Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

Quote from: ChesterTheTabby on October 01, 2022, 04:22:17 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on October 01, 2022, 04:16:24 PM
Quote from: ChesterTheTabby on October 01, 2022, 04:06:24 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on October 01, 2022, 03:59:39 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on October 01, 2022, 03:57:10 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on October 01, 2022, 03:55:28 PM
Ah didn't realise the OP knows better than the manager, see you on the touchline next week!

Its not just the OP fella. I'd love to seen a poll on the match prediction before and after the lineup announcement.

And I quote "Marco's decision to play Chalobah, as was plain to see, was giving up any points and asking for a loss." - because Silva really thought "f*ck it I don't have Palhinha so we might as well lose this week". Give your head a wobble ffs

Oy, gave it a wobble, and here's a random thought that would have been better - Reed/Ream/Diop/Duffy at CDM (or play five at the back), Cairney CM, Andreas CAM. NO CHALOBAH.

No manager is going to compromise their entire system by playing a player out of position in the Premier League, or randomly adopt a never tried formation before

Playing Chalobah is the exact same as playing a player out of position, as he can't play his position at all. Playing Chalobah is compromising the entire system.

Haha fair point.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: perry geyton on October 01, 2022, 04:20:57 PM
Also how comes Stansfield doesn't get a look in over that donkey we are now playing up front ?

Because he is on loan at Exeter City.

Palhinha Colada

All the attention is rightly on Chalobah but our system has been heavily reliant on our fullbacks being able to defend 1 v 1 and it completely breaks down with our backups in, neither of whom look like they can defend a lick.

Twig

Quote from: Deeping_white on October 01, 2022, 03:55:28 PM
Ah didn't realise the OP knows better than the manager, see you on the touchline next week!

I don't understand your childish sarcasm. The alternative midfield being suggested is perfectly sensible and would have been my preference too. Not claiming to know more than Silva but ido think he has a line spot where Chalobah is concerned.  The guy is hapless.

WindyCity

I'm not unreasonably angry with MS's team selection.  He does have hands tied with unavailable key players.  That said.....

I am REASONABLY ANGRY with Mitrovic.  It looks like he picked up yet another yellow, apparently for yapping at the ref.  I think most, if not all, of his yellows this year (and past seasons) is for mouthing off with the ref.  I'm sorry, but he needs to be more of a team leader in this regard, and realize how important he is to this teams' success.  Needs to keep his mouth zipped and avoid such unnecessary cards which may eventually result in suspension.  He is too important to this team!

Fulham 442

Sorry but I do think Marco got it wrong today.  He should have kept Ream at LB and played Diop alongside Tosin....we were under the cosh from kick off.  Chalobah, who I don't rate anyway, got sent off in under ten minutes which didn't help matters....A very bad day at the office for sure...

terryr

I was at the game today
The red was a straight red, no question. The replay they showed at half time was brutal. Studs up right on the ankle.
From that point on we couldn't compete.
They killed us on the overlap time and time again
They had 18 shots or something to our 4
For some reason they took the foot off the gas in the second half and subbed off their A team.
They really could have run up the score.
Take today for what it is and move on.

Pluto

Today was a mess and Silva deserves his share of criticism for picking a poor team. Cairney was easily our best player and should have started with Reed and Pereira dropping back as others suggested.

However, unfortunately our summer recruitment has left us severely short of cover, particularly in central midfield and at wing back. At CM, Chalobah is a league one player, whilst Mbabu and (especially) Kurwaza are nowhere near good enough. Those problems were foreseeable before the window closed but sadly ignored.

We also inexplicably released better backup players, with Seri (natural cover for Paulinha) gone on a free and Bryan sent on a free loan to start for a team who are better than us. Both very poor decisions. With those two in today we would not have lost 4-1.

perry geyton

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on October 01, 2022, 04:25:52 PM
Quote from: perry geyton on October 01, 2022, 04:20:57 PM
Also how comes Stansfield doesn't get a look in over that donkey we are now playing up front ?

