watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

23 years since we signed Barry Hayles

Started by paulbrookersmazydribbles, November 18, 2021, 05:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulbrookersmazydribbles

He might have had a slow start (and I remember plenty of people questioning the wisdom of paying Bristol Rovers £2m for him), but what a player he turned out to be for us. Ran through brick walls and scored at every level.

filham

I was one of those who early on thought we had been stung by Bristol Rovers but pleased to say I was proved so wrong.
He turned out to be a real Cottage favourite.

Twig

Harry Bales, a real Mr 110%. Everyone loved him.

Willham

Isnt he still playing? Or at least was up until 1 or 2 years ago for a team in the lower leagues??

Somerset Fulham

I saw this today and was surprised at his goals per games ratio - something like one in four.

I would never have thought it that high.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Ludlow Richard

He turned out to be a great buy for us. Scored goals in the Premier League. And don't you remember the commentary from our first PL home game v Sunderland where Bazza scored the first goal in our 2-0 win: the commentator said something like "and that's the goal Craven Cottage has waited 34 years to see". For that alone Barry Hayles is a true legend.

Wolf

Pre Premier League this was the signing that really excited me. I'd seen him play and score for Bristol Rovers and Stevenage Borough. Took a little time to settle but great spirit to him.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

RaySmith

blingo

mrmicawbers

Great lad as well,pops in the Fox in Putney now and again.

bog

Quote from: Willham on November 18, 2021, 09:07:48 PM
Isnt he still playing? Or at least was up until 1 or 2 years ago for a team in the lower leagues??

Yes I think he is still playing non league somewhere. I was at a game at Charlton a few seasons back (0-2 ten mins to go and drew 2-2 and nearly threw it away at the end). Midway through the second half the chant 'Bar-ry Bar-ry' started and spread as he was sat with the away fans. Great memories Barry.   :54: 

092.gif

General

Quote from: Twig on November 18, 2021, 07:47:32 PM
Harry Bales, a real Mr 110%. Everyone loved him.

Agreed - was a real fans favourite at the time and I still have fond memories of the guy as a player and man, a gentle natured guy who gave his all and scored some important goals. As others have mentioned he clearly simply just loved playing the game, playing well into his 40's and long after playing for us. In fact, having just googled him, his wikipedia page says he's still playing at 49 for Merstham! Says a lot about the man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Hayles

Would be great to see the club's media team do a sit down conversation with him about his career and life in the game, fulham and since.

AJW48361

First few games (what have we done) turn it around big time after could sometimes be unplayable.

Cambridge Pete

Loved Him. Remember a TV interview where he had the interviewer believing that Mr Al Fayed gave players a gold bar if they won. Asked what he did with his he replied "well I eat it of course"  A few years back we were having a Central Heating service and the engineer commented on the Fulham books in the bookcase. He had played with Lord Barrington in non league and told a lovely storey of an FA cup match. The were losing 2:0 with ten minutes to go. Barry refused to give up and scored a fantastic (his words) solo goal and raised all the other players. In the last minute he laid on an equaliser. He continued that spirit with us. Loved him

bobbo

Quote from: filham on November 18, 2021, 06:23:19 PM
I was one of those who early on thought we had been stung by Bristol Rovers but pleased to say I was proved so wrong.
He turned out to be a real Cottage favourite.
Me too.
1975 just leaving home full of hope