https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fury v Wilder

Started by Dodgin, October 10, 2021, 05:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgin

Fury wins in11th a very brave Wider. Great battle of courage

Woolly Mammoth

It was a classic pure theatre and Fury was even braver. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jamie88

That should go down as one of the greatest heavyweight fights in history. I find Wilder quite unlikeable, but fair play to him for never giving up and even when he looked completely out of it there were still occasions where Fury had to be careful.

filham

I have lost the plot on boxing, is there more than one recognised world champion or is Fury undisputed world heavyweight champion.

Jamie88

Quote from: filham on October 10, 2021, 10:51:16 AM
I have lost the plot on boxing, is there more than one recognised world champion or is Fury undisputed world heavyweight champion.

Yes, that has been the way for the last forty or so years I believe. The WBC, WBA, WBO and IBF all have their own belts for the differing weight categories.

Fury currently holds the WBC belt, Usyk holds the other three.

Dodgin

All a bit confusing but might be Lennox Lewis. Not like the days of Joe Louis.

Sgt Fulham

A fight for the ages. Tyson the better fighter, but two absolute warriors in the ring. This is what boxing should be.

JimOG

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on October 10, 2021, 12:29:50 PM
A fight for the ages. Tyson the better fighter, but two absolute warriors in the ring. This is what boxing should be.

Yes a great fight but neither would get into the Top 20 (possibly far more) a generation back. Like enjoying a really thrilling Vauxhall Conference match whilst knowing it's not PSG v City.
I think Fury would beat Joshua who, for me, is a technically poor fighter - that assumes he wins the rematch which is far from certain as he has to face a really good boxer.

filham

Quote from: Dodgin on October 10, 2021, 11:28:02 AM
All a bit confusing but might be Lennox Lewis. Not like the days of Joe Louis.

Those were the days, no doubt about it in those days Joe Lois was the undisputed champion of the world, America ruled the roost in those days.
The British hero was Bruce Woodcock as I remember it but he never reached world status.

Dodgin

Way back in the day, there was Tommy Farr losing to Joe Louis and Don Cockell beaten by Rocky Marciano in attempts to win Heavyweight title but nowhere as heavy as they are now.

Steeeeeeeeeed

I managed to find the whole fight highlights on YouTube about 8am this morning, and emailed the link to my dad saying he should try to watch it ASAP as will probably get removed soon...

At 12 noon I got an email back from him saying it was great and thanks for the link...(he loves the big fights but never pays for the Pay Per View nonsense)

I then went to watch it 5 minutes later and it was no longer available.

Ah well, maybe worth trying on there if interested, certainly found a few unofficial highlights videos, but not great quality so far.

Somerset Fulham

Here you go.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x84rgy2

It was a truly great contest and for those who don't think Fury would be in the top 20 from days gone by, I'm not so sure.

sunburywhite

Good fight
All thiose shots must really hurt
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Craven_Chris

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on October 10, 2021, 05:04:26 PM
Here you go.

It was a truly great contest and for those who don't think Fury would be in the top 20 from days gone by, I'm not so sure.

I agree, unlike most sports, boxing's heyday seems to be in the past, but the innovations in training and nutrition probably mean today's fighters are competitive with those of old.

Fury would have had 60lbs, 6 inches in height and 7 inches in reach advantage over peak Ali. Add in his mobility and I think that is an interesting contest. Not that we will ever know!

3 Cherries

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on October 10, 2021, 02:17:37 PM
I managed to find the whole fight highlights on YouTube about 8am this morning, and emailed the link to my dad saying he should try to watch it ASAP as will probably get removed soon...

At 12 noon I got an email back from him saying it was great and thanks for the link...(he loves the big fights but never pays for the Pay Per View nonsense)

I then went to watch it 5 minutes later and it was no longer available.

Ah well, maybe worth trying on there if interested, certainly found a few unofficial highlights videos, but not great quality so far.

You don't need to pay per view with all the pirate streams on the net

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Quote from: Craven_Chris on October 11, 2021, 06:32:53 PM
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on October 10, 2021, 05:04:26 PM
Here you go.

I agree, unlike most sports, boxing's heyday seems to be in the past, but the innovations in training and nutrition probably mean today's fighters are competitive with those of old.

Fury would have had 60lbs, 6 inches in height and 7 inches in reach advantage over peak Ali. Add in his mobility and I think that is an interesting contest. Not that we will ever know!

Think you're over reacting a touch. Ali was something else. Along with Mike Tyson. baring in mind the competition in those days was far better than now, both would destroy the division now.

blingo

Foreman would have grilled him

Carborundum

Watching a replay, the boxer Deontay Wilder reminded me of was Joe Frazier.  Bigger punch and fewer boxing skills than Smokin' Joe, but that obdurate denial of pain and determination to keep going was reminiscent of my all-time favourite.  Boxing reveals a lot about character and both of these boxers are fascinating characters.  Hats off to the pair of them.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Quote from: Carborundum on October 11, 2021, 08:28:43 PM
Watching a replay, the boxer Deontay Wilder reminded me of was Joe Frazier.  Bigger punch and fewer boxing skills than Smokin' Joe, but that obdurate denial of pain and determination to keep going was reminiscent of my all-time favourite.  Boxing reveals a lot about character and both of these boxers are fascinating characters.  Hats off to the pair of them.

I'm not wearing a hat.

Craven_Chris

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on October 11, 2021, 07:52:55 PM

Think you're over reacting a touch. Ali was something else. Along with Mike Tyson. baring in mind the competition in those days was far better than now, both would destroy the division now.

I guess we can never know, but this would make boxing pretty unique as a sport where the highest quality participants were in the 20th century, I cant think of many other examples, but it is at least plausible given the apparent loss in popularity of the sport (I assume fewer people pursue boxing as a career now compared to the past).

Tyson obviously had his time in the late 80s when he was in his early 20s. Did he dominate because the division was weak then, or was he amazing but lost his skills through mismanagement and much publicised private life issues? Or both? Certainly by the late 90s and his early 30s others had surpassed him. Pretty sure 33 year old Fury beats 33 year old Tyson. But 20 year old Tyson was awesome, while 20 year old Fury punched himself in the face by mistake, so that would be no contest in Tyson's favour!