watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tosin Rumours

Started by KentFulham, October 29, 2022, 09:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Extend his contract by 1 year, then sell him for £15/20m....or offer him to Forest in January for £50m

Sting of the North

Quote from: simplyfulham on October 31, 2022, 09:49:07 AM
Quote from: Sting of the North on October 30, 2022, 11:03:29 PM
Are we just listing former youth defenders now? That has nothing to do with anything? Strange thing to do, but no harm of course.

Sean Kavanagh, Elliot Omizusi, Cameron Burgess... Am I doing it right?

Quote from: Hugh Gentry on October 30, 2022, 08:24:47 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on October 30, 2022, 06:14:23 PM

We need to be patient.

We have a record of letting young defenders leave too early, only for them to develop elsewhere.

Do we? Who would that be? Burn maybe at a stretch? Maybe I'm completely missing someone obvious?

Short memory on ya then hey?

I do appreciate your follow up post where you at least try to discuss. Not sure why you felt the need for this snide remark though? It is quite obvious from your post and others that there was no obvious answers to my very simple question.

I think f bloke's post further below your's is very informative. In response to that, what CB's would you have back for our first team?

It is a very difficult position to introduce youngsters to, especially when you are always either expecting promotion or fighting relegation. I am sure we will find several players in various positions where we can say with hindsight that we should have acted differently. Still don't really see any evidence or suggestions that this is a particular problem at centre back though. There is of course always the discussion as well that some players that ultimately never become PL quality would have developed to our advantage if we had given them more chances. Unfortunately there will never be a way of knowing that.

In any case, that discussion hardly seem applicable to Tosin any way, so we have already gone beyond whatever the initial point was I assume.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion so far, appreciate it.

simplyfulham

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 31, 2022, 03:45:23 PM

I do appreciate your follow up post where you at least try to discuss. Not sure why you felt the need for this snide remark though? It is quite obvious from your post and others that there was no obvious answers to my very simple question.

I think f bloke's post further below your's is very informative. In response to that, what CB's would you have back for our first team?

It is a very difficult position to introduce youngsters to, especially when you are always either expecting promotion or fighting relegation. I am sure we will find several players in various positions where we can say with hindsight that we should have acted differently. Still don't really see any evidence or suggestions that this is a particular problem at centre back though. There is of course always the discussion as well that some players that ultimately never become PL quality would have developed to our advantage if we had given them more chances. Unfortunately there will never be a way of knowing that.

In any case, that discussion hardly seem applicable to Tosin any way, so we have already gone beyond whatever the initial point was I assume.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion so far, appreciate it.

Alright Sting, slow down. Nothing snide about it, at least none more so than some of your own select comments. Just tongue firmly in cheek, nothing more than that.

I take your point that on balance, it's hard to say there is a pervasive issue with defenders leaving (more than any other positions). But your first response asked for more examples of defenders leaving.

I was genuinely just naming the defenders that have left us as youth players who have gone on to improve and play at a decent level. I wasn't trying to undermine your point at all.

Which defenders would I have back.. genuinely 4 of the named ones so far would have at least done a job competing for squad places with the likes of Duffy this season.

Burn
Jenz
Atkinson
Drameh (I know he's a RB - would have come in handy with Tete's injury)

Sting of the North

Thanks for expanding upon your thoughts on this matter simplyfulham. I don't believe I agree on your list of players for various reasons, but appreciate where you are coming from.

Whitesideup

I may be a minority, but I rate Tosin highly and at times I think we are too quick to find fault. His languid running style masks what is genuinely good pace for a CB. There are a number of occasions when his reading of the game means he makes timely interventions that don't look spectacular but are significant. For me his ball control and passing is better than Diop but it is still early days for me to make direct comparisons between the two, and their styles are different. Diop looks more combative and certainly had a good game against Everton. But that doesn't diminish Tosin's performance this year, and I think we can all agree competition is good .. and squad depth is essential.

f bloke

Diop's seems to be much more comfortable passing from right to left - aiming towards the left flank.  He seems more reluctant to spread the play passing to the right.  From the fairly limited sample of matches so far he only seems to spread right if it is very easy to execute or it his only option or if he runs with the ball giving him time  to shape his body to pass to his right.  Ream is very good at spreading the play left and Tosin is more than ok spreading it right.  I don't think it entirely unconnected why Willian and Robinson had so much of the ball on Saturday.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: KentFulham on October 29, 2022, 09:07:25 PM
Word in the stands tonight is Tosin has refused to sign a new contract and isn't being played over it. Anyone hearing similar? Deal ends in June 2023 I think

Of course, the rumours are true (well sort of), because both Tony Khan and Marco Silva want Tosin to sign a new contract, and Tosin to believe that signing a new contract get him a first XI spot instantly.

The truth is (despite what Marco Silva might say to Tosin) that if Tosin was an upgrade on what we have, then Marco Silva would just go TK and say "we need Tosin" and he would play.

Alternatively, if Tosin signs a new contract, then Marco Silva would play him in the FA Cup and decide from there.

Ultimately, if one player is better they will play, all the rest is contract negotiation bullpoo..