more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Nostalgia nfr.

Started by blingo, November 17, 2021, 06:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Quote from: grandad on November 19, 2021, 12:02:14 PM
When Green Shield stopped the stamp issue, the petrol station I owned had hundreds of rolls of stamps & thousands of books. My daughters were given the job of sticking them in books. Goodness knows how many we ended up with but we managed to redeem them for TV´s, stereos, jewelry, tools, toasters & virtually every other electrical gadget in the catalogue. We donated loads of stuff for their school Xmas Bran Tub.

Brilliant, you should write a screen play of this, Ron Howard would pay big money for the rights.

ron

How about going to the Cottage by trolleybus? 657 from Hounslow or 607 from Hayes to change at Shepherds Bush on to the 626 or 628.....

Routemasters never quite matched the trolleybus experience.

Andy S

My mums Co-op no 1130763 and my dads phone no at work Shepherds Bush 5577 ext 117 . From 1973  my wife and I collected knives forks and spoons from the petrol station. We had a full set when we got married and we still use them today

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: ALG01 on November 19, 2021, 01:27:36 PM
another bit of nostalgia...when you filled up your car a man or woman would fill it for you and check your tyres, oil and water

and what about a ticket seller on the bus

and buses withan open platfor that would never pass health and safety today

and an usherette in the cinema selling ice cream at the intermission and/or between films

and going to the cinema and missing the beggining so staying in to watch the begining after you had seen the end

and also wearing a football scarf that my sister and then aunty knitted for me rather than purchase one

or driving at over 100mph on french motorways

and jamboree bags in which i didn't like most bits but wanted the toy

or bazooka joe bubble gum

walnut whip

In the late 60's-early 70's there was a great character, Tony Whitehouse who lived down my street in Feltham and was a bus conductor
on the 117 from Hounslow to Staines although some went to Egham.
He used to sing to the passenger.
example    A passenger getting on the bus at Feltham Station asking how much was a ticket to Egham Station
Tony would sing..
"Egham station is one and sixpence from Feltham Station on the 117" (To the tune of Finchley Central)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Mr White

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 19, 2021, 07:20:27 PM
Quote from: john dempsey on November 19, 2021, 04:01:07 PM
A clip round the ear from a Teacher.

Caning,slapping your open hand with a ruler which was far more painful than the cane.

A teacher held the feet of a kid and swung him over the hand rails between floors threatening to drop him. Those were the days.                             

I remember a kid in our class had his pecker out and was drawing a face on the end of it
Teacher said put that away Bevis and hit it with her ruler                                 

SG

Quote from: ron on November 19, 2021, 11:36:55 PM
How about going to the Cottage by trolleybus? 657 from Hounslow or 607 from Hayes to change at Shepherds Bush on to the 626 or 628.....

The 64 from Tooting Broadway, great until the whatever it was called came off of the overhead lines

SG

Quote from: grandad on November 19, 2021, 12:45:29 PM
Quote from: blingo on November 19, 2021, 12:26:38 PM
Here's one to get you going SATURDAY MORNING PICTURES. We had the ABC at the beginning of North End Road and the Odeon Walham Green which became the bingo hall. Ready?

We are the boys and girls well known as,
Minors of the A B C
And every Saturday all line up
To see the films we like and shout aloud with glee
We love to laugh and have our sing song
Such a happy crowd are weeeeee
We're all pals together
We're minors of the A B C

Hahahahaha so many memories

I went to the one at the Plaza , Southfields. 1Shilling pocket money, 6d for cinema, 3d sweets, only when rationing ceased & 3d piggy bank. I will never forget the owner saying when there was a delay " If you don´t all shut up, I´ll switch off the laaaaast pitcher."

Used to go to Odeon in Morden opposite the tube station. I seem to remember it had an organ at the front but maybe that's the memory playing tricks

SG

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 19, 2021, 07:20:27 PM
Quote from: john dempsey on November 19, 2021, 04:01:07 PM
A clip round the ear from a Teacher.

Caning,slapping your open hand with a ruler which was far more painful than the cane.

A teacher held the feet of a kid and swung him over the hand rails between floors threatening to drop him. Those were the days.                                                               

Our primary school teacher used to pull us up by our sideburns not that they were that long. God it used to hurt by the time you were on tip toes and he was still pulling you up. Then he'd finish you off with the ruler across the knuckles

Teddymaybank

Don't forget a cup of Bovril at half time........

Holders

Quote from: SG on November 20, 2021, 08:23:13 AM

The 64 from Tooting Broadway, great until the whatever it was called came off of the overhead lines

"Trolley"!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

LittleErn

Quote from: grandad on November 19, 2021, 09:08:12 PM
The old phone boxes you could use for free by tapping the number using the cradle. Getting a bag of crackling for free fromthe chippy. Playing cut the circle with our pen knives. Yes we all carried them.

Phone tapping! How did you learn that trick? Did you work for the old GPO?

LittleErn

Quote from: blingo on November 18, 2021, 11:45:16 AM
Quote from: HV71 on November 18, 2021, 09:11:11 AM
Quote from: Twig on November 17, 2021, 11:43:28 PM
Green Shield stamps...Happy hours spent gluing them into my Mum's stamp albums. And all for? Not a lot..

You are so right - so many books for a very small reward . I used to get quite excited though putting the stamps in and working out what we could get.

On a side note does anyone remember their Co- op divi number - ?
I do . Mum would send me to get a few things and you had to give your number -

I remember we had one, but can't recall using it very often Mr HV but Sainsburys was my mums choice of supermarket in North End Road. I remeber being in awe of the marble counters and the assistants in sharp starched white aprons. But the highlight for me was the ice-cream in Dinos across the road 👍

I seem to remember a Sainsburys like that on Fulham Palace road.

LittleErn

Don't forget the 655.

grandad

I had a choice. A 2d single on the single decker bus 200 to school at Ridgeways or buy a 2d fag from the station newsagent & walk up Wimbledon Hill.
Where there's a will there's a wife

grandad

Quote from: LittleErn on November 20, 2021, 01:12:48 PM
The old phone boxes you could use for free by tapping the number using the cradle. Getting a bag of crackling for free fromthe chippy. Playing cut the circle with our pen knives. Yes we all carried them.

Everyone at school knew how to do it. Probably someones old man worked for the GPO.
Where there's a will there's a wife

SG

Quote from: grandad on November 20, 2021, 01:55:06 PM
Quote from: LittleErn on November 20, 2021, 01:12:48 PM

We used to stick paper up the coin return slot so it didn't come out when button was pressed. Made a few Bob that way when we removed paper

Everyone at school knew how to do it. Probably someones old man worked for the GPO.

blingo