watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Steve Earle

Started by LittleErn, August 31, 2022, 04:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleErn

Good to see the interview with Steve. I watched him many times. He says he wasn't a great player just good at scoring goals! He scored 108 in 327 games. I suppose by comparison with the greats he played alongside he wasn't quite as outstanding as Haynes, Leggat, Clarke, Robson, Mullery etc. but he was the reason that, for the only time in my life, I was moved to invade the pitch at Northampton when his hat trick kept us up. It was a game that we had to win to stay up and 4-2 sounds comfortable but it wasn't! I was behind the goal where he scored the last 2 goals which made the game safe. they both came in the last two minutes and the relief was palpable.

AJW48361

Always associate Earle,Barrett,& Conway together what tremendous players they were for FFC.How the hell did they play in the old Division 3.I will never know.

JimmyConway

I liked Earle good player for us. Seemed to have a new centre forward partner every season back then. My only slight gripe is the way he left to go to Leicester at the time? Saying that it's par for the course now but back then if memory serves me right it caused a bit of uproar from the faithful. Do remember a game when he returned when he was constantly booed by the home fans.

ealex40

Quote from: LittleErn on August 31, 2022, 04:31:31 PM
Good to see the interview with Steve. I watched him many times. He says he wasn't a great player just good at scoring goals! He scored 108 in 327 games. I suppose by comparison with the greats he played alongside he wasn't quite as outstanding as Haynes, Leggat, Clarke, Robson, Mullery etc. but he was the reason that, for the only time in my life, I was moved to invade the pitch at Northampton when his hat trick kept us up. It was a game that we had to win to stay up and 4-2 sounds comfortable but it wasn't! I was behind the goal where he scored the last 2 goals which made the game safe. they both came in the last two minutes and the relief was palpable.

I drove all the way from my home in Birmingham, to watch the match. Couldn't get in! It was a sellout record crowd, so I drove back just in time to get the score on Sports Report at 5pm. 049:gif

sunburywhite

Quote from: ealex40 on August 31, 2022, 04:56:16 PM
Quote from: LittleErn on August 31, 2022, 04:31:31 PM

I drove all the way from my home in Birmingham, to watch the match. Couldn't get in! It was a sellout record crowd, so I drove back just in time to get the score on Sports Report at 5pm. 049:gif

My dad took me to that game

Wasnt one of the goals run in from the half way line?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Mince n Tatties

Great player Steve was.

bog

I liked Steve. I saw his hat trick at Northampton in the 65/66 season in a 2-4. He got 8 in two away games when we were in div 3. 5 at Halifax 3 at at Stockport which I also saw.  A very elegant player. :54: 

Motspur Park

Steve Earle was fantastic.

Funny thing is I can name the players of the early 70s more easily than perhaps any other period. Mellor, Cutbush, Lacey, Howe, Strong,  Earle, Conway, Lloyd, Slough, Mitchell, Busby. Of course, there may have been some players overlapping in the years and others came and left like Warboys, Maybank, Mullery, Moore, Fraser etc. but, with the frequent changes now, I find it much harder to remember players of 5 years ago than remembering the 70s and 80s

Zendra

Remember those  two DIV 3 years very well . Conway , Earle and Barratt were a class above the DIV 3 cloggers that most teams we played had in defence . We had a poor run in Nov and Dec in the first season   but the 8-0 win at Halifax  got  us confident of eventual promotion .We came 4th in the end and got  promoted  in the 2nd year . Vic Halom was another useful forward , Webster and Seymour  in goal . Haynes last season at FFC.

filham

Steve Earle was class with pace  and that Barrat, Earle, Conway attack was so sweet.
I too was at the Northampton match, a great result that lead to a Great Escape.

Ronnief

I was gutted when Steve left to go to Leicester. My faith in him was restored when he sat behind me at Wembly for the FA cup final and was obviously supporting Fulham. 

Dodger53

Conway, Earle, Barratt my early heroes

bobbo

I was also at the 2-4 game at Northampton drove there in my old fiat 600 wish I still had it worth a nice few quid now. But it's about Steve Earle he go plenty of goals for sure but I can remember many occasions getting frustrated with him missing simple chances . One of my close workmates was his best man .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

bog

I think it was the season after Steve left for Leicester we got to Wembley. Where is his interview?

Woolly Mammoth

The Earle of Fulham, i can remember his 5 goals at Halifax Town as though it was yesterday.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

Quote from: AJW48361 on August 31, 2022, 04:43:12 PM
Always associate Earle,Barrett,& Conway together what tremendous players they were for FFC.How the hell did they play in the old Division 3.I will never know.

0001.jpeg

Andy S

The Tanoy is awful in H6 I wish they could repeat the interviews on the web site. I'm sure they would be popular. Poor old steve looked a little wobbly on his legs I'm sorry to say but it was good to see him again

Dodger53

Quote from: Andy S on September 01, 2022, 09:44:37 AM
The Tanoy is awful in H6 I wish they could repeat the interviews on the web site. I'm sure they would be popular. Poor old steve looked a little wobbly on his legs I'm sorry to say but it was good to see him again
I am in H6 and couldn't hear a word but it is on the website. Talking of stuff on websites, Brightons has free extended highlights and bees has whole games and interviews free. We have pay wall even for press conference you can watch free on sky site.

StuinSalop

I still have the full pull out page from one of the Sundays, Headline 'Earle is prince at Craven Cottage'.  Loved the guy.

bog

Just saw Steve's interview. Got quite emotional at the times he recalled.  Same age as me but Steve's in better condition and has more hair! Should have mentioned his 5 at Halifax. Good luck Steve.   :54: