watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR- Anyone been to Tallinn, Estonia?

Started by leonffc, January 03, 2011, 09:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonffc

As part of a long service work thingy I got some flights somewhere. Having booked my main family summer hols I fancy a weekend break off the beaten track or not too comercial around October.

My fave destination was Zaragoza in Spain (maybe Seville) but for both of these I would need to go with Ryanair (Stanstead being my 2nd choice of airport after Luton). Natrually I dont want to travel with these bandits.

Tallinn is accesible from Luton and looks nice, scenic, historic and architectually pleasant. The problem is that it isnt as well know as the major European countries and isnt well explained on Wikitravel etc so if anyone has been or has personal knowlege of the place (beer, food, prices, people etc) it would be good to hear a proper review.

Thanks in advance

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

used to sail into there when I was working on the Cruise ships-locals welcoming, beer and food cheap but check with your Doctor as we needed injections before we where aloud of the boat so that might be something you need to check out,but that was 15 years ago :doh:

finnster01

Mr Leon,

I actually have not but me nephew is there right now on R&R and he says the following (just received it yesterday) "Tallinn is excellent: beautiful ladies, good restaurants, great bars, cheap and easy to get around. Perhaps too many Russians, and a tad cold but no worse than a good winter bollicking at home".

For reference, my nephew is in his early thirties and a very reasonable and careful chap with three tours of Afghanistan and one tour of Bosnia behind him.

If it is anything like Lithuania it will be great (went there last year for the Fulham game with my daughter). Hope this help.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

Yeah i got the boat across from Helsinki for the day with Jay and Albanian white, we heard it was meant to be really wild but we thought it was shite. Went to a stripper bar and the bird didn't even get her knickers off, plus i made a tit of myself (nothing new there then) we was trying to suss the money and how much to give, she came up to me first i gave her what i thought was a fiver and she screwed it up and threw it back at me, the other two quickly changed thier notes.  Very pretty old town but didn't find it cheap at all (saying that might have fecked up the exchange rate)we headed back to Helsinki after a few hours. Saying that i have heard from other people it's mental, i just obviously found the wrong bits, plus we wasn't there at night time.

Tom

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on January 04, 2011, 07:57:42 AM
Yeah i got the boat across from Helsinki for the day with Jay and Albanian white, we heard it was meant to be really wild but we thought it was shite. Went to a stripper bar and the bird didn't even get her knickers off, plus i made a tit of myself (nothing new there then) we was trying to suss the money and how much to give, she came up to me first i gave her what i thought was a fiver and she screwed it up and threw it back at me, the other two quickly changed thier notes.  Very pretty old town but didn't find it cheap at all (saying that might have fecked up the exchange rate)we headed back to Helsinki after a few hours. Saying that i have heard from other people it's mental, i just obviously found the wrong bits, plus we wasn't there at night time.
What a total whore! She needed to take off those knickers so you could see that fine Russian ass. You should have bitched slapped her Freddy!  :011:
Fulham for life!

The Equalizer

A friend of mine owns a hotel out there and has just spent New Years there. By all accounts it's quite an amazing place. I'll be heading over in a couple of months when it warms up a bit...
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Nick the Swede

Tallinn is not a bad place to go. Sadly they joined the European Monetary Union on the 1st of January so don't expect it to be as cheap as it used to be considering all countries that have joined the EMU has seen an increase in prices for goods and services.

If you can find any flights there, I'd suggest you chose Riga over Tallin! Similar people, architecture etc but a lot cheaper!

Bon Voyage!  :038:
-"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

OtterFFC

Went there for a stag weekend - twas superb!"

sipwell

Quote from: Nick the Swede on January 04, 2011, 08:26:34 AM
Tallinn is not a bad place to go. Sadly they joined the European Monetary Union on the 1st of January so don't expect it to be as cheap as it used to be considering all countries that have joined the EMU has seen an increase in prices for goods and services.
:038:

"Sadly" "EMU"! Tsk.

The euro is the best thing that happened to them. ;-)

I think it is an excellent place to go there on a short break. Never was there myself but it is on my list.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Irelands_number1

I was there a few years ago when my local team made the qualifying rounds of the Champions League, excellent city. lovely beaches, nice city. extremely friendly people! and its very very very cheap! i dont know what the effects of the euro will be. ( i really should seeing as im studying economics and the european economy in particular)
Id strongly recommend it for a family holiday or a 'lads' holiday!

timmyg

Yes, I've been twice actually. It's probably one of my favorite cities in Europe, if not the world. There is plenty of history, culture, and activities for everyone. Plus, it has two of my favorite bars that are basically speak-easys in a medieval basement (I love the dive bars): Levist Valjas and Depeche Mode bar.

