watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Homework for the FFC stats masters; Neil's record vs FFC

Started by copthornemike, November 06, 2021, 07:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copthornemike

A few posts today about Neil Warnock's departure 'by mutual consent' (Boro's offal) or being sacked 'in the morning before the match' (Colin's version in a post match interview).
Marmite he definitely is but you have to admire his longevity (1602 matches apparently), proven success in achieving promotion ability (apparently achieved 8 times) and a few other noticeable records (manager of 14 teams).

So are any of our FFC stats masters willing to take on a difficult challenge!

How many games have Warnock managed teams playing against us, and what is their overall record (Win / Draw / Loss)?

The Rock

I can go off memory! Sheffield '07 we won to stay up. I think Coleman was manager. We had him sussed vs QPR, and I believe Palace as well though I don't remember coming up against him. Cardiff he was a bit of a banana peel and I think we lost, then won, and did well, and that was his best moment. And Boro, he got a result earlier this year.

I used to slag him, but he's done alright. A workingmans hero of you will.

My brain "algos" all I got.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Is he successful though? 1602 and he's won the championship trophy once. Literally his only thing (not including promotion via play off final). I cant stand his style and think he's massively over rated. He needs to retire and won't be missed.

MartyFFC

He's won a record 8 promotions, including 4 to the PL. Deserves some respect surely

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Quote from: MartyFFC on November 06, 2021, 11:33:29 PM
He's won a record 8 promotions, including 4 to the PL. Deserves some respect surely

Parker already has one. I wouldnt class Warnock a success to be honest.

Motspur Park

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on November 07, 2021, 07:33:35 AM

I can't stand the bloke and detest his football, but he has never been at clubs with big budgets and he has often competed against and beaten off other teams with much greater resources. As much as I don't like him, respect is deserved and I agree that he has had a largely successful career.

General

So do a lot of managers.. that's not the point. It's who has managed to do it time and again, who has a formula they know works, or more than that, who is constantly passionate enough to reinvent themselves to the times needs (different managers, teams, playing styles etc) to get his teams to be passionate enough and to overcome all the variables EIGHT times..

He doesn't beat around the Bush as a man, and sometimes that doesn't go down well (with people in generally), but I've always respected him, he's been Mr consistent in many ways at this level over a long long time and every now and then does well I'm the premiership and with clubs without big budgets. Had we not been a london club with a decent budget he would have almost definitely been a manager for us at some point.

We're making a lot of the 1600 matches he's managed, but he's parted ways.. not sure he's done yet.

Southdowns White

These days, You need to have the right face the right accent to fit in with a big club and get the budget to match. Some managers seem to move in higher circles, despite being no better than those at the smaller clubs. Like Roy doing well with us and then getting no respect at Liverpool, Colin is another one who just does not have the face and respect at a bigger club. Look at Parker, he's only got to put a cream Jacket on, comb his hair and he's spoken about in the press as nailed on for greatness.

Twig

So what is success by your standards, ten, twelve, twenty promotions? Just curious. Fwiw I reckon he's been pretty successful, especially on his tightish budgets.

Finnans Right Peg

I thought he was fairly successful, i wouldn't have wanted him to manage Fulham but the 2 things I liked about him were that he was always honest in an interview and always got his players playing for him while getting the very best from them ,to me thats a successful manager and had Parker done that last season we would be in a different league

Motspur Park

I have seen a lot of comments about his honesty. Passionate - always. Honest - not all the time. We beat Cardiff in an early cup game some years ago and he said that we (Fulham) are so boring that the supporters and team couldn't be bothered about the game and he had struggled himself(or words to that effect). Not what I would call honest comments and excuses for getting beat.....notwithstanding the fact I have already said he deserves respect for what he has achieved.

mrmicawbers

Nasty win at all costs manager who told his players to hurt opposing fellow professionals.Hope the old dinosaur has finished for the good of the game.

Ruislip White

Given the span of his career, it's probably fair to say he was decent in certain eras but as the game has progressed, he's become less relevant- as with many old school managers.

I remember having seats right behind the dugout for Fulham v Cardiff a few years ago.  Have never seen such an animated manager.  He was going nuts every 30 seconds.  Passionate and a proper football man for sure, regardless of his style of football.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Quote from: Twig on November 07, 2021, 09:20:13 AM

So what is success by your standards, ten, twelve, twenty promotions? Just curious. Fwiw I reckon he's been pretty successful, especially on his tightish budgets.

I'm not saying promotion is easy, but that's all he's "won". He's obviously found the knack of kick and run football is the way to be a success in the bottom leagues. Put him at a big club and he wouldn't have lasted that long.
Alladyce and pardew are the same. Constantly getting jobs when there are up and coming younger blokes waiting for their chance. Hopefully he retires and that style of football goes with him.

MartyFFC

Yeah I think it's fair to say he can be quite obnoxious at times; I can still recall the nonsense he was coming out with when we were competing with Cardiff for second place under Slav. However more often than not he does seem to improve the fortunes of wherever he goes, albeit his brand of football is not exactly one for the purists. It does feel like the end of an era for the old-school British manager with Bruce, McCarthy and Warnock all sacked recently - and with Fat Sam and Pulis still out of work. It's like night and day when you compare them with the new wave of British managers such as Howe, Potter, Rodgers and dare I say it even Parker etc

AJW48361

Ludlow Richard

Warnock has managed eight clubs in games against Fulham (Notts County, Huddersfield, Plymouth, Oldham, Sheffield United, QPR, Cardiff and Middlesbrough).

Our record against Warnock Managed Teams is P26 W10 D7 L9 GF42 GA 36. You will be delighted to know that our goal difference of +6 is accounted for solely by our 6-0 demolition of Warnock's QPR on 2 October 2011.

bencher

Quote from: Ludlow Richard on November 08, 2021, 01:59:21 PM
Warnock has managed eight clubs in games against Fulham (Notts County, Huddersfield, Plymouth, Oldham, Sheffield United, QPR, Cardiff and Middlesbrough).

Our record against Warnock Managed Teams is P26 W10 D7 L9 GF42 GA 36. You will be delighted to know that our goal difference of +6 is accounted for solely by our 6-0 demolition of Warnock's QPR on 2 October 2011.

Thank you Richard and thank you Pog!

Ludlow Richard

Quote from: bencher on November 08, 2021, 02:17:05 PM
Quote from: Ludlow Richard on November 08, 2021, 01:59:21 PM

Thank you Richard and thank you Pog!

It was Andy Johnson who got the hattrick that day, with Murphy, Dempsey and Zamora getting the others.

copthornemike

Thanks Richard, excellent stats sleuthing.
So overall FFC just about edged over Mr.Warnock, just.
Just to finish I know someone who has worked very closely for many years and said outside of football he is a very nice and generous man - totally different to his 'on duty' football image. Not an uncommon trait for a number of high profile managers mind you - the likes of Sir Alex, Graham Souness & Arsene are also good characters outside of football!