Started by longshanks, April 16, 2022, 11:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJW48361

BDR out of position.

Grassy Noel

Quote from: Denver Fulham on April 16, 2022, 06:13:29 PM
Quote from: WolverineFFC on April 16, 2022, 05:53:09 PM
Quote from: sarnian on April 16, 2022, 01:03:54 PM
Tosin played some brilliant cross field balls yesterday to Reid who always cut back to his right foot and slowed things down. Had it been Kebano first half he would have taken on the full back and put the ball into the danger area.

As mentioned he quite often has to cover for other out of position defenders. He will be fine.

He looked more at fault yesterday than he was. I think he switches off a bit much for a defender, but the hope is that it is something which will correct as he ages. Regardless, he is the club's best member of the back 4 and has already proven himself capable at the Premier League. There are much larger issues for the club to address ahead of next season.

I don't think he showed proper urgency in closing down the cross for their opener. The second one was a scuffed shot that put him in a bad spot. It happens.

Anyway, he's a clear starter for us next season. Not sure what the point of debate about him is. He's much more good than bad, and on a list of problems for the PL, he's way below the line of consideration.

I can live without his lack of physicality as long as the other CB has physicality in spades. Although perhaps Mitro could take Tosin to that gym that he works out at every day.

longshanks

Simply Fulham, why are you so aggressive in your options when you don't agree with other people,  or do you know everything about football.

simplyfulham

Quote from: longshanks on April 16, 2022, 07:59:51 PM
Simply Fulham, why are you so aggressive in your options when you don't agree with other people,  or do you know everything about football.

Nope, no aggressiveness here LS. Apologies if it seemed so.

The idea that Tosin is a player of limited ability is frankly laughable. Yourself and others are welcome to hold whatever opinions take you fancy, but there's little weight behind them.

Tosin is human, so he is fallible. That aside, he's one of the best defenders in the league. His passing range is unmatched in this division (for a CB) and for a fella nearly 6"6' he is rapid.

The idea that he is often out of position is just incorrect I'm afraid. You have to have a little look at Marco and how he's used his back line in previous roles at Hull, Everton etc. He likes to play a very high line and defend on the front foot. When it goes wrong the back line get caught out but it's not really an individual error.

I think you would have to go a long way back to find a better defender at Fulham who wasn't a player we had on loan.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Denver Fulham on April 16, 2022, 06:13:29 PM
Quote from: WolverineFFC on April 16, 2022, 05:53:09 PM
Quote from: sarnian on April 16, 2022, 01:03:54 PM
Tosin played some brilliant cross field balls yesterday to Reid who always cut back to his right foot and slowed things down. Had it been Kebano first half he would have taken on the full back and put the ball into the danger area.

As mentioned he quite often has to cover for other out of position defenders. He will be fine.

He looked more at fault yesterday than he was. I think he switches off a bit much for a defender, but the hope is that it is something which will correct as he ages. Regardless, he is the club's best member of the back 4 and has already proven himself capable at the Premier League. There are much larger issues for the club to address ahead of next season.

I don't think he showed proper urgency in closing down the cross for their opener. The second one was a scuffed shot that put him in a bad spot. It happens.

Anyway, he's a clear starter for us next season. Not sure what the point of debate about him is. He's much more good than bad, and on a list of problems for the PL, he's way below the line of consideration.

I agree with him not showing proper urgency. He underestimated the wide man's pace and by the time he realized he needed to book it, he was a fraction too late. That being said, if TC and Nico do their jobs, he is never in that position.

It is was I am referring to in him switching off though. He relies on his length and height to get him out of too many situations. Just too optimistic as a defender. If gets that squared away, the sky is the limit for him as a player.

FacundoSavasfacemask

Its only his third full season playing the game, and first as first choice CB. We're also favourites every week, meaning him andneveryone else are under more pressure than normal.

Also, wasn't he the saviour of our defence a few months ago?

StuinSalop

There are a lot of players who need upgrading when we play in the top flight next season, Tosin is not one of them, neither is Robinson yet this thread shows for some fans almost the whole teams needs replacing and that can't happen.

FacundoSavasfacemask

Quote from: StuinSalop on April 17, 2022, 09:32:02 AM
There are a lot of players who need upgrading when we play in the top flight next season, Tosin is not one of them, neither is Robinson yet this thread shows for some fans almost the whole teams needs replacing and that can't happen.

Tosin is good enough for the Premier League, but Robinson is not even good enough for this league. He needs to be the first to go.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: FacundoSavasfacemask on April 17, 2022, 09:18:46 PM
Quote from: StuinSalop on April 17, 2022, 09:32:02 AM

Tosin is good enough for the Premier League, but Robinson is not even good enough for this league. He needs to be the first to go.

Robinson has the best statistics of any left back in the Championship that has played more than 12 games this season. Robinson is easily good enough for the Championship and deserves another chance in the premier league. If we release every player worse than Robinson, then we won't have much of a squad left. Any DOF that recruits 15 players in the summer has found their coach has statistical always failed to gel, Tony Khan and Marco Silva won't be the exception to the rule.

Whitestone

There are just a handful of players in the current squad who will adapt to the Premier League. Tosin and Robinson are both in that group.

rebel

He's been caught 'dawdling' on the ball, before he knows the striker is upon him, he needs to control those situations better. Make decisions quicker in those situations. Same goes for Ream, strikers are in front of you, why they can't spot them I'll never know.

toshes mate

One of the players who impressed me first half at Pride Park was Adarabioyo.  His positioning was good; he checked out where Ream and others were; he blocked many attempted through balls.  He didn't get easily shifted out of good positions.  He seemed sharper.  Obviously, it didn't also span second half, but it is still encouraging to see.   

FacundoSavasfacemask

Quote from: Whitestone on April 18, 2022, 08:48:52 AM
There are just a handful of players in the current squad who will adapt to the Premier League. Tosin and Robinson are both in that group.

Apart from Robinsons pace, please tell me other strengths to his game?
He can't cross a ball. He doesn't track back enough. His tackling is poor for a left back. His all round passing is below the standard it should be.

Apart from that, he's Roberto Carlos...

simplyfulham

Quote from: FacundoSavasfacemask on April 18, 2022, 09:27:00 AM
Quote from: Whitestone on April 18, 2022, 08:48:52 AM

Apart from Robinsons pace, please tell me other strengths to his game?
He can't cross a ball. He doesn't track back enough. His tackling is poor for a left back. His all round passing is below the standard it should be.

Apart from that, he's Roberto Carlos...

I'm reticent to turn this thread into (another) Robinson bashing thread.. but if it wasn't for Robbo's electrifying pace, I really don't think he'd get half the love he currently does.

copthornemike

Had a similar issue when Jocanovic was manager, ie attacking FBs often left upfield on quick counters resulting in CBs being pulled to the wing.
Same thing happened vs Derby but in his defence Tosin was the only defender willing or quick enough to put in a challenge.
Jokanovic used Kevin Mac to drop back as a third CB positioned around the 6yard box so we had two CBs around that area to clear up.
We need an effective defensive midfielder who is disciplined & tall enough to replicate this tactic, unfortunately our current ones are too short or not disciplined enough.
Thoughts anyone as opposition managers have cottoned on that we leave a lot of space behind our FBs
!