wonder if they will make a move for Kenny Tater. 064.gif
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

LC

Sessegon tended to go missing in games, he came to life in the 10 yard box. I always thought his best position would be playing just off the centre forward, but he was never played there.

From what I've seen, and I still need to see more, I would probably pick Fabio at this time. 

HillingdonFFC

Sessegnon had fantastic maturity for his age but I really think Carvahlo has a higher ceiling. I think a lot of people got a bit carried away with Sess. If you break it down, he wasn't a slouch but not really quick enough to get away from premier League defenders, also hasn't really got a trick or two to do someone with skill either. What he did have was the ability to find space in the box & finish, something that let him down a bit in the premier League
I've been watching Carvahlo & the runs he makes are brilliant, it's innate, you can't teach that & to see a kid barely 18 with that kind of football nouse is brilliant
He actually reminds me a bit of a slightly nippier Malbranque

SG

Quote from: bobby01 on August 19, 2021, 07:55:18 PM
Sess starting for spuds tonight.  Hmm I wonder if they will make a move for Kenny Tater. 064.gif

Hardly their strongest line up. He wasn't in the 20 man squad for last weeks match. Seems to me he has regressed and is not going to progress to their first team

Tabby

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on August 19, 2021, 07:39:32 PM
People talk as though Eliott and Sess have failed, they really haven't yet.

Especially when it comes to Elliott as he is a year younger than Carvalho and already has a full Championship season under his belt.

FFCFOREVER

Quote from: FulhamStu on August 18, 2021, 09:26:33 AM
Big clubs have so much talent it is doubly difficult to break into the team.  We need to get Carvalho on a decent contract, pay him what he is worth with a big buy out clause if necessary (£20)?   As to who is the better don't think you can answer that yet, what you can say is the Carvalho looks fantastic and Sess made an error leaving when he did.  He should have satayed for another 3 years or so, would still have been very well paid and then moved on if he wanted too.  It's difficult though, the idea of very big wages, the glammer of big club etc etc, but Roberts and Sess are examples that if you move for the money too early, you are likely to struggle.
100% agreed.

rebel

Quote from: LC on August 19, 2021, 08:31:09 PM
Sessegon tended to go missing in games, he came to life in the 10 yard box. I always thought his best position would be playing just off the centre forward, but he was never played there.

From what I've seen, and I still need to see more, I would probably pick Fabio at this time. 

In one match for us Sess just fell over 3 / 4 times, no one near him, the commentator picked up on that. For me Carvalho has a much better all round game, might build up an awesome partnership with Mitro.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Elliott definitely doesn't regret leaving us. He plays for Liverpool, got a lot of minutes in pre season and may well make a few starts. Plus, his family are all Liverpool supporters, so he's in dream land.

Sess, perhaps. His brother is still with us, but that doesn't really mean anything. I know they're from around the area though, just not sure if they supported us or the other lot.

As for Carvalho. Who knows what his agent tells him. He'll be as money hungry (probably more right this second) that Fabio and will want to get him a big move for his benefit.

But with youngsters in general, if you're good enough and have the right mentality, it shouldn't matter where you move too. I just think a lot of our previous players that have moved to bigger clubs, thought they'd "made it" and gave up a bit.

shepperton white

Fabio, Sess and Harvey - what a fantastic front three they would have been.  However we are left with just Fabio, just hope he signs for another three years

RAY Rock ????

Sessegnon all day long he was playing for us at 16 years old and scoring goals. He gave me two of the best nights of my life beating derby and villa and he contributed massively to both games . He also signed a contract and we got 25 million for him.