more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Nostalgia nfr.

Started by blingo, November 17, 2021, 06:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburywhite

What about the tiger tails from Esso when you put a tiger in your tank
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

ron

Does anyone remember Rossi's Ice Cream Parlour in Lampton Road, Hounslow? A beautiful Art Deco facade with chrome lettering, and the most enticing and intense aroma of vanilla coming from it... I believe run by Francis Rossi's (of Status Quo fame) family.
.....I'm in full nostalgia mode now....

HV71

I  remember the Co-op when your money was placed in a container that whizzed away & returned with your change.

What ŵonderful machines they were - compressed air I think. Our local co-op in Mansfield had one - all in brass I seem to remember

blingo

The lanson tube, if I recall correctly Barbers had one too.

keithh

I remember ink wells.

Teachers getting younger in the 50s.

Getting a scout badge for learning how to use a telephone (those buttons!) in the local telephone box.

Dad buying a TV for the Winter Olympics - followed closely by the coronation (and being squeezed out by the neighbors).

Saving the 1946 & 1949 thruppenny bits as we were told they were rare.

Being able to buy confectionary with a farthing.

Large bag of chips for tuppence.

Fulham Tup North

I do remember getting a silver coin in a little blue packet from the garage for the 1974 World Cup.... the coins were for each team Competing. You also got a big double album with slots in to push the coins into.....
That, cards in a box of PG Tips and plastic figures in the bottom of a box of Cornflakes 👍👍🤗
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

bobby01

The little blue packets of salt in your plain crisps.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Mr White

Quote from: Beamer on November 18, 2021, 02:56:23 PM
Quote from: blingo on November 18, 2021, 11:45:16 AM
Quote from: HV71 on November 18, 2021, 09:11:11 AM
Quote from: Twig on November 17, 2021, 11:43:28 PM
Green Shield stamps...Happy hours spent gluing them into my Mum's stamp albums. And all for? Not a lot..

You are so right - so many books for a very small reward . I used to get quite excited though putting the stamps in and working out what we could get.

On a side note does anyone remember their Co- op divi number - ?
I do . Mum would send me to get a few things and you had to give your number -

I remember we had one, but can't recall using it very often Mr HV but Sainsburys was my mums choice of supermarket in North End Road. I remeber being in awe of the marble counters and the assistants in sharp starched white aprons. But the highlight for me was the ice-cream in Dinos across the road 👍
Often sent down to the Co-op in Wandsworth Bridge Road by the old Star Cinema by my Mum. 025641, funny how some things stick in the brain forever.

I grew up in Tooting,i was sent up to the Co-op by mum too, opposite the Mayfair cinema .. she used nag me if i forgot to get the tokens...and i never did see those
premium bonds mum was saving for me??

grandad

When Green Shield stopped the stamp issue, the petrol station I owned had hundreds of rolls of stamps & thousands of books. My daughters were given the job of sticking them in books. Goodness knows how many we ended up with but we managed to redeem them for TV´s, stereos, jewelry, tools, toasters & virtually every other electrical gadget in the catalogue. We donated loads of stuff for their school Xmas Bran Tub.
Where there's a will there's a wife

blingo

Here's one to get you going SATURDAY MORNING PICTURES. We had the ABC at the beginning of North End Road and the Odeon Walham Green which became the bingo hall. Ready?

We are the boys and girls well known as,
Minors of the A B C
And every Saturday all line up
To see the films we like and shout aloud with glee
We love to laugh and have our sing song
Such a happy crowd are weeeeee
We're all pals together
We're minors of the A B C

Hahahahaha so many memories

grandad

Quote from: blingo on November 19, 2021, 12:26:38 PM
Here's one to get you going SATURDAY MORNING PICTURES. We had the ABC at the beginning of North End Road and the Odeon Walham Green which became the bingo hall. Ready?

We are the boys and girls well known as,
Minors of the A B C
And every Saturday all line up
To see the films we like and shout aloud with glee
We love to laugh and have our sing song
Such a happy crowd are weeeeee
We're all pals together
We're minors of the A B C

Hahahahaha so many memories

I went to the one at the Plaza , Southfields. 1Shilling pocket money, 6d for cinema, 3d sweets, only when rationing ceased & 3d piggy bank. I will never forget the owner saying when there was a delay " If you don´t all shut up, I´ll switch off the laaaaast pitcher."

ALG01

Quote from: ron on November 18, 2021, 05:41:42 PM
Does anyone remember Rossi's Ice Cream Parlour in Lampton Road, Hounslow? A beautiful Art Deco facade with chrome lettering, and the most enticing and intense aroma of vanilla coming from it... I believe run by Francis Rossi's (of Status Quo fame) family.
.....I'm in full nostalgia mode now....

or Leo's in Mitcham which had brilliant ice cream
and Regent in sutton high street where the ice cream, vanilla only, was out of this world.

ALG01

another bit of nostalgia...when you filled up your car a man or woman would fill it for you and check your tyres, oil and water

and what about a ticket seller on the bus

and buses withan open platfor that would never pass health and safety today

and an usherette in the cinema selling ice cream at the intermission and/or between films

and going to the cinema and missing the beggining so staying in to watch the begining after you had seen the end

and also wearing a football scarf that my sister and then aunty knitted for me rather than purchase one

or driving at over 100mph on french motorways

and jamboree bags in which i didn't like most bits but wanted the toy

or bazooka joe bubble gum

walnut whip

St Eve

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on November 18, 2021, 09:12:28 PM
I do remember getting a silver coin in a little blue packet from the garage for the 1974 World Cup.... the coins were for each team Competing. You also got a big double album with slots in to push the coins into.....
That, cards in a box of PG Tips and plastic figures in the bottom of a box of Cornflakes 👍👍🤗
ha ha. I still have the full set of coins

john dempsey

A clip round the ear from a Teacher.

blingo

Lighthouse

Quote from: john dempsey on November 19, 2021, 04:01:07 PM
A clip round the ear from a Teacher.

Caning,slapping your open hand with a ruler which was far more painful than the cane.

A teacher held the feet of a kid and swung him over the hand rails between floors threatening to drop him. Those were the days.                                                               
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Holders

Teachers throwing board rubbers and bibles and hitting boys over the head with Latin textbooks.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

grandad

The old phone boxes you could use for free by tapping the number using the cradle. Getting a bag of crackling for free fromthe chippy. Playing cut the circle with our pen knives. Yes we all carried them.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: St Eve on November 19, 2021, 01:33:05 PM
Quote from: Fulham Tup North on November 18, 2021, 09:12:28 PM
ha ha. I still have the full set of coins
They should be worth a couple of quid now!!   I never knew anyone who colleted the full set. Good effort!!
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"