Also, be sure to explore outside the old city. Tallinn is a pretty fascinating with lots of 20s Art Deco architecture and, sadly, a lot of elderly women (considering their occupation).

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions leon!
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

Nick the Swede

Quote from: sipwell on January 04, 2011, 12:06:27 PM

"Sadly" "EMU"! Tsk.

I really can't see that, very likely to go the same way as the Irish, Spanish and to a certain extent your own home countrys' economy...

I hope I'm wrong!

sipwell

Quote from: Nick the Swede on January 04, 2011, 02:37:35 PM

"Sadly" "EMU"! Tsk.

I really can't see that, very likely to go the same way as the Irish, Spanish and to a certain extent your own home countrys' economy...

I hope I'm wrong!

Tsk! Monetary policy (EMU) is not the same as budget policy (member states). And Belgium is doing very fine, thank you! Someone should forbid the rating agencies from functioning. After all, months before the bubble they strengthened the rating of the Lehman Inc. We all know what happened to them.

But on topic: Go to Talinn!

finnster01

Quote from: sipwell on January 04, 2011, 02:41:01 PM
Quote from: Nick the Swede on January 04, 2011, 02:37:35 PM

"Sadly" "EMU"! Tsk.

I hope I'm wrong!

...Someone should forbid the rating agencies from functioning... 

A very good point Mr Sipwell. Actually they finally are trying to do something about them here in the Sates now. The rating agencies are the biggest scams in capital markets.  :030:

Nick the Swede

Agreed, we should move back to topic, but just for the sake of argument: Nobody needs any rating agencies to see the problems in Ireland, Spain, Greece et al...

The comment about Belgium is based on the news over here regarding your budget deficit and the alleged application of more loans from the EU. The reports might be wrong, but Belgium has popped up quite a few times in the media recently "as the next country to follow above named ones"...

If Belgium are doing fine, I'm glad. We need more happy financial news than the other way around  :clap_hands:

sipwell

Quote from: Nick the Swede on January 04, 2011, 03:04:33 PM
Agreed, we should move back to topic, but just for the sake of argument: Nobody needs any rating agencies to see the problems in Ireland, Spain, Greece et al...

The comment about Belgium is based on the news over here regarding your budget deficit and the alleged application of more loans from the EU. The reports might be wrong, but Belgium has popped up quite a few times in the media recently "as the next country to follow above named ones"...

If Belgium are doing fine, I'm glad. We need more happy financial news than the other way around  :clap_hands:

I like your style Mr. Swede. End a discussion but having the last word. We are two alike  :011: :011: :011:

Anyways: the Irish/spanish/Greek economy is not comparable to the Belgian one. We have an export economy and high company taxes (but worthy of them). The name of Belgium has figured on those reports in the media as a result of the political "instability". The people responsible for that are... the before mentioned agencies who have threatened to lower the rating of Belgium if a government wasn't formed before a given date. They have been slapped in the face with a wet towel (or to sound geekish with a "damp rag") since the political instability has nothing to do with the economical situation. The Belgian government functions, as could be seen in the presidency of the EU council which we did exceptionally good. The rating agencies' threat would have dire effects on our position and our export, which would potentially damage the euro, etc. etc. So, it all boils down to those unchecked institutions who can blab all they want without anybody checking them. As Disraeli said himself: there are lies, damned lies and statistics. The rating agencies marvel in the use of the latter and they should be stopped. They don't have all the wisdom, as their Lehman catastrophe clearly showed.

finnster01

Don't even get me started on the rating agencies. I make a living in this space and have worked very closely with all three major ones and I can tell you a lot of war stories from all of them. Bottom line, they are not all that.

Lets get the thread back on track please.

leonffc

Cheers everyone (except the economics bit). Its looking likely I'll book that although Split in Croatia has made a late bid.

sipwell

Split is absolutely brilliant! YES from Belgium (and considerably more sunny).

Nick the Swede

Quote from: sipwell on January 04, 2011, 03:34:26 PM

I like your style Mr. Swede. End a discussion but having the last word. We are two alike  :011: :011: :011:

Well, can't blame me for trying  :52: