News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Anyone back from the match and sober enough to write a fan review please?

Started by finnster01, January 04, 2011, 11:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

sipwell

No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

kewbridgeffc

Why not? This was the 4th home match I have attended this year and apart from Sunderland it's been all W's :-) Like another poster earlier today I have yet to see Fulham lose live, so the streak rolls on :)

When I heard that Dembele wasn't even on the bench I was not sure where the goals would come from but was optimistic we could pull this one off, I thought the crowd and atmosphere were pretty good for a Tuesday night.

* 12 Stockdale - Solid performance if a little shakey at times. It's hard to step into Mark's shoes asshe has such a commanding presence, but I am confident he will continue to improve.

* 04 Pantsil - Good and bad, I thought defensively he was making better decisions, there were a few occaisons where instead of passing back dangerously into the box he fought off the attacker himself and then cleared. He was quite energetic and perhaps a bit of a show off. On the bad side he did give away a number of balls when he passed into the midfield from in deep.

* 05 Hangeland - Solid, no major mistakes, obviously got the goal but I also thought he got the second one as well, he most certainly would have had it if it wasn't for Demspey.

* 06 Baird - Looked a lot more confident going forward and had a few shots including one quite brazen long range attempt at the beggining. Certainly did not hurt his current starting place.

* 18 Hughes - I never really notice him and as a defender that is probably a good thing.

* 13 Murphy - Excellent, did everything he could, good passing although he seems a bit shy when it comes to shooting, he had at least one clear shooting opportunity.

* 16 Duff - Fine performance, crosses a bit erratic perhaps but I don't know if we have anyone that can dribble down the wing like he can, he faked out a few defenders and even had a few good shots. Had a huge opportunity at the top of the box in the second half but he missed the ball.

* 20 Etuhu - Man of the Match, he was all over the place and really intimidated West Brom. Made some really excellent tackles, and even showed a great touch on his near miss towards the end. No glaring errors.

* 23 Dempsey (Johnson 87) - Fine as well, he ran tirelessly and pressured the D. He shoved a defender away from the play for seemingly no reason in the first half and was lucky the ref didn't notice. I think Dempsey is great but the amount of time he spends on the turf borders on comical. I wish he would stop trying to get fouls called and just play. Nothing to say about Eddie.

* 29 Davies (Riise 82) - Apart from the goal I thought he was pretty much annonymous, but you can't argue with a performance that includes a goal and a coupe of perfect corners that resulted in 2 more. Riise, unfortunately looked a bit out of his depth, he was pushed around and didn't really do much.

* 15 Kamara (Gera 63) - Just doesn't have confidence, seems very reluctant to shoot, had a near clear cut breakaway just before he was taken off and did nothing with it. The problem is, do we have anyone better at the moment? Gera showed a lot of energy and I thought he did alright.

Hope that helps!

The Bronsons

Dunno about sober, but:

1 Thank Christ for a win

2 Please Dempsey, we love you, but stop falling over, it's getting embarrassing

3 Song at the end: We're winning at home, we're winning at home - how poo must you be? - we're winning at home

4 Etuhu - I'm prepared to take it all back if he plays like that every week

5 Hangeland is the only player for ANY team who has the right to kiss to badge. Legend.

6 When EJ came on and all the crowd chanted Eddie, Eddie, WBA looked rattled. This could be EJ's role. He's the football equivalent of pushing all your chips into the middle in a poker game, holding 72. There's nothing to back it up but it looks bloody scary.

SmithyFFC

Quote from: The Bronsons on January 05, 2011, 12:06:26 AM

100% agree with that, when hes not scoring his on the ground.
FTID

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Nice evening not too cold and dry the cottage was not full but a good crowd.
Simon Davies was man of the match with Murphy a close second.  Dio had a good game and won most thing in the air, pressured the goalkeeper and generally made himself busy,    but Dempsey was not getting it .............................................Maybe a BIG BRAIN  can explain :  Is Dempsey lazy or is he poor at anticipation  ???     Dio header to the left, the right, in front and behind, but it did not seem to be quite the right ball  for Demps to chase or intercept.( I have no Clue, after tonight and WHL on Saturday I reckon if he had pockets in his shorts his hands would be in there .
Duff did a great job covering for the showboating Johnny ( but it was good to see Johnny's flicks and turns)  he Duff put a few balls astray  and the guys  next to me were calling him and Irish Lady - Part, :dft012: he looks like he is in pain

At half time two other Irish Lady -Parts  the Conway Brothers  :Sparkyticus: were introduced by Diddy  as most of the Hammersmith end had gone to get their coco they missed them ..........................there is a night for Jimmy (maybe it's for both )at the Cottage tomorrow night ,it's been sold out for sometime
We did a bit of singing from the off .............. the Baggies were not in great voice,  like they usually are, there was a good crowd of them.

