watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Question on Positioning of Wilson, Carvalho

Started by WindyCity, November 01, 2021, 04:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindyCity

Assuming Carvalho getting close to full match fitness, I would think most here would agree that Carvalho, Wilson and Mitrovic are the biggest goal scoring threats we have.

I have seen many here comment that Wilson is not as effective playing wide.  So, my question would be where/how would you play the three above mentioned players.  Appreciate the input......

Black, White and Fred

I think we saw the best from him when playing on the right but linking up with Fabio. Think their chemistry is key to getting the most out of Wilson in the RW position
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

WindyCity

Quote from: Black, White and Fred on November 01, 2021, 05:09:34 PM
I think we saw the best from him when playing on the right but linking up with Fabio. Think their chemistry is key to getting the most out of Wilson in the RW position

Thx.

Do you/we think that Wilson and Carvalho are Prem quality, assuming we go up and Carvalho sticks with FFC?

Denver Fulham

Quote from: WindyCity on November 01, 2021, 05:12:59 PM

Thx.

Do you/we think that Wilson and Carvalho are Prem quality, assuming we go up and Carvalho sticks with FFC?

How are we judging "Prem-quality"? Can play and contribute in the league? Yes. Should be starting 35 matches next season? Probably not.

Anyway, (although I have a soft spot for Kebano) I think our best front six is ...

Mitrovic
          BDR  Carvalho  Wilson
                  Reed      Seri

WestSussexWhite

Fabio and Tete coming back should make a huge impact for Wilson. (Who's done very well anyway) Tete coming back for him should free up more space for Wilson as Tete overlaps more than Odoi does

Maidstone Lee

Quote from: Denver Fulham on November 01, 2021, 05:41:55 PM

Thx.

How are we judging "Prem-quality"? Can play and contribute in the league? Yes. Should be starting 35 matches next season? Probably not.

Anyway, (although I have a soft spot for Kebano) I think our best front six is ...

Mitrovic
          BDR  Carvalho  Wilson
                  Reed      Seri

Would be unthinkable to drop Kebano. Would have to be BDR to make way.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

The Rational Fan

Thx.

Mitrovic
          BDR  Carvalho  Wilson
                  Reed      Seri

In previous seasons; Seri, BDR, Sessegnon and Mitrovic have failed at Premier League level. i really wonder why people think Reed, Carvalho and Wilson will suceed at premier league next season.

PaulJ123

BDR should definitely make way for Fab.

He's played ok but not as good as Fab pre injury.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: The Rational Fan on November 02, 2021, 03:37:53 AM

Thx.

Mitrovic
          BDR  Carvalho  Wilson
                  Reed      Seri

In previous seasons; Seri, BDR, Sessegnon and Mitrovic have failed at Premier League level. i really wonder why people think Reed, Carvalho and Wilson will suceed at premier league next season.

BDR was our top goalscorer last year. Had a good season.

Mitrovic was failed by Parker. First full season, 11 goals is a decent return.

Wilson had a decent season with Bournemouth in the Prem. Top goalscorer for them.

Reed was very good last season. We we're luck to keep hold of him IMO.

We've been relegated twice after bringing in too many changes to the squad. Can't hurt giving the current crop a decent go of it.

Jim©

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on November 02, 2021, 08:49:12 AM

Wilson had a decent season with Bournemouth in the Prem. Top goalscorer for them.

We've been relegated twice after bringing in too many changes to the squad. Can't hurt giving the current crop a decent go of it.

BDR is in superb form at the moment- involved in so many of our goals and was once again in 2 of them at the weekend. I'd say that it's for Fabio to work his way back in, not put him in immediately.

I agree that we've made too many changes, too late, to have a settled squad. Players like Seri would IMO get swamped if we chose to play the same way next season- 4-1-4-1 is great against the opposition we currently face, but a disaster waiting to happen if we play the same against the Man C, Chelse*s of this world.

Radiowhite

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on November 01, 2021, 11:13:02 PM

Thx.

Mitrovic
          BDR  Carvalho  Wilson
                  Reed      Seri

Would be unthinkable to drop Kebano. Would have to be BDR to make way.
Kebano can't be dropped on current form, putting in consistently great performances and opposition defenders can't deal with him.

Lordedmundo

Quote from: Jim© on November 02, 2021, 10:06:24 AM

BDR is in superb form at the moment- involved in so many of our goals and was once again in 2 of them at the weekend. I'd say that it's for Fabio to work his way back in, not put him in immediately.

I agree that we've made too many changes, too late, to have a settled squad. Players like Seri would IMO get swamped if we chose to play the same way next season- 4-1-4-1 is great against the opposition we currently face, but a disaster waiting to happen if we play the same against the Man C, Chelse*s of this world.

Agreed. When a team is promoted to the Premier League - it is all about getting the balance right in terms of strenghening the team by bringing in better players, but also retaining as much as possible a settled squad and team. The margins are very fine - we were very close last season I think to staying up, but negative tactics, an out of form Mitro and a key player brought in on loan (RLC) being an utter failure doomed us.  Who knows, if we had got Jesse Lingard or Joe Willock on loan instead of RLC, it may have made all the difference.

Looking at Brentford this season - man for man, they have a weaker first team and squad than we did last season. But, with Ivan Toney they have a strong pacey striker who seems to have easily managed the step up and also a more settled squad (of their summer signings - only 3 are regular starters)  That said - if they lose Toney to injury then I think they will be in trouble...

70sPimlico

Quote from: Lordedmundo on November 02, 2021, 11:12:03 AM
Quote from: Jim© on November 02, 2021, 10:06:24 AM

Agreed. When a team is promoted to the Premier League - it is all about getting the balance right in terms of strenghening the team by bringing in better players, but also retaining as much as possible a settled squad and team. The margins are very fine - we were very close last season I think to staying up, but negative tactics, an out of form Mitro and a key player brought in on loan (RLC) being an utter failure doomed us.  Who knows, if we had got Jesse Lingard or Joe Willock on loan instead of RLC, it may have made all the difference.

Looking at Brentford this season - man for man, they have a weaker first team and squad than we did last season. But, with Ivan Toney they have a strong pacey striker who seems to have easily managed the step up and also a more settled squad (of their summer signings - only 3 are regular starters)  That said - if they lose Toney to injury then I think they will be in trouble...

Playing him and Zambo in positions they are suited for combined with different tactics would have helped

filham

No doublt that so far Carvalho has looked good but he has only played a few matches. Lets just wait a while before we start imagining that he will continue to score goals and become our saviour.
Also before we start building an attack around him he needs to sign a new contract.

WindyCity

Mitrovic
          BDR  Carvalho  Wilson
               Reed      Seri

While I do like this front 6, we still show Wilson out wide on the right.  Again, my impression from forum members was that he was not as effective playing out wide.  Do I understand that his coupling with Carvalho makes this arrangement acceptable?  Just trying to understand the thinking here.  Preesh any input.

When discussing "PREM READY" players, can't it simply be boiled down to this.....Can these players keep FFC in the top 17 in the PL for one season?  Or, for at least two seasons?

bigalffc

Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

WindyCity

Quote from: bigalffc on November 02, 2021, 07:20:53 PM
Easy answer now, Carvalho in the under 23's

My feelings are if fit he should play for big club.  As long as he is liked by his teammates and he is not causing any rift within, he should play.  It can only benefit BOTH the team and the player.  Good performances from him help towards promotion and also can enhance players' value if he moves on next year.