more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A worrying observation (CB position)

Started by Willham, August 25, 2022, 09:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfie

Quote from: Tabby on August 25, 2022, 03:04:17 PM
Silva has confirmed that Diop was one of the earliest targets for CB. But I'm sure that Tony, who apparently doesn't do anything other than wrestling, managed to sign him entirely on his own without any input from Silva.

The entire team was pants against Crawley. Hard to judge quality from such an omnishambles.
Who told you he signed him on his own, without any input from Silva?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Tabby

Quote from: alfie on August 25, 2022, 03:54:08 PM
Silva has confirmed that Diop was one of the earliest targets for CB. But I'm sure that Tony, who apparently doesn't do anything other than wrestling, managed to sign him entirely on his own without any input from Silva.

The entire team was pants against Crawley. Hard to judge quality from such an omnishambles.
Might want to read my comment again. Diop seems to clearly have been on Silvas wishlist, we can argue that Duffy was an opportunity signing but given how long we were trying to sign Diop I find it highly unlikely that it was against Silvas judgement.

perry geyton

Marco will have Diop working his socks off in training "Trust"
Don't expect to see him in the first team for a while though unless there's injuries

Lighthouse

The same could be said about any position that was occupied on Tuesday by a senior player. A worrying observation is they were all rather bad. But then (hoisted petticoats at the ready) it wasn't a game they cared that much about by the performance.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

alfie

Quote from: Tabby on August 25, 2022, 04:04:21 PM
Quote from: alfie on August 25, 2022, 03:54:08 PM

Might want to read my comment again. Diop seems to clearly have been on Silvas wishlist, we can argue that Duffy was an opportunity signing but given how long we were trying to sign Diop I find it highly unlikely that it was against Silvas judgement.
Not arguing but find it confusing when you say
"But I'm sure that Tony, who apparently doesn't do anything other than wrestling, managed to sign him entirely on his own without any input from Silva".

If I have misunderstood your comment then apologies.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

LittleErn

Quote from: MickTheBeard on August 25, 2022, 02:04:00 PM
Our wrestling manager has said at different times during this transfer window he said centre half and back up right back were players he was previously after which is a real worry,as people keep on about how he has improved at what.We are looking to replace long term teti injury prone also as he was cheap a 20pc transfer fee for them,also tosin no positioning sense also 1 yearleft turned down new contract and city have a 20pc transfer fee ,so who left has he bought to take us forward,perhaps a back up forward like the giant haystack or johny quango how you can defend him is beyond me .

What? Is your beard making it difficult to speak?

LittleErn

Quote from: Deeping_white on August 25, 2022, 12:27:48 PM
What other defenders are we being linked with exactly, other than a LB? This seems a slightly odd post in all honesty because you literally say "I wouldn't like to judge upon one game especially this early in their fulham career" and then speculate anyway? Neither CB had any help from the midfield so it was always going to be a tough game, and both lack match practice playing in Silva's system anyway. Take Cairney and Mbabu, both came on in the Brentford game and made a difference that ultimately won us the game and then looked poor against a League 2 team, it's not always the individuals entirely at fault

But surely judging is not the same as speculating? If we weren't able to speculate there wouldn't be much point in this board.

filham

Surely before spending £15m on a player scouts reports and stats are checked and Silva's opinion taken into account in order to make it near impossible to sign a dud.

Lets hope Diop just needs to get fit but then again if fitness was the problem I am surprised Silva let him take the field against Crawley.

Deeping_white

Quote from: LittleErn on August 25, 2022, 04:55:17 PM
What other defenders are we being linked with exactly, other than a LB? This seems a slightly odd post in all honesty because you literally say "I wouldn't like to judge upon one game especially this early in their fulham career" and then speculate anyway? Neither CB had any help from the midfield so it was always going to be a tough game, and both lack match practice playing in Silva's system anyway. Take Cairney and Mbabu, both came on in the Brentford game and made a difference that ultimately won us the game and then looked poor against a League 2 team, it's not always the individuals entirely at fault

But surely judging is not the same as speculating? If we weren't able to speculate there wouldn't be much point in this board.

There's speculating and then there's doing mental gymnastics of trying to make some sort of sort of point that our manager has assessed both CB's in training and doesn't trust them, based off absolutely nothing at all. It's just part of the wider trend we get when we lose games where people decide to play 4D chess in their heads and start seeing things that aren't there, which is where my comment is coming from on this particular post

LittleErn

Quote from: Deeping_white on August 25, 2022, 05:06:51 PM

There's speculating and then there's doing mental gymnastics of trying to make some sort of sort of point that our manager has assessed both CB's in training and doesn't trust them, based off absolutely nothing at all. It's just part of the wider trend we get when we lose games where people decide to play 4D chess in their heads and start seeing things that aren't there, which is where my comment is coming from on this particular post

Fairy snuff Deeping. Apology accepted.😇  I agree with your main point that "Neither CB had any help from the midfield so it was always going to be a tough game, and both lack match practice playing in Silva's system anyway. Take Cairney and Mbabu, both came on in the Brentford game and made a difference that ultimately won us the game and then looked poor against a League 2 team, it's not always the individuals entirely at fault" Call it a draw?

Arthur

Quote from: Willham on August 25, 2022, 09:59:43 AM
With 2 CBs playing well but with question marks over their ability in this league, (One more than the other) and no backup we knew we needed 2 CBs brought in.

We have done this with Diop and Duffy, which I thought were decent enough choices, Diop should push to become a key player while Duffy is good backup for either tosin or ream.

