watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham's supporters and support.

Started by Southdowns White, January 19, 2022, 09:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

Here in the States at MLS matches most of the teams have an "ultra-fan" section usually located behind one of the goals.  There is no designated standing section, but large portions of the fans stand the whole time.  Most of those fans will sit down or switch seats though to accommodate fans who do not stand and can't see the pitch.  My local MLS team has 5 different fan groups.  The one I am familiar with but do not belong to is called the Footie Mob.  You see them in the home supporter's area singing, bouncing, and clapping nonstop for the entire match.  I have taken friends from England and Europe, and they are amazed at the atmosphere during these matches. 

Even with all that nonstop bouncing and craziness, you never see anyone hurting by other fans with so called "limbs".  Personally, I don't like sitting in the home supporter's area as I can't stand for that whole time, and I can't see what is happening on the pitch half the time.  However, I think it's brilliant and love seeing the support the fans give players.   

Not sure I have seen anything like this in any of my visits to the cottage  :023: 

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

RoyTund

My short response is the allegations just don't match the facts. Our home attendances are more than decent and average noticably more than the mini man united, QPR. The only defense is apparently it's all tourists a truly bizarre statement.

RaySmith

Success on the pitch, particularly being in the Prem, will attract crowds of all ages, and ethnicities, as can be seen by looking at Fulham's fortunes over the years.

That will attract crowds more than any other intervention, though it probably  helps re women and other groups, that Fulham has a reputation as a safe place to watch football, and the club is probably right to pursue its policy of promoting the 'family club' aspect of Fulham.

Many traditional, and even new young, fans have found football beyond their means in recent times - when I was young it was a cheap entertainment for, mainly, working -class men, and now it has definitely become more middle-class, and many are excluded through financial reasons.

Though, going to away games, you can still feel a bit like you're treated as 'scum', and acting like traditional football fans, ie being a bit  drunk and loud - with singing, chants etc., rather than commiting criminal damage or assault, is sort of frowned on, and closely monitored, though these fans create the atmosphere.

But it's like all  aspects of gentrification - has good and bad points.

Good points might be - more women feel comfortable to go to a game, better selection of food and drink, better facilities - well, they used to be a lot worse! less violence - but is this coming back to an extent?

Negative aspects might be - poorer atmosphere, fans more like a hyper-critical audience of a film or play, rather than passionate fans, supporting the club through thick and thin, less fan support for each other because they're 'one of our own' and more conflict between fans of the same club.

Noticeable, that clubs with the most old style fans, creating a passionate atmosphere that can really help their teams get results, are in working-class areas, like Palace, in London - where long term  residents of these areas are themselves under threat from gentrification.

Mr K.Dilkington

Quote from: love4ffc on January 20, 2022, 06:43:04 PM
Here in the States at MLS matches most of the teams have an "ultra-fan" section usually located behind one of the goals.  There is no designated standing section, but large portions of the fans stand the whole time.  Most of those fans will sit down or switch seats though to accommodate fans who do not stand and can't see the pitch.  My local MLS team has 5 different fan groups.  The one I am familiar with but do not belong to is called the Footie Mob.  You see them in the home supporter's area singing, bouncing, and clapping nonstop for the entire match.  I have taken friends from England and Europe, and they are amazed at the atmosphere during these matches. 

Even with all that nonstop bouncing and craziness, you never see anyone hurting by other fans with so called "limbs".  Personally, I don't like sitting in the home supporter's area as I can't stand for that whole time, and I can't see what is happening on the pitch half the time.  However, I think it's brilliant and love seeing the support the fans give players.   

Not sure I have seen anything like this in any of my visits to the cottage  :023: 

American ultra culture is just copied from European culture so don't be coming here pretending the americucks invented it😂 teehee  (JK)
Foolish ham

Hugh Gentry

Having lived in the US and having attended many MLS games, this is orchestrated nonsense, designed to deflect attention away from the dross on the pitch.

I had season tickets at The Earthquakes, dull, dull, dull...whoever we played.

But I will be at Stoke on Saturday....our support is just great....maverick and great

Mr K.Dilkington

Quote from: Hugh Gentry on January 20, 2022, 08:24:39 PM

Having lived in the US and having attended many MLS games, this is orchestrated nonsense, designed to deflect attention away from the dross on the pitch.

I had season tickets at The Earthquakes, dull, dull, dull...whoever we played
Thank you! MLS is still a horribly low quality product. Even I'd the football media try to spin it otherwise. Some of the defending you see...it didn't really even surprise me that Liam Ridgewell was successful over there.
Foolish ham

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: Mr K.Dilkington on January 20, 2022, 08:27:27 PM
Quote from: Hugh Gentry on January 20, 2022, 08:24:39 PM

I had season tickets at The Earthquakes, dull, dull, dull...whoever we played
Thank you! MLS is still a horribly low quality product. Even I'd the football media try to spin it otherwise. Some of the defending you see...it didn't really even surprise me that Liam Ridgewell was successful over there.
Exactly, I saw Ridgewell a couple of time, it was a stroll for the exceedingly average 36 year old, but the ultras still trolled out their hymn sheet

jarv

MLS....New England...absolutely dreadful stadium,, dreadful atmosphere, (actually, no atmosphere). A few years ago I went to a game, first time in about 10 years, hoping the quality of football had improved. How wrong was I. Mistake ridden game, we left midway through the 2nd half. I have not been back since or watched any on tv.

