watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

AJ Out Of Cup Game With Hamstring Injury

Started by White Noise, January 05, 2011, 07:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/01/04/fulham-striker-andy-johnson-hit-by-injury-setback-82029-27934406/

Fulham striker Andy Johnson hit by injury setback

Jan 4 2011

By Jacob Murtagh

Andy Johnson

ANDY Johnson will miss Saturday's FA Cup clash with Peterborough after picking up a hamstring injury.

Scans revealed the former England international has suffered a grade one tear, which kept him out of the victory against West Brom.

And Fulham boss Mark Hughes expects to be without him for another week.

He said: "AJ's had a couple of games in close succession and felt some tightness in his hamstring.

"He could've played [against West Brom] but it was too risky. If he tears it worse he could be out for five or six weeks.

"But with a grade one tear you're looking at between eight and 10 days."

Tom

That's to bad. I was wondering why he didn't make the squad last night.
Fulham for life!

FatFreddysCat

Wow who would have thought that Cotton wool would get injured again ?  :046: . I hope De la Valle or Rodney get at least a place on the bench, plus i sould imagine Briggs (is he fit again?) will come in at Lb.

Tom

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on January 05, 2011, 08:06:20 AM
Wow who would have thought that Cotton wool would get injured again ?  :046: . I hope De la Valle or Rodney get at least a place on the bench, plus i sould imagine Briggs (is he fit again?) will come in at Lb.
Freddy, I think Briggs is still at least 2 weeks away from returning.
Fulham for life!

Blingo

We should be thinking about moving him on. He is too much of a liability.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Blingo on January 05, 2011, 08:15:29 AM
Who would take a well past it lost his pace £40k a week sick note? .......... Hold on just had Hull on the phone .

Tom

I have been saying that for a while. He is what we call here in the U.S. a china doll.
Fulham for life!

Tom

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on January 05, 2011, 08:21:33 AM
Who would take a well past it lost his pace £40k a week sick note? .......... Hold on just had Hull on the phone .
:011: :011: :011:
Fulham for life!

ScalleysDad

Shame in a way as I might have put 20p each way with all fingers crossed that he might have scored on saturday. With Murph not playing he might have got in the queue for a penalty if we were four nil up. Now the old ' match sharpness, forwards need goals to feed confidence' nonsense will be spun out for another couple of weeks.

BalDrick

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on January 05, 2011, 08:21:33 AM

Very good!

Now the old ' match sharpness, forwards need goals to feed confidence' nonsense will be spun out for another couple of weeks.

Exactly - he's a waste of space and a huge drain on the wage bill. Had we found someone stupid enough to want him, they'll have changed their mind after he's picked up another injury. Not his fault, nor Roy's, but an expensive signing from whom we've had very little return.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

LBNo11

...had AJ been fit last night I very much doubt we would have scored 3 goals, perhaps we would have still won but the rest of the team had the freedom to create their own opportunities without having to work around the one target man.

Sadly I think he takes away more than he brings...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: LBNo11 on January 05, 2011, 10:57:52 AM
...had AJ been fit last night I very much doubt we would have scored 3 goals, perhaps we would have still won but the rest of the team had the freedom to create their own opportunities without having to work around the one target man.

Thats unfair for me since we were not exactly creating chance after chance with wonderful flowing football. Our goals came from set pieces and a bit of luck.

We still have some way to go in an attacking sense to get things right but a new big, powerful striker should sort that out.

BalDrick

'Sadly I think he takes away more than he brings...'

I think this might be a tad strong but he does bring very little, no doubt about that. While we're on the subject of useless strikers, how poor was Kamara?
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

finnster01

Mr Ed,
I think you are spot on. This is his third season at Fulham, and he has scored a grand total of 7 goals in the Prem, all of which came in the first season. That is well over a million quid per league goal. Top that with the fact that he has made 11 league apperances this season (and so has EJ too by the way) with a big fat Zero to show for it in the goals department.

11 appearances is more than enough to shake off any rust (it is nearly a third of a season for crying out load), injuries or no injuries, he is nothing short of a Fulham flop for 10 million and 40K a week.  :046:  

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: finnster01 on January 05, 2011, 11:08:09 AM

Mr Ed,
I think you are spot on. This is his third season at Fulham, and he has scored a grand total of 7 goals in the Prem, all of which came in the first season. That is well over a million quid per league goal. Top that with the fact that he has made 11 league apperances this season (and so has EJ too by the way) with a big fat Zero to show for it in the goals department.

11 appearances is more than enough to shake off any rust (it is nearly a third of a season for crying out load), injuries or no injuries, he is nothing short of a Fulham flop for 10 million and 40K a week.  :046:  

How slanted Finnster. He came in and gave us the goals when Bobby Z was misfiring (and was everyone's public enemy no.1) to get us to 7th, otherwise known as our highest ever finish.

He then started the following season brightly before being poleaxed and then suffering a near career ending injury which pretty much wiped out his whole second year.

This season he has come back and although has not played that well but has been present in several of our best performances and appears to be getting better (in my mind). He is playing without a recognised target man (which everyone agrees completely changes the way we play) usually on his own up front. He will never be the player he once was, and he was definitely not worth the £7-£10m we got him for, but I think he will come good when paired with a target man up front, which hopefully will be soon.

Burt

AJ is more of a sick note than I have been recently. And I'm not paid £40k a week for the privilege...

I've got to say that reading the posts below I have to side more with the "move him on" camp.

I was euphoric when we signed him, but since then he has desparately under-delivered. I know he has had his injuries etc. but I am afraid that is now part of his make-up. He is past his best and I doubt he will ever be the full ticket again. Even when he has been fit for the last few matches whilst he has looked sharp it seemed to be more a case of looking busy but not delivering what he is paid to do (score goals).

Sad to say, but that's my opinion now, and apologies if it sounds a bit harsh.

LordNelson

A real dilemna is going to be when Zamora gets fit & ready.  If you recall, the tandem of Johnson & Zamora didn't produce diddly-squat.  Was is just coincidence that Zamora really began to shine once AJ got injured?
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

ImperialWhite

Quote from: BalDrick on January 05, 2011, 11:05:00 AM
'Sadly I think he takes away more than he brings...'

I think this might be a tad strong but he does bring very little, no doubt about that. While we're on the subject of useless strikers, how poor was Kamara?

Oh yes. Lost count of the number of times he contrived to squander a half chance by dribbling it out of the box and losing possession.

RE: AJ, is it not the case that, statistically, he's now worse than Marlet?

Lighthouse

But we need an alternative. It is all very well being rude about AJ,EJ etc but until we can bring in better forwards, AJ is the best we have.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Whiteroom

I think that AJ has been adding more and more to our performances. Yes he hasn't scored, but he has contributed. I also think that he has been looking better and better. Its a shame he is not 100% again, but I don't think there is a man out there more frustrated than him.