watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

England v Spain

Started by H4usuallysitting, July 20, 2022, 09:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

First half was very much Spain's and they were unfortunate not to have a comfortable lead.  England improved with the changes after the break and Russo made a big difference to the attack and could consider herself unlucky not to get a penalty for a very clear elbow in the back which VAR, predictably, missed or just 'overlooked'.  Toone's goal made all the difference to the game with England realising that Spain were vulnerable under pressure.  Stanway's shot was long overdue but welcome.   

England need to improve for their semi-final and with Sarina Wiegman being back on the job the motivation to play positive attacking football should return. 

fulhamfever

Quote from: hovewhite on July 21, 2022, 07:48:58 AM
An enjoyable match the first I've seen a packed stadium and the girls showed some balls.think the semis will be easier and we are the winners outright.thanks filham

Glad you enjoyed it lad. Great result too England need to bring home this trophy be a great achievement.

bobby01

Quote from: toshes mate on July 21, 2022, 08:51:26 AM
First half was very much Spain's and they were unfortunate not to have a comfortable lead.  England improved with the changes after the break and Russo made a big difference to the attack and could consider herself unlucky not to get a penalty for a very clear elbow in the back which VAR, predictably, missed or just 'overlooked'.  Toone's goal made all the difference to the game with England realising that Spain were vulnerable under pressure.  Stanway's shot was long overdue but welcome.   

England need to improve for their semi-final and with Sarina Wiegman being back on the job the motivation to play positive attacking football should return.

Totally agree with this assessment.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

ALG01

Quote from: Holders on July 21, 2022, 08:15:13 AM
England just didn't seem to come alive until they went behind. Perhaps Spain switched off a bit but they must be kicking themselves for letting it slip. It was bold going for that winner. If she'd missed she'd have been criticised for not passing it.

WoM: I rather rated our goalkeeper who was assured and came for crosses, in contrast to many male keepers.

I agree with all your comments. It seemed to me that was a classic case of England not giving in and clinging on when it wasn't going well AND when spain got to the last few minutes they showed the kind of arrogance that they thought the job was done... there was a moment about 10 from the end when I thought we still have a chance the spanish attitude has changed and it could work in our favour... hard to put in to exact words.......   IIn any event the lesson for all of us is, never give in, play to the end. Great spectacle.

clarkey

I think the Men's game could easily learn from this match. There was some gamesmanship but very little dissent. Ref's decisions taken.

And no spitting at all. Why when cyclists, athletes, snooker players, rugby players all manage to play televised sport without gobbing all over the place can the spoilt brats who play footie not do the same. Prem league should act, it puts people off watching and so do the histrionics. Clamp down on them.Clean the sport up, its 2022 not 1722

Stoneleigh Loyalist

It was interesting particularly in the first half how superior the Spanish girls ball control skills were and technique.
At times it was as if the ball was glued to their boots rather than half a touch away as with the English girls.
This was rather like our Benfica game where the same applied.
The continental Latin temperament can let them down but we can still rely on the old style physicality when the chips are down. Play acting has gradually crept into to the women's game by all sides and is never nice.
Overall the improvement in standards of the women's game is clear to see and with a right winger like Spain had they should have been out of sight in the first half.

Nero

Quote from: clarkey on July 21, 2022, 10:54:11 AM
I think the Men's game could easily learn from this match. There was some gamesmanship but very little dissent. Ref's decisions taken.

And no spitting at all. Why when cyclists, athletes, snooker players, rugby players all manage to play televised sport without gobbing all over the place can the spoilt brats who play footie not do the same. Prem league should act, it puts people off watching and so do the histrionics. Clamp down on them.Clean the sport up, its 2022 not 1722

Saw Georgia Stanway cough up a right lung full

Holders

Quote from: ALG01 on July 21, 2022, 10:24:44 AM
England just didn't seem to come alive until they went behind. Perhaps Spain switched off a bit but they must be kicking themselves for letting it slip. It was bold going for that winner. If she'd missed she'd have been criticised for not passing it.

