watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Set Piece goals are the key to staying up

Started by bencher, January 23, 2022, 11:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bencher

More important than our dazzling attacking play, I firmly believe that if we can continue to be such a threat at set pieces next season (assuming promotion of course), it is the key to staying up. This team has scored almost as many set piece goals (14) as Barnsley have scored in total this season.

colinwhite

Tabby

Can't recall being this dangerous from set pieces. Maybe during Hodgson, but I dont think so. Most goals scored from set pieces and only one goal away from least conceded.

I remember being told that Silva was terrible at set piece coaching.

rebel

The key is 'performance' we could have the best set pieces, score 25 goals, but if we can't defend, it makes it all pointless.

filham

Quote from: rebel on January 23, 2022, 07:17:16 PM
The key is 'performance' we could have the best set pieces, score 25 goals, but if we can't defend, it makes it all pointless.
Similarly if we have a watertight defense but can't score goals-----------------------------.

cmg

Corners have been an absolute revelation this year.
Gone are the days when Mitro and his three biggest mates joined the oppo for a bit of Twickenham-style scrummaging around the penalty spot while the corner taker shied the ball over them all or into the near side netting.
Now we get carefully thought out procedures involving two or three protagonists outside the area and carefully choreographed dummy runs (some legal) to clear the way for the hitman (men) to apply the coup de grace.
I've often been cynical about the real influence of coaches, but our guys have superbly changed corners into real scoring opportunities for us rather than the springboard for opposition counter-attacks that they once were.

copthornemike

Now if we could develope someone to reach James Ward-Prowse's effectiveness at free kicks that would be an impressive armoury.
Someone I am surprised we do not use more frequently for free licks is Kebano - I recall him being particularly effective towrds the end of our previous successful promotion charge

AJW48361

Not since Roger Brown maybe Kit Symons who had purple patch of scoring.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: copthornemike on January 24, 2022, 12:42:01 AM
Now if we could develope someone to reach James Ward-Prowse's effectiveness at free kicks that would be an impressive armoury. Someone I am surprised we do not use more frequently for free licks is Kebano - I recall him being particularly effective towrds the end of our previous successful promotion charge.

I wish Fulham took more notice of statistics, Kebano's statically record with free kick is so good he deserves more chances. Interestingly enough, everyone seems to be quoting Rodak's poor statistics lately, which is wise, but also a little unfair because no one was quoting his statistics in 19/20 when they indicated he was premier league quality.

colinwhite

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 24, 2022, 12:47:28 AM
Quote from: copthornemike on January 24, 2022, 12:42:01 AM
Now if we could develope someone to reach James Ward-Prowse's effectiveness at free kicks that would be an impressive armoury. Someone I am surprised we do not use more frequently for free licks is Kebano - I recall him being particularly effective towrds the end of our previous successful promotion charge.

I wish Fulham took more notice of statistics, Kebano's statically record with free kick is so good he deserves more chances. Interestingly enough, everyone seems to be quoting Rodak's poor statistics lately, which is wise, but also a little unfair because no one was quoting his statistics in 19/20 when they indicated he was premier league quality.

Statistics are all well and good my friend but they never tell the full story as your post suggests

Mr K.Dilkington

Quote from: rebel on January 23, 2022, 07:17:16 PM
+1 you have to have a strong base if you want any chance of staying up in prem. It gets proven most years...look at Burnley every year up until this one.
Foolish ham

lamby

Pretty much how Stoke stayed up for about 10 years!

But actually, at the start of the season I hated how we would do a short kick from a corner. I thought it was a waste of a corner - but I now see how effective it is in adding variety and doubt into the defence and I am sure it is a reason why we are scoring so many more goals from set pieces.

paulbrookersmazydribbles

Defending set pieces - which was suggested to be Silva's Achilles heel at Everton - will be crucial to staying up as well. The invention in our attacking set plays has been brilliant. Cairney's delivery was outstanding on Saturday with Wilson out.

Mr K.Dilkington

Quote from: paulbrookersmazydribbles on January 24, 2022, 02:54:35 PM
Defending set pieces - which was suggested to be Silva's Achilles heel at Everton - will be crucial to staying up as well. The invention in our attacking set plays has been brilliant. Cairney's delivery was outstanding on Saturday with Wilson out.
Stuff like just having centre backs who attack balls in the box helps so much and is so simple...
Foolish ham

filham

Quote from: AJW48361 on January 24, 2022, 12:43:48 AM
Not since Roger Brown maybe Kit Symons who had purple patch of scoring.
Roger Brown got 12 goals in one season if I remember correctly, never seen anything like that since.

Mr K.Dilkington

Everybody now wishes they had a set piece expert like JWP on their team. He really is very excellent
Foolish ham