watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Stand ups

Started by RufusBrevettatemyhamster, January 13, 2022, 10:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

I've been watching Live at the Apollo and wondered, are there any actually good stand ups any more? And without sounding sexist, are there any good women stand ups?
It seems to be, gone are the days of them playing gigs across the country, honing their skills and they just get on TV straight away if they tick a box or two.
Peter Kaye, Lee Evans, Steve Coogan from about 10 years ago and more, are far, far, far better than any thing nowadays.

Or am I wrong?

HobGoblin

No you are not wrong, the modern lot are same jokes, same format, boring tv shows, boring comedians

blingo

None of them hold a candle to the likes of Tommy Cooper, Dave Allen, Dick Emery, Les Dawson or Bernard Manning.

Cambridge Away

Stewart Lee
Bill Burr
Doug Stanhope
Alex Horne
Ricky Gervais
Dave Chapelle

Whitney Cummings
Nikki Glazer
Katherine Ryan

There's loads

Lighthouse

The last one I enjoyed going to see was Jasper Carrot. As far as Women comedians. I always enjoyed Nina Conti and her Ventriloquist act. I am sure there must be a lot of good modern stand ups but I must admit I wouldn't pay to see any of them at the moment. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Twig

Quote from: blingo on January 13, 2022, 10:42:55 PM
None of them hold a candle to the likes of Tommy Cooper, Dave Allen, Dick Emery, Les Dawson or Bernard Manning.

Can't quite agree with you there Blingo. Tommy Cooper was great to camera, Dave Allen a brilliant story teller. Les Dawson? seriously? None however were brilliant stand ups.

To the OP's list I would definitely add; early Ben Elton (so sarcastic it hurt), Billy Connolly (superb observation of life), Michael McIntyre (just makes you chuckle), Frankie Boyle (rude but very funny) and whether you like him or not Ricky Gervais undoubtedly has a great comedic mind. Slightly more up to date; Stewart Lee, Nick Helm, Josie Long. Comedy isn't dead, never has been. You just need to get out and look.

Woolly Mammoth

Completely agree, most of the so called  new stand ups cannot even stand up and rely on profane language to try and raise a laugh from the parrots.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Terry Towling

I find that many of the POC comedians seem to rely on sexual content which is disappointing. My wife and I watched Frankie Boyle's 2021 year review on his comedy show and the only really funny, clever one apart from him was Miles Jupp. I wanted to like the other three but it was rather crude, which may attarct the younger audience but left us pretty cold. Frankie Boyle is near to the bone but is clever, whilst some comedians really on the sort of stuff 1970s blue comedians relied on which I have never found amusing to any great extent. Stewert Lee shows how to do "woke" in a clever funny and non hectoring way which is great.

H4usuallysitting

Are you out...or out, out

Mr K.Dilkington

Norm MacDonald R.I.P....so funny...a true great.
His old fashioned joke delivery will never not be funny to me👍
Foolish ham

HV71

Went to see Ross Noble just before Christmas - he was very good

Jim©

Micky Flanagan and Kevin bridges are both excellent Live.

Stevieboy

Saw John Bishop a couple of years ago and he was hilarious without having to resort to profanities or insults.

Wolf

Last two stand-ups I saw were Stewart Lee and Tim Vine. Different ends of the spectrum but both very good at what they do.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

filham

Agree and there were many more
The word was if you went to see Ken Dodd on stage  check on the time of the last train because the show always ran late with the audience asking for more and more from Doddy.

Jurassic Parker

Stewart Lee!

Though I did see him at Leicester Square recently and he looked fat and depressed, like Morrisey had let hinself go

ALG01

Most stand ups are very poor, unimaginative and work to third rate formula IMO.

We did see Dara a year or two back and he was brilliant. And we saw ben elton a year or two back and he remains as sharp as ever. But there are very few I want to see because they are quite so ordinary.

I saw paul sinner from the chase do after dinner, and he was hysteriical.

Dodgin

Well here's a funny thing having seen the likes of Tommy Cooper and Max Miller live in Variety. leaving you with gut wrenching laughter. Have never really got into comedians after that generation of funny men and women. Lee Mack in Not Going Out is pretty good. "Here's a Funny Thing" was Max Miller's catchphrase

jarv

Billy Connolly. Saw him live in Boston about 10 years ago. Laughed so hard my stomach ached for 2 days. It was a small theatre (about 500 people I guess) and from what I could hear, almost all brits in the audience.

john dempsey

There are quite a few Referees who SHOULD be on the comedy circuit.