While Duffy and Diop conceded two against Crawley, I wouldn't like to judge upon one game especially this early in their fulham career, but to add plenty of speculation linking us to other defenders, it does make me question whether silva has assessed these players in training and doesn't feel their up to scratch.

Very scared silva is not convinced of these two.

The only reason I can find for your 'worrying observation', is, since signing Diop, there has been 'plenty of speculation linking us to other defenders'.

What constitutes 'plenty' is, of course, a subjective judgment - and I did read a media story that linked us to a Danish centre-back in the days immediately after we acquired Diop. But I'm not aware of any further speculation regarding centre-backs since. If I've missed something, perhaps you can enlighten me as to whom the speculation has been about.

As it stands, I'm struggling to identify the substance for your being 'very scared' that Silva has already seen enough of Diop to not rate him. Has our manager said anything that implies this? Otherwise, to react so strongly to a link in the media (and one of dubious accuracy, at that) staggers me.

Deeping_white

Quote from: LittleErn on August 25, 2022, 05:25:25 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on August 25, 2022, 05:06:51 PM

Fairy snuff Deeping. Apology accepted.😇  I agree with your main point that "Neither CB had any help from the midfield so it was always going to be a tough game, and both lack match practice playing in Silva's system anyway. Take Cairney and Mbabu, both came on in the Brentford game and made a difference that ultimately won us the game and then looked poor against a League 2 team, it's not always the individuals entirely at fault" Call it a draw?

Draw it is👍

Willham

:blow candles:
Quote from: Arthur on August 25, 2022, 05:37:45 PM
Quote from: Willham on August 25, 2022, 09:59:43 AM
With 2 CBs playing well but with question marks over their ability in this league, (One more than the other) and no backup we knew we needed 2 CBs brought in.

We have done this with Diop and Duffy, which I thought were decent enough choices, Diop should push to become a key player while Duffy is good backup for either tosin or ream.

While Duffy and Diop conceded two against Crawley, I wouldn't like to judge upon one game especially this early in their fulham career, but to add plenty of speculation linking us to other defenders, it does make me question whether silva has assessed these players in training and doesn't feel their up to scratch.

Very scared silva is not convinced of these two.

The only reason I can find for your 'worrying observation', is, since signing Diop, there has been 'plenty of speculation linking us to other defenders'.

What constitutes 'plenty' is, of course, a subjective judgment - and I did read a media story that linked us to a Danish centre-back in the days immediately after we acquired Diop. But I'm not aware of any further speculation regarding centre-backs since. If I've missed something, perhaps you can enlighten me as to whom the speculation has been about.

As it stands, I'm struggling to identify the substance for your being 'very scared' that Silva has already seen enough of Diop to not rate him. Has our manager said anything that implies this? Otherwise, to react so strongly to a link in the media (and one of dubious accuracy, at that) staggers me.

You only need to Google us to find a plethora of defenders now linked, and I hadnt seen any cb links straight after Diop, I'm glad you had though, that does ease my concern. So many of the links in papers are untrue anyway, or so I believe.

The concern comes from seeing lots of linking stories online linking us to centre backs appearing then only one playing 3 mins, then both being played with the second, even third choicers.

2 new centre backs should been plenty

The Rational Fan

The £15m for Diop is gone, he maybe worth more or he maybe worth less. Whatever he is worth, let's get behind him so that he is motivated to produce the best football of career in what should be his peak years from 25 to 30 years. If he delivers the best he can, then I cannot ask any more than that. I think we overpaid West Ham a little, which is not his fault. I am totally behind him until the day he leaves.

Arthur

Quote from: Willham on August 26, 2022, 06:26:22 AM
Quote from: Arthur on August 25, 2022, 05:37:45 PM

You only need to Google us to find a plethora of defenders now linked, and I hadnt seen any cb links straight after Diop, I'm glad you had though, that does ease my concern. So many of the links in papers are untrue anyway, or so I believe.

The concern comes from seeing lots of linking stories online linking us to centre backs appearing then only one playing 3 mins, then both being played with the second, even third choicers.

2 new centre backs should been plenty

'2 new centre backs should (have) been plenty'.

If and when we sign a third, therefore, you can start to worry about Diop or Duffy.

I replied in good faith first time around. I can tell now you're stringing me along.

RaySmith

Sems ridiculous to judge new signings on one game, in a makeshift team in a League Cup game,
which Silva and the club obviously hadn't prioritized, for obvious reasons, though still wanting to win, of course.

All new signings need a decent chance to show  what they can do.

filham

Considering the number of centre back failures we have signed since Hangeland and Hughes retired it could be there is a hoodo on that position.

RaySmith

Diop and Duffy could turn out to be top signing under Silva.

Are cb's, being  big men, in a position involving a lot of physicality - jumping for headers, blocking, etc., more likely to get long term injuries; though, conversely, many never seem to get injured - because they don't run about much?

Willham

[/quote]
I replied in good faith first time around. I can tell now you're stringing me along.
[/quote]

I'm sorry you feel that way, I'm only expressing something I feel, and it's not the full picture of my thoughts on the squad, im very happy overall, I only posted before the Brentford game that it's lovely having confidence in the team come Saturdays, last few times in the premier league has been very frustrating and I'd be tense during match days, this hasn't to be so far this season, we've looked a quality side.

So I'm real sorry you think I'm stringing you along, I was trying to find some ease for concern, which some have given,

I'm unsure why you feel I'm stringing you along, just trying to convey emotion

..FOF..

Quote from: Stephen Kelly on August 25, 2022, 12:55:44 PM
?t=GSO4y3-topjncD7UNMx8Qg&s=09

It wasn't  a very inspiring performance though

a slow jog.... in our box.