more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tosin Rumours

Started by KentFulham, October 29, 2022, 09:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on October 30, 2022, 02:42:37 PM
We got Tosin cheap from Man City but wasn't a percentage fee agreed in the event of us selling him on?
Yes, 20 or 25% if I remember... ridiculous Chinese whisper... Marco is not interested in who will or will not be here in a year or two... it is all about the here and now and survival, no way would he drop Tosin over this, it is more rotation, anyway, he played last week as Diop would have been an injury risk less that 3 days after Villa... people adding 2 + 2 and getting 17... both good players, nice problem to have... squad, or group, I hate that word, game now... anyway, Carvalho played last season, whatever happened to him...

vancouver

We need to be patient.

We have a record of letting young defenders leave too early, only for them to develop elsewhere.

hovewhite

Smalling left early is the one that moved.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Tony Gale, Alan Mullery ..... I could go on.

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 30, 2022, 06:14:23 PM
Quote from: vancouver on October 30, 2022, 06:11:41 PM
We need to be patient.

We have a record of letting young defenders leave too early, only for them to develop elsewhere.

Do we? Who would that be? Burn maybe at a stretch? Maybe I'm completely missing someone obvious?
Jedd Spence, Ernie Howe.....

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 30, 2022, 10:02:30 PM
So in short, we don't really have any sort of relevant history of doing that then. Thanks for clearing that up.
Paul Parker, Duncan Jupp

Sting of the North

Again, thanks for clearing that up. But I do agree that over a period of 40 years or so we probably have let the odd defender leave too early. Jupp as an example went on the have an illustrious career after we "let him go".

simplyfulham

Rob Atkinson, Moritz Jenz, Cody Drameh

Sting of the North

Are we just listing former youth defenders now? That has nothing to do with anything? Strange thing to do, but no harm of course.

Sean Kavanagh, Elliot Omizusi, Cameron Burgess... Am I doing it right?

vancouver

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 30, 2022, 11:03:29 PM
Are we just listing former youth defenders now? That has nothing to do with anything? Strange thing to do, but no harm of course.

No; point being Tosin might take 30 games before he establishes himself, He isn't a striker. CB's have longer development curves. Fulham hasn't developed a CB. We have a strong history recently of discarding CB's in their early 20's.

Sting of the North

Quote from: vancouver on October 31, 2022, 04:37:44 AM

No; point being Tosin might take 30 games before he establishes himself, He isn't a striker. CB's have longer development curves. Fulham hasn't developed a CB. We have a strong history recently of discarding CB's in their early 20's.

Ok, but then again, who are those CB's?

And Tosin has played well over 30 games for us in the Premier League. And loads of games for us and others in the Champiobship. But for what it's worth, I agree that we should absolutely not sell Tosin. He's a good player that might become a top player.

It is not keeping Tosin I question. It is the statement that we have a long history of discarding CB's too early. Is that really true? So far posters have only name dropped random defenders that almost to a man have not gone on to establish themselves anywhere near our level. I might very well be missing someone, but then could anyone please come up with any suggestions to support the statement?

toshes mate

Quote from: hovewhite on October 30, 2022, 06:28:37 PM
Smalling left early is the one that moved.
Wasn't that a deal struck between Hodgson and Ferguson before Smalling signed for us with both agreeing with assessments that he would be an England international PDQ?

Surlyc

How are we talking about young defenders who developed elsewhere and not mentioning Dan Burn?

Anyway I'm sceptical of this rumour, but if it is true then Tosin can leave in the summer. We spent £15m on Diop for a reason and I think he is starting to show that; if we need to replace Tosin, having an established Diop makes that much easier.

simplyfulham

Quote from: Hugh Gentry on October 30, 2022, 08:24:47 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on October 30, 2022, 06:14:23 PM

We need to be patient.

Do we? Who would that be? Burn maybe at a stretch? Maybe I'm completely missing someone obvious?

Short memory on ya then hey?

simplyfulham

FWIW,

Yeah the Tosin situation is very different from a lot of the other younger players who've left.

But I think there is a kernal of truth that we've not put enough faith in defenders to develop at Fulham. You only have to look at Jenz starting games in the champions league to wonder if we could have found a different route that would have seen him stay with us.

Deeping_white

If, and it's a big if, the rumour is true then I'd like to know where Tosin realistically thinks his next move will take him, if he's forcing us to sell him. He's not shown enough consistency to start for another PL team yet, unless we stay up and sell him to a promoted club which is a bit of a downgrade anyway. If he wants a move to an English team playing european football then he's likely to be third/fourth choice which probably isn't what he's after either. He'll probably have to go to mainland europe to play CL/Europa League football and considering he's a young, ball playing English CB he's already going to start at a premium rate if we do decide to cash in. He's probably better off signing a 2 year extension and playing in a team that hopefully has consecutive seasons in the PL to build up his reputation which is currently that of a CB who's somewhere between too good for championship and bottom half PL adequate

Lordedmundo

Personally, I don't think there is much between Diop, Tosin and Ream.  It is great that Diop is now up to speed and settled in, but is he a better player thanTosin - I'm not sure. Both have pace - Tosin is sharper at passing the ball, Diop slightly stronger physically.  They are both fairly good in the air, but can lose their markers on occasion. Ream has been almost undroppable this season, but can he continue to play at the same level beyond this season...?

For that reason, we do need to keep Tosin. He and Diop should form a solid partnership in future.

f bloke

Watching age group football I find assessing the potential of young CBs the most difficult.  In school boy football there has always been the tendency to select the big lads as the CBs.  This can feed through to age group football where the CBs are often more physically developed than their team mates - so do they stand out cos they are good or do they stand out since they have physical advantages over their team mates?- certainly until their team mates complete their physical development.

Then there are the CBs who stand out cos they are very good footballers with good defensive brains but who perhaps  lack the size to play CB at the top level or the athleticism to play FB.  I am thinking Jack Grimmer and Liam Donnelly here.  Both stood out at u 18s.  I hope the same won't apply to Connor Mcavoy who is a very tidy footballer.  I would say that right now Mcavoy is slightly the better player than Charlie Robinson but it could be that Robinson will have the higher ceiling since he has a more conventional CB size. 

Jenz stood out to me, a very stylish player but would have a mistake or two in him.  I also thought Opoku was very good with potentially a higher ceiling of the two.  A bit disappointed that neither given a go - but only time will tell whether we made a mistake.  I am not sure that Jens playing a champions league game is of itself evidence enough that he would be good enough to get into this Fulham team.

Other than Burns I am not sure we have let anyone go at CB who has proven that he would have been good enough to play for us in recent years.  Am I missing anyone?  Even with Burns - I am not sure many of us would have predicted the career he has gone on to have.

At FB - at RB, the stand out talent by some distance was Fossey.  Behind him you had Steve Sess.  If you were Drameh or Djed Spence those were big  hurdles to get over.  Can see why they may wanted to have looked elsewhere.  Added to that there have always been questions about Spence and his mindset - if his head is in the right place he is a very good player - but if it isn't, he isn't.  Shame it didn't work out for Fossey injury wise but not sure I would currently take any of them over Tete right now.

At LB - there was R Sess - but can't think of anyone else who has stood out and not yet seeing anyone in the age groups who look as if they may have EPL potential although will be interesting to see how Larkeche gets on - but he will need to become a regular starter at some point soon during his loan spell.

hovewhite

Looking around domestically there doesn't seem to be a wealth of CBs available,get tosin signed up,if he won't get a youngster in and let tosin run his contract out.

Bronaldinho

Last I heard was towards end of window, early start of season where talks had begun - but it's gone silent since then.

With that in mind, I imagine some of the selection is around that - plus we're pushing Diop to succeed given the £15m we paid.

I imagine we'd get 15-20m for Tosin, but we need to remember Man City get 30% off that fee IIRC? Maybe even more? I can't remember the %.

But Tosin has a lot of potential, and I think he's got room to improve and become established for us and the Prem.

Personally would love for him to get a new deal, as Prem level CBs are hard to find.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com