watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We need a leader as a captain.

Started by alfulham, April 30, 2022, 02:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfulham

We need to find a leader who also is our next captain. We need someone like Henderson of Liverpool. At the moment we do not have a player capable of leading the team. Please suggest who we can get.

Ruislip White

There are 2 players who are vocal and lead others.  Reed and Bryan.  Whether they'll get regular game time next season is a different question.

filham

Ream has done a very good job this season. Problem is for next season we need a player who is going to be automatic choice, experienced and has the leadership qualities. Don't think we have signed him yet.

Finnans Right Peg

Players don't need an armband to lead the team .

I would love to sign milner for Liverpool just for a season and let him sit in midfield and run the show

LC

We never really replaced Danny Murphy. I personally, would try and bring someone in like James Ward-Prowse and make him captain. If not, then I think Tosin would make a good captain- and he'll mature into the role over time

glenhodgso

The best leader we have had in recent years was rarely if ever our captain and that was Kevin McDonald

ALG01

we have just torn through the league with ream and cairney as captains
i do agree a charismatic leader is useful but not sure this thread reflects the brilliance of the season.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: LC on April 30, 2022, 04:36:14 PM
We never really replaced Danny Murphy. I personally, would try and bring someone in like James Ward-Prowse and make him captain. If not, then I think Tosin would make a good captain- and he'll mature into the role over time

Ward-Prowse is way out of our league.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: ALG01 on April 30, 2022, 11:12:59 PM
we have just torn through the league with ream and cairney as captains
i do agree a charismatic leader is useful but not sure this thread reflects the brilliance of the season.

Correct.
My only hesitation is that neither are as vocal and demonstrative as other 'captains"
But perhaps they don't need to be.
Although sometimes on the pitch especially the last few weeks, there seems to be no
one on the pitch "kicking the team up the a*** but I guess those players are few and far
between.

I know how to do it but couldn't.  I'm 72 and the legs are seemingly over-ridden by the brain.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Woolly Mammoth

A new charismatic warrior of a Captain is needed in the ranks plus some Lieutenants around him.
All good teams need that and in the Premier League if you act like pussy cats without any steel mentally and physically through the team, the opponents will rip you a new one.
There is no hiding place and if some players want a comfortable life and do not mind being humiliated, they will not last five minutes. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

rebel

Odoi would of made a 'good leader', there was an attitude and fight about him. You knew every time he walked on to the pitch he was ready lead and do battle.   

Jim©

I genuinely think people get this "we need a shouty captain" thing so wrong.
Why? Was David Silva not man City captain as they came to the fore? Thierry Henry at arsenal?
I don't see what a John Terry type captain (angry and shouty) does.
To lead on and off of the pitch is key, set an example. Ream and TC both pretty good on this front.

Facts Not Fiction

Whilst TC is at the club, the arm band will be his.

Tim Ream has been exemplary this season as captain when TC has been unfit.

Next season will be no different, just maybe a new vice captain will need to be named.

H4usuallysitting

What about Mitro as capitano.....he loves the club

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jim© on May 01, 2022, 11:14:14 AM
I genuinely think people get this "we need a shouty captain" thing so wrong.
Why? Was David Silva not man City captain as they came to the fore? Thierry Henry at arsenal?
I don't see what a John Terry type captain (angry and shouty) does.
To lead on and off of the pitch is key, set an example. Ream and TC both pretty good on this front.

You misunderstood, who is talking about shouting, it's about standing up and being counted in adversity and mastering your troops when you are under the hammer and then showing your players an example of why you are a Captain and leader, and both Cairney and Ream do not possess those attributes when the going gets tough.

Never forget your Roots.

Rupert

The captain needs to be the one who keeps his head when everyone else is running around like headless chickens. This may entail a little bit of shouting, mostly at any of ours who are doing the chicken bit, but it also requires him being calm enough to effectively communicate with the referee and other officials. This involves listening and comprehending, as well as putting our point across. The captain is the referee's first point of contact if there are impending issues. The captain can advise a player to calm down far better than a ref, who may only inflame the situation if he has given a couple of dodgy decisions. The captain can communicate a real grievance far batter than an angry mob with veins throbbing on their foreheads.

It is not about loving the club, that emotion can get in the way, it is about being clear, calm and comprehensive. It is knowing when to stand up and be counted, and when to usher your mob away and get them back into a proper defensive shape. It is not easy finding someone who qualifies.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Jims Dentist

Mullers, Ray Evans, Roger Brown, Coleman, Murphy stand out for me as good Fulham captains.

Radiowhite

Don't need an armband to be a leader

Denver Fulham

I will always regret not staying up and losing Andersen. He was set up to be our long-term captain and New Hangeland.

That said, if we sign a few really good players over the summer, we'll be fine whoever the captain in. Right now, our biggest issue is talent deficit to the Prem teams.

Woolly Mammoth

The players we sign for next season have to be Lions not Sheep, and to qualify to be a Lion you have to have the qualities that identify you as a warrior and a fighter and a leader and a character.
It's a team game and players have to play within the framework of the team which includes communicating, and be vocal and encourage their team mates and set and example and we currently do not have enough of them. All those attributes breed confidence.

You watch an adult open age game at your local park and the team that is dominating is firstly the noisiest and generally the most proactive and confident.

Never forget your Roots.