watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Acknowledging denis odoi

Started by General, October 24, 2021, 09:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC In Oz

It's so useful having a player like Denis in the squad.

Doesn't complain about a lack of game time, can cover multiple positions, and despite the odd lapse in concentration or error in judgment (usually more so when he was playing at CB), is usually very reliable.

Great clubman and a great role model for the youngsters.

bill taylors apprentice

All clubs need a player like Denis for all the good reasons given here.

As for Robinson, I too get frustrated when he makes an excellent run with the ball and rarely delivers a positive pass or cross.
In fact more often than not he looks foolish when he gets to a point and looks like he doesn't know what to do.

But, what he brings to the team defensively is very good and some fail to see this, his speed of recovery, strength of tackle, ability to clear the ball and even his heading.

His weakness when deciding his final ball can be coached and I think its as much a mental issue than improving his technique.

General

Quote from: Motspur on October 24, 2021, 10:57:05 PM
14 GOALS conceded this season:-

Coventry (4) - Ream/Onomah cock up; a penalty that was incorrectly awarded (Robinson involved), and two subsequent goals from RIGHT hand side of our defence

Boro (1) - Goal from shot from right hand side of our defence

Huddersfield (1) - Central defence scoring situation.

QPR (1) - Joe Bryan played and let Dykes run onto pass. Robinson came on after and at 1-1 we turned into 3-1 victory

Millwall (1) - Freak goal in centre off defence

Blackpool (1) - Conceded on the left but Seri defending could have been better

Reading (2) - Shot from right hand side which should have been defended better by Denis and second goal could have been defended better by Tosin.

Swansea (1) - Square defence line and Denis/Tim caught out by their forward to score.

Bristol City (1) - Offside goal allowed by officials.

Brum (1) - penalty conceded by Denis for rash foul.

Conclusion :
Antonee Robinson hasn't been involved in conceded goals in comparison to Denis. I like Denis for his versatility but please lay off Antonee as he's a player for progression and our future.

Interesting summation of goals conceded so far this season though I haven't gone through them all myself to see merit to what you've written I assume most to be likely accurate.

That said though, Denis hasn't been on the pitch for every goal we've conceded which you've listed and secondly it does seem to miss the fact he's also been a very productive player further up the field, I can count the hand he had in our first goal yesterday and winning the penalty and at least two assists from pinpoint crosses into the box.

I'm a fan of Robinson, but get frustrated as his pace gives him such a golden ticket at this level in particular where if he calmed down in key areas, particularly attacking he could do just as much damage but there seems to be a immaturity to his game in that regards, though he has improved this season somewhat.

toshes mate

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on October 24, 2021, 09:37:34 PM
Good post General.

I've never had any problem with the guy playing, he has been an absolutely fantastic servant to this club and can always be relied upon when needed.  :54:
+1

Maidstone Lee

We all know Odoi has his limitations, especially going forward but you cannot fault his effort or desire each game. He has played well whilst he has filled in in Tete's absence. Good on the lad.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

davew

Quote from: toshes mate on October 25, 2021, 11:24:06 AM
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on October 24, 2021, 09:37:34 PM
Good post General.

I've never had any problem with the guy playing, he has been an absolutely fantastic servant to this club and can always be relied upon when needed.  :54:
+1
Totally agree!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

bigalffc

Dennis is a fantastic squad player that can and has filled in anywhere across the back four. He always gives 100% and a true Fulham man
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

EN1 FFC

For me Denis has a lot more positives then negatives.
His heading ability is underrated and has helped us out in both boxes at freekicks and corners. He has a good leap and can out jump taller opponents. He's comfortable tackling with both feet and he can defend against both right and left footed wingers.
He overlaps and generally crosses a ball well when he pushes forward. Generally he has a good recovery rate of getting back.
The negatives are he loses concentration sometimes and opponent managers do target him because our right side midfield are weak at tracking back to help him, so they put an overload on that side. I'm more happier when Reed is playing because you know he is going to cover that area better.