WoM: I rather rated our goalkeeper who was assured and came for crosses, in contrast to many male keepers.

I agree with all your comments. It seemed to me that was a classic case of England not giving in and clinging on when it wasn't going well AND when spain got to the last few minutes they showed the kind of arrogance that they thought the job was done... there was a moment about 10 from the end when I thought we still have a chance the spanish attitude has changed and it could work in our favour... hard to put in to exact words.......   IIn any event the lesson for all of us is, never give in, play to the end. Great spectacle.

I thought that the substitutions were key in that respect. In fact the Spanish substitutions (with the one exception) seemed to be negative and couldn't be reversed when the equaliser went in. But overall they were technically better and that centre forward of theirs who came on at the end would have made a difference if she'd played from the beginning. Should do a lot for their confidence but there's some tough opposition in the offing - e.g. France.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I can't remember the match but it was during the past week when a female commentator said that in a previous match a certain player had been 'Man of the Match'.
I bet that the politically correct brigade were furious!

Twig

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on July 21, 2022, 12:52:13 PM
I can't remember the match but it was during the past week when a female commentator said that in a previous match a certain player had been 'Man of the Match'.

The politically correct brigade? I shouldn't think the woman concerned was overly chuffed!

ALG01

Quote from: Holders on July 21, 2022, 12:43:37 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on July 21, 2022, 10:24:44 AM

I thought that the substitutions were key in that respect. In fact the Spanish substitutions (with the one exception) seemed to be negative and couldn't be reversed when the equaliser went in. But overall they were technically better and that centre forward of theirs who came on at the end would have made a difference if she'd played from the beginning. Should do a lot for their confidence but there's some tough opposition in the offing - e.g. France.

all agreed and I amn looking forward to it.

ALG01

Quote from: Twig on July 21, 2022, 01:47:45 PM
Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on July 21, 2022, 12:52:13 PM

The politically correct brigade? I shouldn't think the woman concerned was overly chuffed!

I spotted last night one of the summarisers saying 'we need to get more men into the box.' Or was it 'flood more men into the box' either way it made me laugh.
I forgive everyone because in the excitment minor errors occur. I hope it does not become an issue.

bobbo

Quote from: clarkey on July 21, 2022, 10:54:11 AM

oh there was spitting I saw it twice and was a bit shocked coming from the young ladies.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

rebel

I think at times the England team tried to force, the issue, way too many loose passes, when they relaxed after the substitutions, they seemed more measured in their passing and construct.

rebel

Ian Wright used 'men' in his analysis, can't remember exactly, but he got away with it, I think it was a 'general' comment. Something like, 'you want your men ......................'.

Holders

The name of the species is Man, oft ignored. "Woman" comes from Old English wyf-man but still the same species.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Dr Quinzel

Top game. With Hermoso and Putellas, we may have lost however if Spain had those two, I doubt we'd have been playing them anyway. I went to both of their games at Brentford and ironically it was the player who scored last night who was probably their worse play in both of those. With their main ladies I'm sure they'd have won their group.

I thought Kelly looked really good when she came on. Great option off of the bench.

ffcne

rebel

Quote from: Holders on July 21, 2022, 03:54:19 PM
The name of the species is Man, oft ignored. "Woman" comes from Old English wyf-man but still the same species.

You'll appreciate this - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/dragon-man-fossil-skull-may-represent-new-human-species-in-china

Lighthouse

Watched every game in the Euros and found them entertaining. This childish pre occupation with what we call Women I hope doesn't go too far. Actors is a word used for any man or woman who acts. I am sure the same will apply to footballers. Using the term 'Men' in a generic way while talking about Women players I am sure will not make us swoon at the complex nature of the term.

In the same way as we now say 'Euros' without having to put term 'Women's' in front of it. Tennis, Sprints, Cricket is all becoming easier just to name the sport without signifying the gender of the participants.

When we get to the point when we have Women who used to be Men and visa versa then we can make a point of putting all the myriad of pronouns now needed. But for now let's not complicate things.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope