watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Middlesbrough

Started by Ludlow Richard, April 04, 2022, 05:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ludlow Richard

We always think of Burnley and Everton as being our least successful away grounds. While we have had success at Middlesbrough our record there in recent years (while not Burnleyesque) has been very very poor.

In the last 15 games played at Middlesbrough, we have won just the once (in January 2018, and that was courtesy of a last minute Oliver Norwood penalty to get a 1-0 win). Our record in those 15 games is W1 D5 L9 GF9 GA22. Of our 32 league games played at Middlesbrough we have won just 8. The last time we scored more than 2 goals at Middlesbrough was in 1984.

Fortunately past performance is no indication of future performance.........

WestSussexWhite

Interesting stat, Fulham are unbeaten in 4 of their last 5 games at the riverside too!

AJW48361

Tough one on Wednesday.

Fernhurst

Asking myself "are we better than everybody?"

Be thrilled with three but happy with one point on our next sojourn to the frozen North.

COME ON YOU LILLYWHITES

049:gif.  049:gif.  049:gif
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

PaulJ123

Middlesbrough look very good at home under Wilder. A point is a good result in this one.

Rupert

By the look of things on their message boards, both sets of fans would settle for a draw right now.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Bill2

I really don't see the point of looking at stats which include games many years ago. Especially when they refer to a time when one team was on a role and then other in the doldrums. Both teams are playing well and Boro's current form means it will be a good match. Hopefully Boro who need the win will go out and play open football rather than the 10 men behind the ball most teams are playing.

Woolly Mammoth

History counts for nothing, the ones that bow to stats showing that because a team have not got a good record v another team at a certain ground are the mentally weak when they have to use stats as a comfort blanket or the anti christ whichever suits your narrative.
It's all in the mind,
The earth is not flat, the eclipse of the sun or sound of thunder does not not mean the gods are angry, and no you will not turn into a werewolf if there is a full moon.

Witchfinder Generals are all out of work. Ghost do not exist, only in the the mind. It's all in one's imagination, do not be afraid of the dark, Owls aren't in fact they don't give a Hoot.

Never believe what some bloke wrote on an animal skin in the desert 5000 years ago.
It is fear of the unknown that holds people back and many a match has been lost in the tunnel due to intimidation.
Classic example was when Wimbledon beat Liverpool in the FA Cup, men against boys, Wimbledon talked Liverpool out of it and the not so mighty reds did not want to know and that was before a ball was kicked.
The meek try to convince the gullible that the pen is mightier that the sword, but believe me it is not, try writing with a broken arm.
If you like stats that is your prerogative, they can be a bit of fun, but they cannot be used as a tool or a weapon where human nature is concerned, because it's not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man, it's not how tall you are it's how high you jump.
It is not what happened ten years ago nor ten months ago or ten minutes ago.
What counts is what happens tomorrow night.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Grassy Noel

A broken arm mitigates against both the pen and the sword. Far better to just stay in bed.

Sgt Fulham

Would usually take a draw, but I think this team is good enough to win even the toughest away games. Hopefully we turn up and show them why we're top dog.

Grassy Noel

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on April 05, 2022, 03:49:13 PM
Would usually take a draw, but I think this team is good enough to win even the toughest away games. Hopefully we turn up and show them why we're top dog.

Quite right Sarge. We need to have the confidence in our game plan , be aware of our opponents but not build our game around our opponents abilities.
Having said that I do not know very much about their team. That McNair seems to have a lot of poise and purpose. He is a bit like a poor man's Harry Maguire.

Ludlow Richard

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 05, 2022, 02:39:01 PM
History counts for nothing, the ones that bow to stats showing that because a team have not got a good record v another team at a certain ground are the mentally weak when they have to use stats as a comfort blanket or the anti christ whichever suits your narrative.
It's all in the mind,
The earth is not flat, the eclipse of the sun or sound of thunder does not not mean the gods are angry, and no you will not turn into a werewolf if there is a full moon.

Witchfinder Generals are all out of work. Ghost do not exist, only in the the mind. It's all in one's imagination, do not be afraid of the dark, Owls aren't in fact they don't give a Hoot.

Never believe what some bloke wrote on an animal skin in the desert 5000 years ago.
It is fear of the unknown that holds people back and many a match has been lost in the tunnel due to intimidation.
Classic example was when Wimbledon beat Liverpool in the FA Cup, men against boys, Wimbledon talked Liverpool out of it and the not so mighty reds did not want to know and that was before a ball was kicked.
The meek try to convince the gullible that the pen is mightier that the sword, but believe me it is not, try writing with a broken arm.
If you like stats that is your prerogative, they can be a bit of fun, but they cannot be used as a tool or a weapon where human nature is concerned, because it's not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man, it's not how tall you are it's how high you jump.
Yes I get this, stats aren't for everyone and as I said past performance is no indication of future performance. But none of what you say accounts for the relentless history of FFC's failure at (say) Burnley, Everton and Arsenal. No doubt countless FFC coaches have told their team in the changing room at Turf Moor that "we can win today" and the team, for whatever reason, hasn't done so. Personally I find stats entertaining and sometimes surprising (like no 0-0s ever against Swansea) but I try not to be too serious about them.

FFC In Oz

This is definitely one of the toughest games on the run in.  Boro have been solid at home under Wilder, and look a far different proposition.  Given Forest have a game in hand and playing at the same time, they might be prepared to attack a bit more than many of our other opponents do.

As long as WBA can do us a solid and beat Bournemouth, that's the dream result. 

filham

Boro looked god in the cup against quality opposition and are now havind a good run in the league. A very tough fixture and I would be happy with a point.

Takemehome27

Quote from: filham on April 05, 2022, 06:42:56 PM
Boro looked god in the cup against quality opposition and are now havind a good run in the league. A very tough fixture and I would be happy with a point.

Was that point or pint?

Grassy Noel

Quote from: Takemehome27 on April 05, 2022, 08:01:02 PM
Quote from: filham on April 05, 2022, 06:42:56 PM

Was that point or pint?

When said with an Irish accent it could be either.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Grassy Noel on April 05, 2022, 03:01:12 PM
A broken arm mitigates against both the pen and the sword. Far better to just stay in bed.

With a woman who has a mind like a Cairo Sewer.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Ludlow Richard on April 05, 2022, 04:16:30 PM
It's all in the mind,

Yes I get this, stats aren't for everyone and as I said past performance is no indication of future performance. But none of what you say accounts for the relentless history of FFC's failure at (say) Burnley, Everton and Arsenal. No doubt countless FFC coaches have told their team in the changing room at Turf Moor that "we can win today" and the team, for whatever reason, hasn't done so. Personally I find stats entertaining and sometimes surprising (like no 0-0s ever against Swansea) but I try not to be too serious about them.

By the Beard of Zeus, did you know that statistically 6 out of 7 Dwarfs are not Happy.

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

It's all in the mind,

Sean Dyche at Burnley is big on psychology - that's why Burnley always run out in short sleeved shirts,  whatever the weather, while their opponents are wearing track suit tops over shirts with thermal baselayers beneath.

The whole myth of 'Fulham don't like going up north on a dirty midweek night, with the wind and rain howling, and the dark moors looming all around Turf moor, with a fanatical home crowd, and never winning  there' is about the players being affected psychologically, but does this affect the mind of the modern pro?
Well, if you never win at a place can have an unconscious affect I suppose, but we broke our  Everton jinx  under Parker, winning at Goodison in the league for the first time.

Grassy Noel

Quote from: RaySmith on April 05, 2022, 09:36:45 PM

The whole myth of 'Fulham don't like going up north on a dirty midweek night, with the wind and rain howling, and the dark moors looming all around Turf moor, with a fanatical home crowd, and never winning  there' is about the players being affected psychologically, but does this affect the mind of the modern pro?
Well, if you never win at a place can have an unconscious affect I suppose, but we broke our  Everton jinx  under Parker, winning at Goodison in the league for the first time.

I think it affects the reality more than the mind. Last Saturday Tosin and Tim were the very model of composure in placid conditions. Now think back to the game at Preston when they were all over the place in a swirling wind. So was our keeper and I think Preston scored direct from a corner. A lot of the problem is the stupid floaty balls that are used today. Back in the day etc etc....I am now returning to Old Fartdom.