more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bobby Campbell

Started by Motspur Park, October 01, 2021, 10:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motspur Park

From the BBC....

For the first time in 43 years, two managers with the same name will face up to each other - Exeter's Matt Taylor going up against Walsall's... Matt Taylor.

Not since 1978, when Fulham's Bobby Campbell came up against Bristol Rovers' Bobby Campbell, have two namesake bosses met.

Got me thinking that Campbell is right up there with Magath and Symons as amongst the poorest managers of Fulham in my opinion of my time watching Fulham from the early 70s. I really don't mean it in a bad way to Kit because he seems a really nice guy and gave great service to FFC. I was quite young when Campbell managed us but my recollection was after Stock, he was a really poor manager. Anybody else have an opinion of the Campbell era?

ALG01

Campbell was with branfoot the worst. Both had good squads and made them dull, boring and unable to win.

Macdonald took the same squad and suddenly we were world beaters.

Motspur Park

Quote from: ALG01 on October 01, 2021, 10:15:16 PM
Campbell was with branfoot the worst. Both had good squads and made them dull, boring and unable to win.

Macdonald took the same squad and suddenly we were world beaters.
That's what I mean about being poor in that Campbell should have achieved more with what he had. Ditto Kit but Branfoot had a job with a club with virtually no money. Respectfully, I don't think it is fair to judge him on that basis.

St Eve

I have seen some poor managers, bad managers and bloody awful managers, but there are no words to describe Felix

Rupert

Yes, Campbell was very poor. He and Bill Dodgin jnr blighted my early days at the Cottage.
Thank God for Alec Stock.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Andy S

I agree Branfoot had to manage a club with no money. He brought in some journeymen including Micky Adams. Micky got us up on fresh air and enthusiasm. There have been a few managers everywhere who prove to be poor but nobody beats Felix Mcgath.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: St Eve on October 01, 2021, 10:47:01 PM
I have seen some poor managers, bad managers and bloody awful managers, but there are no words to describe Felix
how about unverschämt exzentrisch, inkonsequent, egoistisch und nutzlos?  You get the general idea from that lovely last word which means 'useless'.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Fulham 442

I agree, took being an awful manager to another level. 

bog

Campbell is not recalled with any respect at all but was a micro shade better than Alan 'Dicks out!' Dicks. Don Mackay was another left wanting...wanting the sack.   

092.gif

bog

Quote from: Rupert on October 01, 2021, 11:35:25 PM
Yes, Campbell was very poor. He and Bill Dodgin jnr blighted my early days at the Cottage.

I don't agree about Bill Dodgin jnr. The club was an absolute shambles when he took over: he did get us promoted from the old division three.

092.gif

AJW48361

Campbell like Ray Harford better no2s than managers

Motspur Park

Quote from: AJW48361 on October 02, 2021, 09:08:46 AM
Campbell like Ray Harford better no2s than managers
Absolutely agree with this. May be slightly controversial here but Ray Lew is exactly the same. Great 2 but just not a manager.

MickTheBeard

Agree results under Campbell were poor,but he bought some good players.Maybank,Guthrie,evens,war boys,money ,storey and not so much kitchen from orient,but we did get our money back,maybank twice.

ALG01

Exactly so. felix does not fit normal definition so i prefer to forget we ever had him.

AJW48361

Like Ray Harford liked and respected by the players.

ALG01

Quote from: bog on October 02, 2021, 09:02:40 AM

I don't agree about Bill Dodgin jnr. The club was an absolute shambles when he took over: he did get us promoted from the old division three.

092.gif

I liked bill we payed attractive 4  2 4 and went up.

filham

Quote from: bog on October 02, 2021, 09:02:40 AM

092.gif
Yes I agree ,Bill Dodgin Jnr. was not too bad, certainly better than his father.

Motspur Park

Quote from: MickTheBeard on October 02, 2021, 10:09:04 AM
Agree results under Campbell were poor,but he bought some good players.Maybank,Guthrie,evens,war boys,money ,storey and not so much kitchen from orient,but we did get our money back,maybank twice.
Some of the players you mentioned are amongst my favourites. Loved Maybank, Guthrie & Warboys. Storey divides opinion but I thought we needed to be tougher and Storey supplied that. Evans was solid if unspectacular. Even more disappointing that he couldn't make it work.

sunburywhite

Has everyone forgotten Vic Buckingham?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me