News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR. Has anyone seen Robbie Savage Saving Macclesfield?

Started by Motspur Park, December 02, 2021, 09:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motspur Park

Overall, I feel it was a good watch and is on BBC iPlayer.

Of course, Savage probably doesn't divide opinion. I think probably almost everybody will dislike him but put aside the prejudices and consider what he is doing. He is not as far as I am aware ploughing any money into the venture but he is giving it a great deal if support and time.

The new regime took over a shambles of a club and started again at the bottom of the football pyramid. It is fair to say from the documentary that none of them really had a clue what they were getting into and the task was mammoth. They are still at the beginning of this journey but fair play to them.

Mac have a loyal following and I saw them at Forest Green a few seasons ago. They are currently big fish in a small pond but like AFC, they are beginning the endeavours to get back into the football league.

What I admired most about Savage was the recognition the players had to step up and not to allow them to be a waste of the new owner's money.

I was also highly impressed by him intervening in a ruck with their local rivals trying to stop nonsensical violence and his empathy with the groundsman.

At the end of it, you still will probably dislike Savage but you have to give him credit for doing what he is doing. Well, I do anyway.

f321ffc

Not seen it ,but I did meet him in Barbados a couple of years ago and I can confirm he is a really nice bloke.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

SuffolkWhite

Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

I'm one of the unicorns that thought he was actually quite a useful player. Only got sent off once in his career I believe and had a decent free kick in his arsenal. Absolute bellend on the pitch though and would often try and wind people up to get them sent off.

I Ronic

I'd agree with Rufus. Thought he gave 100% for his team whether that was playing football or winding up the opposition and the opposition fans.

f321ffc

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on December 02, 2021, 10:21:52 AM
I'm one of the unicorns that thought he was actually quite a useful player. Only got sent off once in his career I believe and had a decent free kick in his arsenal. Absolute bellend on the pitch though and would often try and wind people up to get them sent off.
Was talking to some Brum fans after a game he played for them in against us, one of them said he's the sort of player you hate as opposition but absolutely love in your team, and I thought yes very true.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Motspur Park

I started with the caveat about Savage because, if I hadn't, I think there would have been several posts going off topic about how much they hate him. He does what he does for a reason I.e. on tv it is to keep being controversial and relevant. However, given what he is doing for that football club, I cannot fault his efforts.

SP

Really enjoyed the programme.  Lovely bar they've set-up there.

Whitestone

The documentary was supposed to be about Macclesfield but it was overshadowed by Savage who dominated. I enjoyed it nonetheless but could have done without Savage's overbearing presence throughout, after all it was supposed to be about Macclesfield and those involved in the reemergence of a football club. We did get to see the new investor who brought his friend Savage to the club but not enough of the fans and others involved in the project.

MartyFFC

I watch Savage on BT Sport and have never quite understood the default position people seem to take of hating him. Perhaps it goes back to his playing days; he was as mouthy as he was dirty however as a pundit, he seems ok to me