watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Both Goalkeepers

Started by JimmyConway, October 27, 2021, 09:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyConway

Have to say not totally convinced by either.
Rodak might be a confidence thing being No2 for over a season as seems a bit nervy to me. Both don't come for crosses unless unchallenged surely being with Areola last season this might of rubbed off on Rodak. Perhaps it's a modern goalie theme nowadays and coaches don't drill them in this part of the game as much.
They both have good attributes but don't have the whole package. Not sure in those games where the keeper earns you a point or three either are up to mark.

Perhaps we won't need an outstanding goalie this season? Defence has shown of late very miserly which might be down to having Rodak back who knows? Or have settled down knowing teammates strengths & weaknesses.

Just an observation of what I've seen so far this season.

Perhaps I might be a tad harsh on both!

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: JimmyConway on October 27, 2021, 09:23:46 AM
Have to say not totally convinced by either.
Rodak might be a confidence thing being No2 for over a season as seems a bit nervy to me. Both don't come for crosses unless unchallenged surely being with Areola last season this might of rubbed off on Rodak. Perhaps it's a modern goalie theme nowadays and coaches don't drill them in this part of the game as much.
They both have good attributes but don't have the whole package. Not sure in those games where the keeper earns you a point or three either are up to mark.

Perhaps we won't need an outstanding goalie this season? Defence has shown of late very miserly which might be down to having Rodak back who knows? Or have settled down knowing teammates strengths & weaknesses.

Just an observation of what I've seen so far this season.

Perhaps I might be a tad harsh on both!

Rodak showed last time that he's a quality keeper, so I think we can rely on him. One area he needs to improve is his kicking, it's poor at this level.

Jim©

I do kind of agree. I don't see Rodak as a huge upgrade on Gazza (that's not having a go at Marek- more that I rate Gazza more than most).
Areola was a different league of keeper to these two, I can't quite believe he's not got the gloves at West Ham yet.

Amazingly during a three game run (Swansea, Coventry & Cardiff) we conceded 6 goals from the 7 shots on target that we faced. That's genuinely not good enough- though improved when you look at last 5 games: 12 shots on target, 6 goals conceded. Still poor though.

H4usuallysitting

Couldn't we get Mark Scwarzer to hold a few training sessions - if my old memory serves me correctly, he used to practice aerial work at half time

Andy S

I think you are a little harsh on both keepers. Neither have made any horrendous cock ups so far. In fact they do not have a lot to do. However  they have done what is called upon. At this level you will never find a perfect keeper. There are plenty that do not even get near to adequate

cookieg

I can't remember which game highlights I was watching over the weekend but the keeper came for a cross over two attackers and ended up dropping the ball and the attacking team scored. A keeper has 4 things to think about when a ball is delivered into the box. Should he stay on his line and trust his defence to clear the ball, come to catch the ball but possibly risk getting knocked off balance by defenders or attackers and risk dropping the ball, punching or palming the ball away or letting the ball drift across and maybe out for a throw or allow a defender to collect the ball.

It's very easy to catch a ball when there are no attackers around just as it is to hit a 60 yard pass when you are not being pressured to a team mate who isn't under pressure either.

I don't think there is much between Gazza or Rodak, something had to change with the whole team after Coventry so whoever was in goal so we may well have had the same results these last few games.

Deeping_white

Rodak is by far the better shot stopper I think, he just seems to have better positioning and reflexes. Gazza is the better sweeper keeper and dsitrubutor, Rodak just seems very slow to come out and he takes about 30 mins to decide what he's going to do with the ball at his feet. On that basis it just comes down to what the manager wants from which keeper on a given day, it's not as clear cut as some people would have you believe on here.

Fernhurst

Agree with Jim, Areola completely different gravy-
How much did West Ham pay for him or is he still on loan?

If we attain promotion and our ambition is to stay in The Prem we need to get him or similar immediately we have the opportunity.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

General

Feel more confident with rodak in between the sticks. The amount of times I saw Gazzaniga not even move to attempt to save a shot before rodak came in was shocking and very worrisome. Just know rodak will attempt to make the save every time.

General

Quote from: Fernhurst on October 27, 2021, 12:33:31 PM
Agree with Jim, Areola completely different gravy-
How much did West Ham pay for him or is he still on loan?

If we attain promotion and our ambition is to stay in The Prem we need to get him or similar immediately we have the opportunity.

He's on loan. Would love to have him back. He has been playing in the European games though.

blingo

I would have paid over the top to keep Areola at FFC.

ALG01

Not sure where this thread has come from.

Rodak is a way better keeper, dominates his area and seems to inspire confidence in the back four. the only minor point he realkly has very little to do in the games he has played but when the ball is in the air he has dealt with it except when he was physically forced off the ball by a forward that was fouling him. Gazza? I have no confidence in when the ball is crossed into the box, he really could cost us promotion, Rodak is the natural first choice.

ianthailand

I feel more confident with Marek in goal than Gazza. There is not a lot between them, agree with Deeping Marek is the better shot stopper, the save from Lolley that came low from the right near the end was top drawer. Gazza's distribution is generally better. Marek is younger and has more upside, hope he retains the jersey.

Whitesideup

Have to say that I think the opening post is harsh. Jimmy - are you setting your expectations too high? Do you really expect the today's equivalent of Gordon Banks in goal for us?

For me there is absolutely no doubt that Rodak is an excellent keeper at this level, demonstrated two seasons ago, and is now having an opportunity to do the same again. True he has never been tested at Premier League level and was kept out of the side by Areola, who I thought might have been in the top 5 or 6 keepers in the league last year.

Rodak's shot stopping is excellent, been a couple of outstanding stops in the last two games that I can recall. I have no real gripe with Gazza, but think at times he has not commanded his box as well as Rodak would have done. Thus Rodak 1st choice for me, and if we were to get promoted would be happy to see him given his chance.

Skatzoffc

Rodak all day long for me. No question.
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

WindyCity

Rodak for me also.  Gazza looked dodgy from the get go.  It's true that FFC defense has helped keep both keepers from a whole lot of duty.  But methinks the troops are much more comfortable with Rodak back there, maybe more trust in him and he does seem to take command of his domain and display confidence.  Hope Rodak can continue to earn his place there......

perry geyton

Rodaks good enough,  whereas Gazza's a liability and wouldn't last 5 mins in the premiership

Ruislip White

Quote from: Deeping_white on October 27, 2021, 12:28:20 PM
Rodak is by far the better shot stopper I think, he just seems to have better positioning and reflexes. Gazza is the better sweeper keeper and dsitrubutor, Rodak just seems very slow to come out and he takes about 30 mins to decide what he's going to do with the ball at his feet. On that basis it just comes down to what the manager wants from which keeper on a given day, it's not as clear cut as some people would have you believe on here.
A good observation and summary.

Whitestone

Quote from: Ruislip White on October 27, 2021, 05:17:36 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on October 27, 2021, 12:28:20 PM
A good observation and summary.

Agree. Deeping White has summed up the current goalkeeping situation perfectly.

Woolly Mammoth

It's Rodak as apart from all the reasons already mentioned. He gives the defence more confidence and that makes a big difference.
Gazza right from the first game he looked dodgy and nothing since then has given me any reason to change my mind. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.