Lous Saha always did it and Hangeland  does it ............but  Dempsey never does ..
What is it ?????

three fecken Points  coooooooooooooooooooooool  :clap_hands:

YankeeJim

Enough of this crying about Dempsey spending to much time on the ground. As long as he scores, he can take a bloody nap in the center circle for all I care. He falls and flops and leads the squad in scoring ...again! Give it a rest.  :dead horse:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: YankeeJim on January 05, 2011, 03:04:07 AM
Enough of this crying about Dempsey spending to much time on the ground. As long as he scores, he can take a bloody nap in the center circle for all I care. He falls and flops and leads the squad in scoring ...again! Give it a rest.  :dead horse:

I'm with you there Jim. I watched the game live on the box here in Asia. He's playing out of position, gets untold kicks and knocks, gets more blackeyes than Whitney Houston, scores, works his arse off and never complains when subbed. Model pro.

nevzter

Quote from: stevehawkinslidingtackle on January 05, 2011, 05:46:35 AM
Enough of this crying about Dempsey spending to much time on the ground. As long as he scores, he can take a bloody nap in the center circle for all I care. He falls and flops and leads the squad in scoring ...again! Give it a rest.  :dead horse:

I'm with you there Jim. I watched the game live on the box here in Asia. He's playing out of position, gets untold kicks and knocks, gets more blackeyes than Whitney Houston, scores, works his arse off and never complains when subbed. Model pro.

The all 'he's on the pitch all the time' comments are for a laugh - at least for me.  The man gets his ass handed to him every match because he isn't a lead striker - yet plays that role competently for Fulham (funny enough, I never see Bobby Brown in his vicinity though  :011:) - granted, sometimes he goes down a little too easy - but that's only because the CB knocked him sideways the prior play without a call.  Most importantly - he scores...sometimes his performance needs to be called out - however, I believe today isn't that day.
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

Tom

Enough of this crying about Dempsey spending to much time on the ground. As long as he scores, he can take a bloody nap in the center circle for all I care. He falls and flops and leads the squad in scoring ...again! Give it a rest.  :dead horse:
+1  Feck the complainers, whiners and Debbie downers! Do these idiots realize he is the heart and soul of the team? He gives it his all and you can't say that about many players.
Fulham for life!

MJG

First Half hour was like the West Ham game and we dominated with the ball but only had one real shot on target while they had a couple of long range efforts which Stockdale saved well.
I dont think we were really under that much pressure at any time in the game and thought WBA were quite poor and any chances we gave them nearly always came from our own mistakes.

Thought every player put a shift in, thought Kamara worked hard with out any luck and we are a different team with him running around like a school kid up front.
It does seem as Hughes has now got the balance right with regards the team defending like it has done in the last couple of years(two banks of four) and getting the ball forward quicker, where as earlier in the season it was all too much too soon. Also i'm happy to see this "old" bunch of players still show they have something to offer.
All in all the result we needed, but we are still not out the woods and there is a long way to go and we need to keep up this kind of form in the games that matter most.

White Noise

Thanks for these guys.

Sparky was saying after the game that Hangeland probably thinks himself unlucky not to have had a hattrick.  :Sparkyticus:

ImperialWhite

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on January 05, 2011, 12:19:06 AM
Quote from: The Bronsons on January 05, 2011, 12:06:26 AM

100% agree with that, when hes not scoring his on the ground.

Whether it's diving or he's genuinely being fouled, he earns us a hell of a lot of free kicks.

BalDrick

Had I not stayed up till tea in the cricket after getting home, I might have been able to offer something...

Three goals, all of which we'd have been furious over if we'd conceded, 1 an eminently savable shot from outside the box and 2 headers from corners, gave us 3 much-needed points as well as a realisation that we really oughtn't to be worrying about relegation because there are a fair few sides considerably worse than us. If the Black Country derby next season isn't a Championship fixture, there will have been miracles worked in the Midlands over the next few months.

Fulham look to have shrugged off efforts to play to Hughes' style and instead reverted to a rather poor imitation of the way we played under Hodgson. Paintsil was noticeably poor at times. Stockdale did a fine job and, whilst we all await Schwarzer coming home asap (maybe get Mitchell Johnson in to ensure an early return?), it didn't look to me like Hughes will need to be looking at bringing Shay Given or Paul Robinson (why didn't he play for Blackburn the other day? And how poo was his replacement) this month.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

supersub

Can't agree about Stockdale looking shaky or Pantsil looking poor. I thought Stockdale had an excellent game - made some crucial saves in the first half and I was particularly impressed by a leap in the second half to catch a high cross (corner?). I have no fears about him standing in for Schwarzer.

Pantsil, to me, looked class and I can't understand why he spent so long out of the team. A couple of times I thought he was going to do something risky, but each time he pulled it off in style, making the West Brom player look stupid as he played the ball past him. And what about that overhead clearance from in front of the goal? What a guy!

My only disappointment was that we didn't hit them harder when we were three up. The body language after that third goal went in showed that they were down and out. But we seemed to back off and let them come at us a bit after that. Maybe, given how important goal difference might be this year, we should have been a bit more ruthless.