ChesterTheTabby

Dennis is a class act, period!
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

legana

I think the fact he isn't a giant probably restricts him from being first choice CB but I have always wondered why we never tried using him as a defensive midfielder, protecting the back four, as he is his comfortable with the ball at his feet. Thought it was silly to get booked yesterday in the opposition half.

Denver Fulham

I've always been an Odoi fan. He's been a very valuable and loyal servant to the club. Excellent chap, too. Glad we've had him at the club.

That said, he makes some pretty jarring mistakes, like when Grabban should have equalized yesterday. Start at 0:41 in this clip -- when Odoi is clearly picking up Grabban in transition -- and watch as Odoi completely abandons him for some reason to run on the wrong side of Tosin's man, even though Tosin is between the ball and his man, which leaves Grabban completely unmarked. Huge letoff from a huge mental error.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mhqBbpZf_o

grandad

A real club man & passion by the bucket full. , Fulham through & through. Big heart & yesterday an assist & a pen.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Art Vandelay

The modern day Chris Baird.

Very versatile and always gives his best, we are lucky to have him.

Whitesideup

I'm not in favour of dissing our players, especially if they are putting in a good shift. All players make mistakes. Denis has done well for us. Don't forget he not only filled in at CB a couple of years ago, but was playing well enough to keep Kalas out of the team. And he has done well in his games this season. Robinson's distribution is perhaps not always the best, but generally he is defensively solid and his pace helps both defensively and offensively. It's good that we have Bryan as well competing for a place - it'll keep them both on their toes.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: Art Vandelay on October 25, 2021, 03:54:15 PM
The modern day Chris Baird.

Very versatile and always gives his best, we are lucky to have him.

Great comparison that!

Barrett487

Quote from: legana on October 25, 2021, 01:29:33 PM
I think the fact he isn't a giant probably restricts him from being first choice CB but I have always wondered why we never tried using him as a defensive midfielder, protecting the back four, as he is his comfortable with the ball at his feet. Thought it was silly to get booked yesterday in the opposition half.
I agree with the DM comment, but maybe that boat has sailed. There are a few players who seem to love playing for us, they love the set-up, fans and the club in general. Denis is one, along with Neeskins and Mitro. There are probably others.
Regarding his performances, whilst he does make some errors, I think that positives far outweigh the negatives. His crossing and input in our attack is great and his defending is mostly good. Don't forget tha he has mopped up for others when they make errors.

Twig

Quote from: Barrett487 on October 25, 2021, 05:17:45 PM
Quote from: legana on October 25, 2021, 01:29:33 PM
I agree with the DM comment, but maybe that boat has sailed. There are a few players who seem to love playing for us, they love the set-up, fans and the club in general. Denis is one, along with Neeskins and Mitro. There are probably others.
Regarding his performances, whilst he does make some errors, I think that positives far outweigh the negatives. His crossing and input in our attack is great and his defending is mostly good. Don't forget tha he has mopped up for others when they make errors.

Agree with this. I think we have been fortunate to have a player like Odoi in our squad, there have been multiple occasions when we'd have been let struggling for suitable cover without Odoi.

Pluto

Odoi is a useful player to have in the squad and has been better than expected, but I strongly feel that he is our third best right back and is too error prone to start for a side chasing automatic promotion in this division. I certainly wouldn't be praising as a standout performer over recent weeks.

As I say though, great club guy and his versatility is very valuable in a league where there are a lot of games.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Pluto on October 26, 2021, 01:33:13 PM
Odoi is a useful player to have in the squad and has been better than expected, but I strongly feel that he is our third best right back and is too error prone to start for a side chasing automatic promotion in this division. I certainly wouldn't be praising as a standout performer over recent weeks.

As I say though, great club guy and his versatility is very valuable in a league where there are a lot of games.

Who is second?

filham

Odoi has been with the club a whie now and to me he usully puts in a good shift. Reassuring to know that he is available as cover for Tete