blingo

I can still taste the glue off of the green shield stamps

HV71

Used to prefer the plastic daf given free with Daz

bobbo

As long as you're not sniffing it blingo
1975 just leaving home full of hope

filham

The free drinking glasses given with petrol lasted longer, think I still have a couple.

blingo

Quote from: bobbo on November 17, 2021, 09:11:49 PM
As long as you're not sniffing it blingo

I probably got the same effect licking them Mr Bobbo😂😂😂

Twig

Green Shield stamps...Happy hours spent gluing them into my Mum's stamp albums. And all for? Not a lot..

HV71

Quote from: Twig on November 17, 2021, 11:43:28 PM
Green Shield stamps...Happy hours spent gluing them into my Mum's stamp albums. And all for? Not a lot..

You are so right - so many books for a very small reward . I used to get quite excited though putting the stamps in and working out what we could get.

On a side note does anyone remember their Co- op divi number - ?
I do . Mum would send me to get a few things and you had to give your number -

bog

Aged about 10 I recall counting up the Kensitas certificates for gifts for my Mother's fancy.  :doh: Put me right off smoking that did.....fortunately.  :dft011:

092.gif

Somerset Fulham

Collecting my grandads 'gift card vouchers' from his packets of Embassy Number 1 cigarettes.

keith

Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre had a Green Shield Stamp place. My Mum bought a Tea Set in there. Thanks for the memory.

ron

Quote from: keith on November 18, 2021, 10:22:45 AM
Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre had a Green Shield Stamp place. My Mum bought a Tea Set in there. Thanks for the memory.

There was a "Green Shield Redemption Centre" next to Hounslow bus garage as well.......and come to think of it, the Hounslow Steak House next to that....for an excellent T-bone steak and trimmings!
Ah, sweet memories!

keith

Quote from: ron on November 18, 2021, 10:35:48 AM
Quote from: keith on November 18, 2021, 10:22:45 AM

There was a "Green Shield Redemption Centre" next to Hounslow bus garage as well.......and come to think of it, the Hounslow Steak House next to that....for an excellent T-bone steak and trimmings!
Ah, sweet memories!
Actually, on the first floor in the Centre, there was the " Castle Tandoori" that faced onto the New Kent Road. Lovely Vindaloo in there !!.

blingo

Now you've made me hungry.......Cyprianas in Battersea used to serve a T Bone that overlapped the plate and the veg had to be served separately.  They would also cut your tie off if you had one on and fix it to the ceiling lol. Boy was that a juicy steak.

keith

Quote from: blingo on November 18, 2021, 10:56:17 AM
Now you've made me hungry.......Cyprianas in Battersea used to serve a T Bone that overlapped the plate and the veg had to be served separately.  They would also cut your tie off if you had one on and fix it to the ceiling lol. Boy was that a juicy steak.
The Castle Tandoori used to make us feel energetic,  'cos once we'd finished our meals we used to run out of the door very quickly. I remember, whilst speeding towards the Walworth Road, one of the Boys said. " Shouldn't we have called for the Bill ?". I said. " I think you'll find that the Manager's already done that".

blingo

Quote from: HV71 on November 18, 2021, 09:11:11 AM

You are so right - so many books for a very small reward . I used to get quite excited though putting the stamps in and working out what we could get.

I remember we had one, but can't recall using it very often Mr HV but Sainsburys was my mums choice of supermarket in North End Road. I remeber being in awe of the marble counters and the assistants in sharp starched white aprons. But the highlight for me was the ice-cream in Dinos across the road 👍

Holders

Ah, proper Sainsburys! If you wanted anything you had to ask for it and, if it was cereal for example, they'd need to get the steps to get a box down off the top shelf for you. No impulse-buying then!.  I remember seeing one in West Worthing as late as the mid-1970s and wondered how it had survived until then. I bet it's gone now though.

As for Green Shield Stamps, it seems to me that many of the "redemption centres" became Argos outlets and I wonder if the holding company just changed the way they did business as in other ways they're quite similar in how they operate.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

Every day used to be an adventure. Putting in Green Shield stamps in the book and working out what treasures were available. Going to petrol stations and getting free stockers or medals or hats etc. Everybody was willing to give you stuff. The barbers would give you sweet cigarettes if you had been good. You could buy the small war comics without fear that you would be stopped as the weren't 'age appropriate. You could buy chewing gum and bubble gum only for the free cards inside. Pocket money meant you could afford sweets on a Friday to last all weekend only for them to run out by the time you got home.

Nostalgia plays tricks on you but they were nevertheless good times. Better times?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Beamer

Quote from: blingo on November 18, 2021, 11:45:16 AM
Quote from: HV71 on November 18, 2021, 09:11:11 AM

I remember we had one, but can't recall using it very often Mr HV but Sainsburys was my mums choice of supermarket in North End Road. I remeber being in awe of the marble counters and the assistants in sharp starched white aprons. But the highlight for me was the ice-cream in Dinos across the road 👍
Often sent down to the Co-op in Wandsworth Bridge Road by the old Star Cinema by my Mum. 025641, funny how some things stick in the brain forever.

Mince n Tatties

Yes going to Co-op for mum.
When you went in our one,one side you bought tinned stuff and soap powders and so on.
Then you had to go other side of shop for cheese,ham butter and so.
Served with a smile😁...69642 was our number,sister and mines school clothes bought with the Divi.

keithh

There was a green shield redemption shop in Ilford.

I remember the Co-op when your money was placed in a container that whizzed away & returned with your change.

I remember those biscuit tins where you bought "broken" biscuits & felt jubilant when you got a whole one in your bag.

I remember when prices did not go up as I used to go to the "new" supermarket with a hand written list list & beside the item was a price - the total was at the bottom & I remember being marched back down to the shop by mum when the owner asked for an extra halfpenny as County sausages had increased their price!