Because he is on loan at Exeter City.
Oh yeah I forgot,

hovewhite

Full backs injury's you replace with like for like .Chalobah mystified why he played,but if he bins him which I hope he does,as he shouldn't be taking any wages as he offers nothing to the team , Crawley told everyone that including Silva.

Benny

Chalobah has never been good for us, was poor even in the championship. The team didn't want it enough today either, heads went down after first goal and gave up far too easily from that point

Jules

Quote from: Craven Mad on October 01, 2022, 03:50:59 PM
What was Marco supposed to do - the squad is too thin, and there wasn't another DM to choose from.

Chalobah has to take responsibility for his own actions here. Outrageous lack of control, which undermined weeks of training/planning by the squad.
I'd  just have played Reed deep and Cairney in front. I would have played a kid ahead of Chalobah - pajaziti or one of the other kids on the  fringe of the squad

bencher

I wasn't at the game and have only watched the extended highlights. But what I saw was very worrying. It was very reminiscent of the 18/19 season when we were hapless in defence. Even with 10 men, there was a distinct lack of energy and determination in trying to prevent goals and but for Leno it would have been a cricket score. The reserve full backs looked abysmal. The mounting injuries is a big concern and despite our good start, we need to get a reaction and a positive result in our next game to swing momentum back in our favour or this league will punish you quickly. Away at West Ham has never been one of our most fertile sources of points but that matters not. Silva needs to find a way to get the shore up the defence. It would help enormously if Tete and Robinson were fit. The were echoes of Coventry from last season in this and we were able to bounce back then, we need to now too.

Facts Not Fiction

We went into the match with 5 players out who would most likely start in our strongest XI.

It was an awful day at the office, but results like this are not unusual at this level. We move on.

filham

I have always looked upon Chalobah as a red card waiting to happen and can't remember him having a good game.

However, he was the nearest thing available to replace Palhina unless Marco changed tactics or had defenders playing in midfield.

Free Elvis Hammond

There was no one else. You can't play three up front, an attacking midfielder and full backs high up the pitch if you don't have a compact midfield

Chalobah is the only player in the squad who can play the same role as Palhinha - the fault wasn't that he was picked yesterday, it's that the squad is really thin in central midfield. There's no proper backup for Pereira either

One thing I think Silva did get wrong was bringing Vinicius on for Mitro, rather than a midfielder. It was obvious we were being completely overrun in midfield. We could have had Haaland up front and it wouldn't have made a difference. He should have dropped BDR deeper and brought on Cairney (as he did later on)

alfie

Quote from: Free Elvis Hammond on October 02, 2022, 02:57:26 PM
There was no one else. You can't play three up front, an attacking midfielder and full backs high up the pitch if you don't have a compact midfield

Chalobah is the only player in the squad who can play the same role as Palhinha - the fault wasn't that he was picked yesterday, it's that the squad is really thin in central midfield. There's no proper backup for Pereira either

One thing I think Silva did get wrong was bringing Vinicius on for Mitro, rather than a midfielder. It was obvious we were being completely overrun in midfield. We could have had Haaland up front and it wouldn't have made a difference. He should have dropped BDR deeper and brought on Cairney (as he did later on)

Got to disagree with your last point, I think Haaland up front would have made one hell of a difference.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ffcthereligion

Agreed on both fronts. People say Tom cairney should play in Palhinha's role don't understand football and think it's fifa.

FFC1987

Quote from: ffcthereligion on October 02, 2022, 09:09:01 PM

Agreed on both fronts. People say Tom cairney should play in Palhinha's role don't understand football and think it's fifa.

I think you might have completely misinterpreted that. Reed would play DM, Pereria as box to box and Cairney in his normal role has bee the only suggestion I've seen on here. All those players have played in those roles previously.