watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How good is Sidwell

Started by The Swan, January 09, 2011, 08:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

How good is our new signing Sidwell. He couldn't get into a poor Villa side, he was a failure at Chelsea, ok he was good at Reading.
They say he is a box to box player. The only box to box player we  had that was any good was Bullard. Is Sidwell that good.
The Swan

finnster01

We'll find out, won't we.

The only box-to-box player that comes to my and Wayne Bridge's mind is John Terry.   :drums:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Oakeshott

He was excellent at Reading, and I think it harsh to say he failed at Chel. He was there when they bought anyone who moved and most - like Duff - went quite quickly. He started well at Villa but then seemed to fade from their plans - I hope that this just indicates that they thought they had someone better than that he has regressed as a player.

If he is anything like as good as he was at Reading, he'll prove a very worthwhile addition. he may not have Jimmy Bullard's flair, but I think he is less "self" and more "team" and thus may well prove more effective.

nevzter

Quote from: finnster01 on January 09, 2011, 08:38:39 PM
We'll find out, won't we.

The only box-to-box player that comes to my and Wayne Bridge's mind is John Terry.   :drums:

:clap_hands:

He showed well for Reading - didn't really get a look at Chelsea (understandably), and as for Villa I can't say.  As the esteemed gentleman from NY stated, 'we will find out,' but I sincerely hope that he simply needs an opportunity and/or support to return to form.

COYW
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

jarv

I see him as a Fulham type of player. Decent but not a superstar. Will fit in well with the other "team" players, present and past.
Probably didn't do well at Villa, who likes living in Birmingham? :tom: He is from Wandsworth too, apparently Wandsworthians don't travel too well. :dft003:

White Noise

He was the beating heart of that Reading side and had an increadible first season in The Prem with them. I have always thought he had a got a good head on his shoulders and I am sure he will make the most of his chance with us.

HatterDon

He was buried by O'Neill who had some stubborness in him as we all know. If he's got any left of what we saw when he was with Reading, he'll do very well for us.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

SuffolkWhite

I think he will be solid for us, and if his confidence can go up with this move then we have our selves a decent player.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Blingo

He needs to play regularly, which he hasn't been doing. Big YES from Blingo, once he settles in he will prove to have been a very good buy.

Tom

Quote from: Blingo on January 10, 2011, 08:39:54 AM
He needs to play regularly, which he hasn't been doing. Big YES from Blingo, once he settles in he will prove to have been a very good buy.
Blingo bingo!
Fulham for life!

Burt

Lets not write him off before he's even turned out for us!

I am hoping this will turn out to be an astute signing.

Tonywa

He certainly very much looked the part at Reading when they first broke into the top level.  Going back a year or so before that, I know it was a couple of divisions down, but he looked a very good player during his half-season loan from Arsenal to Brentford when I saw him play a few times.  Also in his favour was that he was so committed to our neighbour's cause, even though he was only there on loan, that, off his own bat, he turned down an England Under-21 cap in order to play in an important end-of-season game for Brentford as they needed points to get into the play-offs.

sipwell

When is the first game he can play?
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

WhiteJC

Quote from: sipwell on January 10, 2011, 12:58:11 PM
When is the first game he can play?

the next game (Wigan away)

he didn't sign in time for the FA Cup game (should have signed by 12:00 Friday

LBNo11

...well for a Belgian he's not too bad (shame he is a Flem though), but there again he has Airfix as a mate which is always a dodgy thing, plus he smells of chips, waffles, chocolate and beer, which I suppose is not a bad thing, but he does support Fulham so - sorry whose that you say - Sidwell! Oh, I read that wrong, my bad...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Burt

For what its worth I work in Slough and a number of the locals support Reading (or at least used to during their 2 years in the Prem) and they really rate Sidwell.

As they also support the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and ManU in their spare time then they must know their footy, right?

:003: