News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wouldn't it be nice to have a proper English national anthem.

Started by Southdowns White, November 26, 2022, 03:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffcthereligion

Why not 'There'll always be an England' by Vera Lynn? Always thought of it as a great outsider!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: alfie on November 27, 2022, 09:56:22 AM
Quote from: Fernhurst on November 27, 2022, 02:32:18 AM
Quote from: Twig on November 27, 2022, 12:51:53 AM
I don't understand why so many people want an English anthem. I am proud to be British and happy to have a British anthem. And whilst there are valid arguments for replacing or updating the existing one, good luck with convincing the electorate!  Personally I find this obsession with "Englishness" all a tiny bit small minded but I accept that's perhaps just me.

Quite agree, worried how this board is slididing to the right.

Will always be British, Nationalism is awful, look at The SNP
Not a question of sliding to the right, why do Scotland, Wales and NI have their own anthems, simple really, they are not interested in being British. GSTK is fine when we are operating as a team Olympics for instance, but not when we are standing alone.

For myself I am English first, British second, always have been always will be.

Absolutely Correct Alfie.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

f bloke

I am another that objects to GSTK - on the grounds of both taste (it is a dirge) and inappropriateness - for many it is an appeal to something that doesn't exist to protect an institution well past its sale by date. It is an historical anachronism. It's not a song I could ever consider singing.

I also think it is insulting to the Celtic nations that the English anthem is the same as the British one.

Not sure that we need to go too far back in time for a new anthem, Flower of Scotland was written in the 60's. Although it is a stirring tune, it too nationalistic for my tastes - it is a reference back to a time and place that no longer exists - which is why LOHAG wouldn't be appropriate.

Maybe it is time to move away from nationalistic patriotism and simply choose a song that has contemporary relevance - I have been to a half a dozen weddings over the last 2/3 years and the song that was played at all of them and that was sang along to by just about everyone (from teens to sixty somethings) was Wonderwall. Worth considering?

Holders

I don't understand why so many people want an English anthem. I am proud to be British and happy to have a British anthem. And whilst there are valid arguments for replacing or updating the existing one, good luck with convincing the electorate!  Personally I find this obsession with "Englishness" all a tiny bit small minded but I accept that's perhaps just me.

Not a question of sliding to the right, why do Scotland, Wales and NI have their own anthems, simple really, they are not interested in being British. GSTK is fine when we are operating as a team Olympics for instance, but not when we are standing alone.

I don't think it's right to suggest that having pride in one's native country, land or region inevitably means a desire for separatism. I grant you that, in recent times, this is more so the case in Scotland in particular - for well-known reasons.

However, there are plenty of healthy countries or unions where regional characteristics, customs etc are celebrated without being seen as a separatist movement. People in regions of France or Germany for example.  Indeed, I'd suggest that a healthy amalgamation of such regional variations actually facilitates celebration of individual and regional differences without it being seen as nationalistic. See my point in an earlier post.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

LC

Quote from: Holders on November 27, 2022, 10:44:04 AM

I don't think it's right to suggest that having pride in one's native country, land or region inevitably means a desire for separatism. I grant you that, in recent times, this is more so the case in Scotland in particular - for well-known reasons.

However, there are plenty of healthy countries or unions where regional characteristics, customs etc are celebrated without being seen as a separatist movement. People in regions of France or Germany for example.  Indeed, I'd suggest that a healthy amalgamation of such regional variations actually facilitates celebration of individual and regional differences without it being seen as nationalistic. See my point in an earlier post.

Sliding to the right? Could argue it's sliding to the left? It could argued that wanting to remove our current national anthem is an attack on the establishment/monarchy which is more commonly associated with left wing republican views.

I keep saying, you could argue, as this is meant to be a football forum, let's not get into politics, it's happened a few times this year already

White Knight

Quote from: LC on November 26, 2022, 07:49:12 PM
God save the king/queen is a uniquely English/British anthem and should remain

As others have stated gstk is british not English so should be just used for GB.

It is unacceptable that England have not got our own national anthem like every other country due to the corrupt establishment.

cmg

Quote from: scotto2000 on November 27, 2022, 02:36:49 AM
Jerusalem is not recognised as the capital of another nation by the British government and most of the world.

Indeed, the confused, confusing and convoluted views of the nations of the world regarding the status of Jerusalem as capital (or not) of Israel or Palestine (or both) provide, in themselves, ample evidence for not wishing this unfortunate place be established on our 'green and pleasant land'.

Somerset Fulham

I have absolutely no doubt of the corruption in the higher echelons of this land, it is visible every single day. 

But I am really struggling to connect why England doesn't have a national anthem with establishment corruption?!

Holders

Quote from: cmg on November 27, 2022, 01:13:10 PM
Quote from: scotto2000 on November 27, 2022, 02:36:49 AM
Jerusalem is not recognised as the capital of another nation by the British government and most of the world.

Indeed, the confused, confusing and convoluted views of the nations of the world regarding the status of Jerusalem as capital (or not) of Israel or Palestine (or both) provide, in themselves, ample evidence for not wishing this unfortunate place be established on our 'green and pleasant land'.

Never seen it better put!

gang

Why not do what Australia and Canada did and write a new one.

LC

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on November 27, 2022, 01:13:35 PM
I have absolutely no doubt of the corruption in the higher echelons of this land, it is visible every single day. 

But I am really struggling to connect why England doesn't have a national anthem with establishment corruption?!

I guess tradition and history mean nothing anymore.. god save the king/queen has been around since the 1600s. Even if England did get their/our own national anthem the vast majority, including myself, would still continue to sing god save the king/queen.

It literally epitomises what it is to the British and English. It's a case of looking at our history and where we come from.   

Also what establishment corruption are you specifically referring too.. really don't want to get into a political/history debate, but this phrase gets thrown around a lot- really curious to learn what the facts are as you see them 

Cobh Fulham Fan

Ok folks, I'm not English so maybe im not entitled to comment on this, but before the kick-off with the English game the other night, that very thought crossed my mind, why in the 21st century, England has no anthem of its own? 

I understand the views of some on here that England should come up with a totally new song, though I personally love Blakes Jerusalem and feel it would be ideal.  'Land of Hope and Glory', I feel has imperialist connotations and might not get many international admirers.     

Holders

Quote from: Cobh Fulham Fan on November 27, 2022, 03:40:36 PM
Ok folks, I'm not English so maybe im not entitled to comment on this, but before the kick-off with the English game the other night, that very thought crossed my mind, why in the 21st century, England has no anthem of its own? 

I understand the views of some on here that England should come up with a totally new song, though I personally love Blakes Jerusalem and feel it would be ideal.  'Land of Hope and Glory', I feel has imperialist connotations and might not get many international admirers.     

Interesting to get your perspective. As you hail from a country which has had a superb and emotive "anthem" arise almost accidently (Fields of Athenry), I struggle to think of a suitable English equivalent. I hear what you say about Jerusalem, it has a catchy and, to many, a stirring tune but for a largely secular and multi-ethnic society it's not suitable for much the same reason as GSTQ/K and LOHAG.

Genuinely interested to hear your suggestions as to an Athenry equivalent. 

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: LC on November 27, 2022, 03:30:48 PM

I guess tradition and history mean nothing anymore.. god save the king/queen has been around since the 1600s. Even if England did get their/our own national anthem the vast majority, including myself, would still continue to sing god save the king/queen.

It literally epitomises what it is to the British and English. It's a case of looking at our history and where we come from.   

Also what establishment corruption are you specifically referring too.. really don't want to get into a political/history debate, but this phrase gets thrown around a lot- really curious to learn what the facts are as you see them

You only need Google Michelle Mone to see the latest round of it.

Rupert

Quote from: Holders on November 27, 2022, 04:02:30 PM

Interesting to get your perspective. As you hail from a country which has had a superb and emotive "anthem" arise almost accidently (Fields of Athenry), I struggle to think of a suitable English equivalent. I hear what you say about Jerusalem, it has a catchy and, to many, a stirring tune but for a largely secular and multi-ethnic society it's not suitable for much the same reason as GSTQ/K and LOHAG.

We already have that, Three Lions.

The actual Irish anthem is The Soldier's Song, which is as anachronistic as any other anthem nowadays.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Holders

Quote from: Rupert on November 27, 2022, 04:20:20 PM
Quote from: Holders on November 27, 2022, 04:02:30 PM

We already have that, Three Lions.

The actual Irish anthem is The Soldier's Song, which is as anachronistic as any other anthem nowadays.

I asked because I was hoping to hear his suggestions, coming as he does from a country with such a rich musical tradition, as to an English equivalent which has some roots and might have application beyond football. "Three Lions" would hardly do for Rugby, the Commonwealth Games etc.  I've heard the Irish anthem as the only Englishman in the room and, dare I say it, it sounded as dreary as GSTQ/K. No wonder they opted for Athenry. 

LC

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on November 27, 2022, 04:18:15 PM
Quote from: LC on November 27, 2022, 03:30:48 PM

You only need Google Michelle Mone to see the latest round of it.

Tell me, what has this got to do with the royal family, or our national anthem, god save the king/queen?

Somerset Fulham

I was talking about establishment corruption, not the above that you have mentioned. I never did mention any of that.

That said though, we are harbouring a nonce in the Royal Family, so there is that.

LC

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on November 27, 2022, 05:33:56 PM
I was talking about establishment corruption, not the above that you have mentioned. I never did mention any of that.

That said though, we are harbouring a nonce in the Royal Family, so there is that.

Sure, but we were talking about the national anthem- god save the king/queen. So you're saying we should change the anthem because, as you claim, there's corruption in the establishment/house of commons/lords.. but the anthem hasn't anything to do with that. You can't lump everything under the same umbrella. So what is your point because I think I've missed it?

And as for the former Prince, he is just that- Andrew has lost his titles, so I'm not sure what else the royal family is meant to do.