News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

So...Who.is the Greatest Footballer of All Time ?

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, December 18, 2022, 11:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeeeeeeeeed

Post World Cup 2022...

I still have Maradona as the Greatest, I just never seen another player like him.

Messi and Pele equal second now, but a good argument could be made for any of those 3.

Somerset Fulham

Agree with you there I think, although I never saw Pele.

ianthailand

Pele by a country mile for me. Best second, Puskas third.

colinwhite

Maradonna was player like no other. And he did it with defenders allowed to tackle from behind . I don't believe Messi would have survived that. His body was in total sync with the ball. His influence on the 86 World Cup was out of this world (and Im not talking about the ridiculous hand of god episode).

Holders

Maradona, sorry to say. Only saw Pele once and that was at the Cottage!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Woolly Mammoth

Pele has to be top man among many greats, but Pele made football look so easy to play.
That was before the tackle from behind was outlawed and the game was more physical.
Also pitches in those days were not like a carpet like they are today.
So for me Pele all day long,
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 19, 2022, 06:25:09 AM
Pele has to be top man among many greats, but Pele made football look so easy to play.
That was before the tackle from behind was outlawed and the game was more physical.

Pele for the reasons above.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Whitestone

Maradona was addicted to alcohol and cocaine. He also failed a drugs test whilst playing for Napoli that saw him banned from football for 15 months. He was a cheat too.
There are others like Pele and Messi that are far more deserving of the title best footballer ever. I think the reason that so many are saying Messi today is because he is very current. Time will decide.

JimOG

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on December 19, 2022, 06:30:29 AM

Aesthetically Pele every time. But he played in some great Brazilian sides as well as a dominant Santos club. Maradona dragged an average Argentinian side over the line and twice got Napoli Serie A titles which is a greater achievement and for me ranks him above all others

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: JimOG on December 19, 2022, 08:48:58 AM
Quote from: SuffolkWhite on December 19, 2022, 06:30:29 AM

Aesthetically Pele every time. But he played in some great Brazilian sides as well as a dominant Santos club. Maradona dragged an average Argentinian side over the line and twice got Napoli Serie A titles which is a greater achievement and for me ranks him above all others

Maradona took substances that enhanced his performance, plus he was an ugly cheat of a human being.

Never forget your Roots.

ffcthereligion

I have made the point before that I understand those of an older generation will obstinately cling onto who they grew up with as being the greatest. I imagine I'll fall into same trap. You might not like it, but the truth is that professional sports people get better as time goes on. Football is now not what it was. I get that it was better in the old days, now it's sanitised, the egos and the money are sickening not to mention the diving. But in terms of footballing talent, consistency, achievement and skill, there is now no debate. It's messi. The level of players in the 70s and 80s was nothing compared to what it is now sorry to break it to you. Maradonna couldn't last 45 minutes in a premier league match.

You can look at his goals, the nature of the goals, assists, trophies won. But what really settles the debate is the longevity. Messi has been at this level for 15+ years. Maradonna half of that. As for pele well he was scoring against farmers im afraid to say

ianthailand

Quote from: ffcthereligion on December 19, 2022, 08:57:42 AM
I have made the point before that I understand those of an older generation will obstinately cling onto who they grew up with as being the greatest. I imagine I'll fall into same trap. You might not like it, but the truth is that professional sports people get better as time goes on. Football is now not what it was. I get that it was better in the old days, now it's sanitised, the egos and the money are sickening not to mention the diving. But in terms of footballing talent, consistency, achievement and skill, there is now no debate. It's messi. The level of players in the 70s and 80s was nothing compared to what it is now sorry to break it to you. Maradonna couldn't last 45 minutes in a premier league match.

You can look at his goals, the nature of the goals, assists, trophies won. But what really settles the debate is the longevity. Messi has been at this level for 15+ years. Maradonna half of that. As for pele well he was scoring against farmers im afraid to say
That's because he played on ploughed fields. Messi has never played in a competitive league like Best and Ronaldo. Neither did Pele to be fair. Just goes to show how difficult it is to compare different generations. I read Puskas's life story, he started playing with a ball made of rags and became one of the greatest ever.

ffcthereligion

Quote from: ianthailand on December 19, 2022, 09:02:54 AM
Quote from: ffcthereligion on December 19, 2022, 08:57:42 AM

That's because he played on ploughed fields. Messi has never played in a competitive league like Best and Ronaldo. Neither did Pele to be fair. Just goes to show how difficult it is to compare different generations. I read Puskas's life story, he started playing with a ball made of rags and became one of the greatest ever.

I accept that point and it is in truth an asinine debate. What gets me more is the denial of messi. From a goals perspective he's scored 793 compared to maradonna's 338, yet above it's 'definitely Maradonna'. When you consider maradonnas character its almost insulting to be honest

bog

Quote from: ianthailand on December 19, 2022, 02:17:41 AM
Pele by a country mile for me. Best second, Puskas third.

Morning from sun drenched Kent. Pleased to see Puskas a is rightly remembered.   

Mr White

I don't understand why we have to have the greatest,all the players mention are great in there own right in there
  Own era,it's like saying who is the greatest artist ,Picasso, pollock,Renoir,or man ray.
  Or maybe the greatest band , stones or the Beatles.makes no sense to me.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mr White on December 19, 2022, 09:26:01 AM

I don't understand why we have to have the greatest,all the players mention are great in there own right in there
  Own era,it's like saying who is the greatest artist ,Picasso, pollock,Renoir,or man ray.
  Or maybe the greatest band , stones or the Beatles.makes no sense to me.

The voice of reason.

Never forget your Roots.

jarv

George best by a mile. The first superstar entertainer. Different era, a bit slower, but sadly cameras at games were few and far between. luckily, we got to see him often at Fulham, brilliant, in the twilight of his playing days too.

Rupert

I fully agree with Woolly.

That is a worrying development.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Andy S

Yes I agree it has to be Best. At his prime other players were frightened of him on some very poor pitches. An absolutely brilliant player with magic feet

gang