watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A worrying observation (CB position)

Started by Willham, August 25, 2022, 09:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willham

With 2 CBs playing well but with question marks over their ability in this league, (One more than the other) and no backup we knew we needed 2 CBs brought in.

We have done this with Diop and Duffy, which I thought were decent enough choices, Diop should push to become a key player while Duffy is good backup for either tosin or ream.

While Duffy and Diop conceded two against Crawley, I wouldn't like to judge upon one game especially this early in their fulham career, but to add plenty of speculation linking us to other defenders, it does make me question whether silva has assessed these players in training and doesn't feel their up to scratch.

Very scared silva is not convinced of these two.

Andy S

You are criticising without having any facts.

hovewhite

Think Silva is not convinced as not upto standard of the other players we have bought in.im hoping they prove me and Silva wrong.

Willham

Quote from: Andy S on August 25, 2022, 10:04:56 AM

Where have I criticised?

I have literally said a worrying observation?

Its an observation which I feel is valid? If you feel my observation isn't valid then very well but I feel its valid and worrying me a little.

At no point have I said I think the players aren't up to scratch or anything? If anything I believe them personally to be good signings but seeing us linked with many other defenders and silva playing them in a game with no other senior players, makes me worry the manager doesn't have the same idea as me?

This is an observation not criticism?

Whitestone

I understand your concerns but it wasn't Diop and Duffy who conceded the goals. It was Rodak. But more to the point it was very poor performance by the whole team. Certainly not one or two individuals. I feel I can say that because I was at the game. As far as Diop is goes I was concerned that he might not be what we need when the links to him first started. I watched him play for West Ham against Kidderminster Harriers. He was woeful, so much do that he was replaced at half time. He's clearly not match fit at the moment so I'm hoping that Silva and his coaches can get him back to the level that he was at when at his best for West Ham.

Willham

Quote from: Andy S on August 25, 2022, 10:04:56 AM

Also if you do have different ideas, or a different observation, please share, I'm all for a better outlook

ron

There's a fair bit of "Thank goodness he's gone" sentiment regarding Diop flying about the West Ham sites, which causes a bit of concern with me anyway.... Suggestions that we got "rinsed" by paying what we did doesn't do much for confidence.

Steve Marlet et al come to mind.

JimmyConway

Or could it be neither were Silva's choice but more a case of this is all we can get take it or leave it? I would hope that was not the case but this Fulham and The Forbidden Door we are talking about and there is History of this.

Deeping_white

What other defenders are we being linked with exactly, other than a LB? This seems a slightly odd post in all honesty because you literally say "I wouldn't like to judge upon one game especially this early in their fulham career" and then speculate anyway? Neither CB had any help from the midfield so it was always going to be a tough game, and both lack match practice playing in Silva's system anyway. Take Cairney and Mbabu, both came on in the Brentford game and made a difference that ultimately won us the game and then looked poor against a League 2 team, it's not always the individuals entirely at fault

Stephen Kelly

?t=GSO4y3-topjncD7UNMx8Qg&s=09

It wasn't  a very inspiring performance though

Hatch007

Quote from: Willham on August 25, 2022, 10:10:54 AM
At no point have I said I think the players aren't up to scratch or anything? If anything I believe them personally to be good signings but seeing us linked with many other defenders and silva playing them in a game with no other senior players, makes me worry the manager doesn't have the same idea as me?
Rodak, Mbabu, Bryan, Cairney and Chalobah are not senior players? 🧐

Fernhurst

Yes, not enough time to checkout his personality, certainly didn't give his all Tuesday.
We need to rely on MS to straighten him out or he will be sitting with our two other redundant forwards.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

@jolslover

Quote from: ron on August 25, 2022, 12:22:18 PM
There's a fair bit of "Thank goodness he's gone" sentiment regarding Diop flying about the West Ham sites, which causes a bit of concern with me anyway.... Suggestions that we got "rinsed" by paying what we did doesn't do much for confidence.

Steve Marlet et al come to mind.

Yeah but similar comments made about Pereira by Man United fans .. Celtic fans about Johansen .. etc

Doesn't mean much - although would be better if they were sad to see him go

I would add that most West Ham fans I've spoken to agree there is a player there somewhere
STH H3

Jim©

Quote from: @jolslover on August 25, 2022, 01:42:35 PM

Yeah but similar comments made about Pereira by Man United fans .. Celtic fans about Johansen .. etc

Very true- the two best examples I can think of (where mates went out of their way to laugh) was Boa and Zamora. Both were exceptional signings in the end.

MickTheBeard

Our wrestling manager has said at different times during this transfer window he said centre half and back up right back were players he was previously after which is a real worry,as people keep on about how he has improved at what.We are looking to replace long term teti injury prone also as he was cheap a 20pc transfer fee for them,also tosin no positioning sense also 1 yearleft turned down new contract and city have a 20pc transfer fee ,so who left has he bought to take us forward,perhaps a back up forward like the giant haystack or johny quango how you can defend him is beyond me .

fcfulham55

Diop looked woeful against a league 2 side.  That's definitely a worry.

Duffy looks capable of putting in a shift, one of the few players that looked ok Tuesday.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Carborundum

Diop had no pre season at West Ham.  If he played like a drain against Crawley, that's hardly a surprise.  I dont go to pre season games partly because lots of the players are short of where they should be.  There's just no substitute for playing competitive minutes.  But they quickly get it back.  Wouldn't worry unduly about him.

Tabby

Silva has confirmed that Diop was one of the earliest targets for CB. But I'm sure that Tony, who apparently doesn't do anything other than wrestling, managed to sign him entirely on his own without any input from Silva.

The entire team was pants against Crawley. Hard to judge quality from such an omnishambles.

Healey Chapman

Astounding that people on here are knocking Diop and Duffy after one game. The same people that were knocking Ream and Tosin when we were being thrashed in a pre -season friendly ? Its actually pathetic how these idiots expect two defenders who have hardly played recently or played together EVER to gel and be excellent immediately. Crawley were massively up for this in the same way we were up for Liverpool . I suppose Virgil van Dyk is now a terrible player too ?

hkfulham

Take a listen to the latest Fulhamish podcast.  Haangeland makes it very clear that match experience of a CB pairing is the most important thing for a good partnership (other than skill, obviously).  Or you could listen to some gronks on internet forums that somehow know what it takes to be a Premier League CB.  Up to you. 

Give them time, it's the least they deserve.