watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Hodgson leaves Liverpool

Started by Bilet, January 08, 2011, 11:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cebu

I hope you're right Mr Peabody - it would be great to get something at Anfield.

OldBrownShoe

Frankly it doesn't matter who is in charge there, they largely have a crap side. :dead horse: It will take huge investment and much patience to restore them to, say, being a top four or five side. No quick fix. I should not be surprised if the team doesn't unravel and they find themselves in free fall.  Still I only care about Fulham. :clap_hands:
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

os5889

It really is such a shame! Liverpool fans really piss me off, they are such mugs, do they really think they will win anything with such a pony team. Hodgson turned around our league 2 destined Sanchez inspired mess but it took time! I think Liverpool with the players they have will not go down but weren't going to make Europe through the league either. I don't see how going to the "messiah" Dalglish will help, he could only win with a transfer Kitty greater than the GDP of Scotland and Wales and one thing Liverpool are not is Man City! Any non deluded Liverpool fan can see that they are rapidly becoming the Newcastle United chip on your shoulder FC!
I think it couldn't have hurt to leave him in charge for a full transfer window and try to offload some Benitez inspired tripe and build his own team.

Whiteroom

Roy has been really dragged through the mud on this one. I really hope that Liverpool's season goes from bad to worse. I also hope that Roy gets another good job.

Bilet

Quote from: OldBrownShoe on January 08, 2011, 12:07:31 PM
Frankly it doesn't matter who is in charge there, they largely have a crap side. :dead horse: It will take huge investment and much patience to restore them to, say, being a top four or five side. No quick fix.

Good point. The biggest problem is not the manager at Liverpool, it's the quality of the players...

ron

Roy won't starve after all...and he can now say he at least gave "a large club" a try before he retires. As I said at the time he left, he has a savings pension pot that normal wage earners can only dream about.

The fact that Liverpool were desperate meant he had little or no time to turn the club around. Huge wages carry huge expectations and huge responsibility.

Perhaps Sparky is now thinking how lucky he is to still have a job......assuming that he still needs one.

FFCSteve

Quote from: Whiteroom on January 08, 2011, 12:09:56 PM
Roy has been really dragged through the mud on this one. I really hope that Liverpool's season goes from bad to worse.

Didn't he bring it on himself!

No sympathy, especially as he woosed out & left on his own accord.

Personally, It will make it easier for me to see us play Liverpool now, as Woys presence would have made any lose harder to take!
COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

HammyH3

I am fed up with all this "he inherited a poor team" nonsense. He inherited a team packed with internationals, two world cup winners and arguably the best current English midfielder and right back.
The Liverpool vs Inter Milan games in 2008 are constantly replayed as 2 of the best English club performances in European competition. That team was still playing under Roy Hodgson with the exception of Hypia and Mascarano both of whom have been replaced.
He failed because he couldn't get the players to play to their potential.
His CV and ego have both taken a deserved knock.
"Manager of the year" Doh!

AlFayedsChequebook

Feel sorry for Roy. Obviously he has got a huge payout so there will be a limited amount of sympathy for him.

The whole sad episode has not looked good for anyone really:

1) Roy came across as a manager who refused to accept it when it went wrong
2) Liverpool players came across as players who simply did not care
3) Liverpool fans came across as a bunch of spoiled children who were ungracious from the start.

The worst news is that Hodgson is now back on the market. If I owned Villa, Blackburn, Wolves, West Ham or Wigan I would be pulling out the stops to get him in. The best thing for Roy to do now, in terms of Fulham, is to wait till we are safe/it is the end of the season before he takes another job!

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: HammyH3 on January 08, 2011, 12:59:47 PM
I am fed up with all this "he inherited a poor team" nonsense. He inherited a team packed with internationals, two world cup winners and arguably the best current English midfielder and right back.
The Liverpool vs Inter Milan games in 2008 are constantly replayed as 2 of the best English club performances in European competition. That team was still playing under Roy Hodgson with the exception of Hypia and Mascarano both of whom have been replaced.
He failed because he couldn't get the players to play to their potential.
His CV and ego have both taken a deserved knock.
"Manager of the year" Doh!

mm, bitter.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

OK so Roy did not handle leaving us in the best possible way ( who has always acted correctly in their own life ???) but what he did for us far outweighs his manner of leaving.   Personally I feel  we have taken a step up with Hughes a younger manager with something to prove and the next few years will be brilliant, we have no reason to be bitter.

Roy was not given a chance at Pool from the off, it was also  interesting that the team got results when Billy - big -boots Gerrard was out injured  ...............
Roy is very well respected in Europe and they may well find it difficult to find a manager  deemed good enough to go there.  Didn't Kenny leave management for health reason ???? well he will need to be in tip top condition to handle that lot.
As for Roy this will not be his last job, I wish him and his family well    

finnster01

Good luck to Roy. He'll never manage again in the Prem.

Championship or some dodgy European Club/Country next for him.  :011:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FFCSteve

COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

Burt

I for one wish him all the best. He put this club on the map, and I doubt if I will ever see us at a European final again in my lifetime. Great times.

His head was turned by wanting to manage one of the greats. And to be honest if you translate that to the lifes of us mere mortals if one of the most reputable employers came along with a fabulous offer then 9 times out of 10 your head is going to be turned. You can't blame him for wanting to take the opportunity.

What this goes to show is that:
- The grass isn't always greener.
- Managing unmotivated millionaire prima-donas is not Roy's strength.

Should be interesting to see where he pops up next. Good luck to him.

Burt

jarv

I don't think he needs us to remind him he made a big mistake. He should always be made welcome at Fulham though despite his timing.
Next England manager? or as Mr. Finn implied, next Scotland manager? (some low end international team!) :005:
However, I was thinking, with all the injured strikers this season I doubt Roy would have done any better than MH, given that BZ was critical to Roy's tactics.

finnster01

Maybe my annual prayer of relegation for Liverpool finally comes through?  :54:

Wouldn't it be priceless to watch Gerrard and Torres play Scunthorpe twice a year?  :011:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Pata

Quote from: Burt on January 08, 2011, 01:45:28 PM
The locals don't seem too upset by this turn of events.
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=268879.0

Every Liverpool fan I've spoken to today just can't stop smiling. Best news all season.
I'm fat, I'm Scouse

Pata

Quote from: Oakeshott on January 08, 2011, 11:54:10 AM
"Party atmosphere for the 9000 Liverpool fans at Old Trafford tomorrow"

Not if, as I very much hope, they get soundly thrashed.

I suspect that the result might be somewhat irrelevant now.

Stuck in bed with the flu at the moment, the lads 'round are coming later to pick up the tickets for the match... gutted... but it's ITV for me tomorrow, with the sound off, possibly. :)
I'm fat, I'm Scouse

Pata

Quote from: Jimpav on January 08, 2011, 11:56:02 AM
Quote from: Pata on January 08, 2011, 11:52:02 AM
Party atmosphere for the 9000 Liverpool fans at Old Trafford tomorrow.

They will no doubt be bitching and whining when United knock them out of the FA cup and surpass their number of league titles come May.
Sorry, what were those excuses for Uncle Roy's Liverpool being unbelievably rubbish again?
I'm fat, I'm Scouse