watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are we interested in the World Cup Now

Started by filham, November 21, 2022, 03:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

So, Argentina v France in the final. An interesting game to look forward to but it is not going to be a classic.
Really we could have beaten France and right now it looks as if we missed an opportunity to win the W.C.

General

Just imagine being Kane and seeing this all unfold in front of him.. the penalty miss becomes even more pertinent if France do win it. At this stage I'd prefer Argentina to win.

Sammyffc

It was a breath of fresh air to watch Morocco attack france as they did, whilst we had henderson rice and jude passing it side to side. Plus, i can't wait for Kane to just leave the national set up so we can have a striker who makes runs as our CF and is actually up top, him always being in midfield drives me nuts.

SG

Quote from: Willham on December 14, 2022, 06:53:09 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on December 13, 2022, 09:24:51 PM
Quote from: General on December 12, 2022, 02:17:36 PM
Quote from: blingo on December 12, 2022, 12:45:23 PM
We will never win anything with Southgate in charge.

We lost. Get over it.

What a ridiculous statement. He's been by far the best manager we've had in over 40 years. We dominated France and had Kane scored the second penalty everyone would be celebrating.

His record in tournaments is semi final, final and quarter final. The players love him and he's grounded and sensible.

We deserved to be in the semis based on tactics. The fault of us not at least going to extra time is purely on harry Kanes shoulders. In my opinion he should've not taken the second penalty and let someone fresher take it. He misjudged his responsibility as captain and striker and having buried one should have let someone else go for it - Rashford would've buried it.

I think Southgate is the best man for the job by a country mile and should at least have a second stab at the next euros.

People have very short memories it seems. We went through tonnes of international managers and England managers trying to get results for the national team and they all fell significantly short time and time again with our golden generation.

Southgate has nurtured a lot of the players in this group from a young age and has developed incredible trust and working relationships and gets the best out of players even when they're underperforming at club level (a la maguire and even Pickford at times).

I remember constantly referencing players in the past - the likes of lampard, ferdinand etc who used to say club football for them was more important than national team football and now we actually have it the other way round which is how it should be.

Not only that but they understand and represent English and British  values admirably on top of being a down to earth and grounded group of players.

For this group being England teammates comes before club rivalries. Seems trivial but so many managers failed to manage that dynamic which is one of the simplest.

And you want tk give it to Pochettino?  An Argentinean who's never managed at international level and is completely untried. Ridiculous.

Sorry but I have to disagree with Southgate being fantastic and done anything more than ok to good as manager. Good is probably fairer without context with tournament standings but I think we get found out against even marginally good opposition and Southgate has an unhealthy habit of being very stale in both his approach at times and his inability to change a game be it through tactical subs, or formation changes. Don't get me wrong, I like Southgate for what he's done, how he conducts himself and the manner in which he turned things around during turbulent times but I just don't think he's the man to take us to any silverware. I personally think the teams good enough, certainly versatile enough but we rely on same players, regardless of club form, irrespective of how actual form players are doing and I think it shows. He will remain to be seen as a nearly man or a man who was close but with no cigar. This tweet probably portrays my point about fortunate we've been with draws etc

'?s=48&t=-QxhdmJbsyclns84UHYDeA&fbclid=IwAR0LsGTyiLPuupiGQG7_KagbD3AUXRQK3v_Dq0NGb-lkw3IZtRhCiafwz5M'.

As well as the above, I don't really like how we play most of the time. It can often be quite turgid, too defensive, and ultimately predictable. Among my other criticisms of his, I actually dislike the way we utilise Kane as well. Often seen playing alongside Rice and behind Bellingham in almost the 'QB' role of football, pinging balls about, and when the ball goes into the box, he's outside the 18 yard line. Seeing him make wide runs so he can cross a ball to the likes of Saka, Sterling, Foden and from set pieces, Maguire, is pretty painful. Doesn't take much common sense to see if you put Kane in the box, your odds of scoring go up dramatically. Kane plays this role really well, but decent sides close it out and we just don't adapt.

I'd like to see a more forward thinking manager, say Howe or, despite his reduced stock currently, Potter, who I wanted after the last Euro's. If he stays, I hope he brings it home, but I won't be betting any money on him achieving it. We've got such a bright future of talent coming through, I just don't see how Southgate will utilise it. Elloitt as an example. He should of gone to this world cup. Just for the experience of being in and around the setup. He'll be one of our future regulars with Bellingham. He clearly only chose Maddison to whoop up some good PR, but he never made it onto the pitch. A youth star whose playing champions league football and collecting accolades would of been better suited. Anyway, that's my two pence.

100% agree with this

Southgate is parker 2.0

Out the gate!

My view as well. Lovely guy and has done many things well, but this group of players coming through from the now well established St George's Park and Academy set ups should be doing better and playing a more proactive style. He is the first manager to really benefit from this new set up as it was only established in 2012. It's a massive advantage over previous England managers

Whitestone

I can understand the support for Southgate given his track record. It  doesn't help that there isn't obvious successor, but I just don't believe he knows how to get the best out of a very gifted generation. His style of play, tactics and game management must get better if he is to achieve success. I'm convinced a top manager would have won something with the players he's had at his disposal.

Belgium suffered similarly with Roberto Martinez at the helm and they missed the boat with their golden generation. It's not too late for England.