Occasionally, I did see an entertainer or two. One game, Ian Bishop, (ex west ham) age 36 was playing for the opposition. Without breaking sweat, he dominated the midfield spraying Johnny Haynes like passes all over the pitch.  I recall he did not make one mistake and was a joy to watch.

As far as the cottage is concerned, best stadium in the country. All away teams and fans love going there.  Magazine 442 had the best stadiums in UK, Fulham came 4th from 100. Not all were professional grounds but those with character. I played at 2 of them in the Sussex county league.

Worcesterwhite

I've got to be honest, disappointed with our effort of only selling 800 tickets for Saturday with the form we are in, you can understand the Micky taking

SP

Quote from: Worcesterwhite on January 20, 2022, 09:29:45 PM
I've got to be honest, disappointed with our effort of only selling 800 tickets for Saturday with the form we are in, you can understand the Micky taking

Would love to be going to Stoke on Saturday but too much family stuff going on, I'll be there in spirit.

Mr K.Dilkington

Welcome to being a Fulham fan...we aren't a big club,so we don't have big support
Foolish ham

Worcesterwhite

Quote from: Mr K.Dilkington on January 20, 2022, 10:17:54 PM
Welcome to being a Fulham fan...we aren't a big club,so we don't have big support
No we don't have the biggest fan base, but the form we are in I would have expected a few more than normal, Stoke is not the most pleasant destination however and is bloody freezing at the best of times, I best get the thermals on for Saturday!

SP

Taking 949 to Stoke in January is pretty good IMO, glad they were suitably rewarded.

Ara's bacon crisps

My problem with the present day Ultras is that it just feels too orchestrated and doesn't reflect what is going on on the pitch. To me an Ultra will always be a mad Italian stripped to the waist, standing proudly on a barrier, arms outstretched and with a lit flare in each hand inciting the whole crowd to bellow for 90 minutes. But that's just me.

To be fair, our younger fans streamed through the turnstiles yesterday singing a song I hadn't heard before and which they may well have thought up on the coach and all credit to them if they did. To the tune of ABBA's Super Trooper, it got a good airing throughout the match. Not sure I got the words 100% correct, and apologies if someone has already posted it elsewhere, but it went something like:-

Harry Wilson, Mitrovic, Kebano
Play in black and white
Scoring goals all night
Because the Championship is sh*te

Well, it amused me and is a decent example of how good football songs are organic and reflect what is going on, or has recently gone on, on the pitch rather than the more planned and formulaic songsheets the modern Ultras tend to use.

Ruislip White

Quote from: Ara's bacon crisps on January 23, 2022, 01:05:57 PM
My problem with the present day Ultras is that it just feels too orchestrated and doesn't reflect what is going on on the pitch. To me an Ultra will always be a mad Italian stripped to the waist, standing proudly on a barrier, arms outstretched and with a lit flare in each hand inciting the whole crowd to bellow for 90 minutes. But that's just me.

To be fair, our younger fans streamed through the turnstiles yesterday singing a song I hadn't heard before and which they may well have thought up on the coach and all credit to them if they did. To the tune of ABBA's Super Trooper, it got a good airing throughout the match. Not sure I got the words 100% correct, and apologies if someone has already posted it elsewhere, but it went something like:-

Play in black and white
Scoring goals all night

Well, it amused me and is a decent example of how good football songs are organic and reflect what is going on, or has recently gone on, on the pitch rather than the more planned and formulaic songsheets the modern Ultras tend to use.
That's pretty good!
...and better than chants calling random managers sex offenders and chant about Jose Mourihno's mother.

bugsy

Great stuff!! 

flyingfish

Play in black and white
Scoring goals all night

Agreed. They have their backs to the pitch half the time. Atmosphere can come in all kinds of ways, like the tension before a free kick. Prefer atmosphere to actually be a chorus to what's happening on the pitch

Rupert

Our support does not travel well, I don't think it ever really has. Back in the 60's the fans went to the Cottage or to that lot up the road, depending who was at home. They still defined themselves as Fulham or Chelsea. In my younger days in the 70s I remember the half-time scores were read out, and the announcer would ask if any Chelsea fans were here today. Those who were would cheer, and he would then read out their score. If they were losing or drawing we would cheer, if not, our friends would cheer again.

The likes of Stoke will claim that they take 4,000 to the Cottage, so why do we only take 1,000 away? Well, how many Fulham fans live within 20 miles of Stoke? Not many, I'd bet. How many Stoke fans live in London? A few hundred, a few thousand? That will boost their numbers. My nearest ground is Cambridge United. In the past I was local (across the road, virtually) to Luton's ground. I always went to those away games. Just going to a home game now is the equivalent of an away trip. I suspect a large portion of our fan base is in a similar position. It all adds up to a "poor" away showing, but I'll be damned if I will make excuses or apologise for it. We are who we are and do not have to explain ourselves to anyone. Not even those of our own who don't like it.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Worcesterwhite

Play in black and white
Scoring goals all night

Well done who came up with the new song, it soon caught on and was sung on numerous occasions throughout the game

Somerset Fulham