https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Goal contribution by player

Started by ImperialWhite, January 03, 2011, 09:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: Mr Fulham on January 03, 2011, 11:04:56 PM
Quote from: Bilet on January 03, 2011, 09:48:46 PM
That A.Johnson is yet to be involved in a goal is nothing less then shocking? Been involved far more than Dembele...

Bairds indirect free kick goes down as an assist to Andy Johnson.

Quite right AJ laid it on a plate for him, I really don't know why it took so long for Baird to finish all he had to do was shoot, I mean all that foot work by AJ and his touch to stop the ball was class.

McBridefan1

Quote from: MJG on January 03, 2011, 09:41:32 PM
Whatever you think of either etuhu and Murphy helping to get goals is not one.

Sorry brotha I disagree, getting the ball back defensively, working the ball through midfield and slotting a through ball or two are all contributing to the few goals we've managed to create this season. Perhaps they should have the stat for an assist to an assist somtimes springing a guy out on the wing so he can cross the ball is just as important... PS: When is Dembele gonna be fit? that guy looked classy earlier this season.

finnster01

Quote from: McBridefan1 on January 03, 2011, 11:41:41 PM
Quote from: MJG on January 03, 2011, 09:41:32 PM
Whatever you think of either etuhu and Murphy helping to get goals is not one.

Sorry brotha I disagree, getting the ball back defensively, working the ball through midfield and slotting a through ball or two are all contributing to the few goals we've managed to create this season. Perhaps they should have the stat for an assist to an assist somtimes springing a guy out on the wing so he can cross the ball is just as important... PS: When is Dembele gonna be fit? that guy looked classy earlier this season.
If he isn't ready tomorrow McB1, he'll be there the next game. He's been on the Stella rehab program so he'll come charging out of the blocks
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

McBridefan1

right and Bo-Zee is do back in February so it becomes an embarrassment of riches then... so who do we start? Bobby and Andy Johnson... Bobby and Dembele... Dembele and Andy Johnson? Johnson & Johnson? (just checking to see if you were paying attention)... will be nice for Hughes to have some viable options.

finnster01

Quote from: McBridefan1 on January 03, 2011, 11:55:09 PM
right and Bo-Zee is do back in February so it becomes an embarrassment of riches then... so who do we start? Bobby and Andy Johnson... Bobby and Dembele... Dembele and Andy Johnson? Johnson & Johnson? (just checking to see if you were paying attention)... will be nice for Hughes to have some viable options.
I am hoping for another B, Bendtner from the Arse.

But as my old man once told me when he was still around on this earth "You can wish in one hand and shite in the other and guess which one you will have the most in?"

He didn't have one of the most positive outlooks on life.

McBridefan1

Well if you wish for shlte then you will never be disapointed?  :drums:

HatterDon

Well, I'm not sure all goals are accompanied by an assist, but that's neither here nor there. There's generally more to a goal than the pass that led to the shot and the shot. Last season I can't count the number of goals we scored because of diagonal runs -- usually from Zamora, Dempsey, and Duff -- that drew defenders away from a player about to score a goal. When Zamora was on the pitch last year, it was fair to say that the defense's concentration on him opened up space that led to most of our goals. His goal tally and his assist tally only tell part of the story. It's THAT factor -- more than his goals/assists -- that we are missing right now.

Similarly, Murphy's great strength is seeing a player moving into space and hitting him with a pass. Often, that player then crosses or lays back for a shot. When that shot hits the net, Murphy's not the guy who gets the assist.

Just saying.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

Quote from: HatterDon on January 04, 2011, 12:25:12 AM
Well, I'm not sure all goals are accompanied by an assist, but that's neither here nor there. There's generally more to a goal than the pass that led to the shot and the shot. Last season I can't count the number of goals we scored because of diagonal runs -- usually from Zamora, Dempsey, and Duff -- that drew defenders away from a player about to score a goal. When Zamora was on the pitch last year, it was fair to say that the defense's concentration on him opened up space that led to most of our goals. His goal tally and his assist tally only tell part of the story. It's THAT factor -- more than his goals/assists -- that we are missing right now.

Similarly, Murphy's great strength is seeing a player moving into space and hitting him with a pass. Often, that player then crosses or lays back for a shot. When that shot hits the net, Murphy's not the guy who gets the assist.

Just saying.
Mr Hatter,
The number of times I have run interference off the ball to catch the waitress to place my order whilst watching Fulham on the big screen is numerous. I never got any credit for it though.  :046:

AlFayedsChequebook

Very interesting stuff Imperial White.

However, this does beg the question as to why Hughes has not tried a more radical mix up if we are struggling to score so much.

For Example, we could play a more attack minded 4-3-3:

Schwarzer

Baird    Hangeland    Hughes    Sally

Etuhu
             Davies     Murphy

Dembele                            Clint
                      AJ

(Obviously Dembele has been injured but could have been replaced by Gera or Duff, or even possibly Riise)

Nick the Swede

Besides the fact that we obviously miss a proper goal scorer (we could do wonders with a fox-in-the-box kind in the mold of Ruud Van Horseface or Viduka), but of equal importance to me is a playmaker alongside Murphy. We need someone central that can make that clinical through-ball as well as set up a variations of plays using more than one template from the playbook  :doh:

-"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

BalDrick

Quote from: HatterDon on January 04, 2011, 12:25:12 AM

Just saying.

Yep Murph will have lots of assists to assists (whereas Etuhu will have none, actually less than that after his sublime through ball to Carlton Cole that left the West Ham man with a chance even he couldn't miss), so in that respect it's an unfair view of things.

That said, that AJ doesn't feature at all (bar the free kick) speaks volumes. Volumes he can read on the bench, or better still on the players' balcony, while a pair of proper strikers get the goals some of our approach play has merited.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

The Equalizer

Quote from: os5889 on January 03, 2011, 10:05:22 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on January 03, 2011, 09:55:07 PM
That A.Johnson is yet to be involved in a goal is nothing less then shocking? Been involved far more than Dembele...
Actually I believe that is a very good point Mr Bilet. Didn't think of that, but lets just say I am not in the big camp that thinks AJ or any other Johnson will come around. We can all wait for both of the Johnson brothers to show up until the cows come home, but it all will be in vain. The time to act is NOW whilst we are still a Premiership side. Get the Bendtner

Black and white Johnson this year have been about as lethal as a jelly bullet

"I'm agent Johnson, this is Special Agent Johnson. No relation"

Name the movie...
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: The Equalizer on January 04, 2011, 10:09:53 AM
Quote from: os5889 on January 03, 2011, 10:05:22 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on January 03, 2011, 09:55:07 PM
Actually I believe that is a very good point Mr Bilet. Didn't think of that, but lets just say I am not in the big camp that thinks AJ or any other Johnson will come around. We can all wait for both of the Johnson brothers to show up until the cows come home, but it all will be in vain. The time to act is NOW whilst we are still a Premiership side. Get the Bendtner

Black and white Johnson this year have been about as lethal as a jelly bullet

"I'm agent Johnson, this is Special Agent Johnson. No relation"

Name the movie...

Same movie as  'No f***ing sh1t, lady. Does it sound like I'm ordering a pizza?'

os5889

Add a goal and 2 assists to Simon "take a bow my son" Davies
:HD: :yay: :HD: :yay: